“Beautiful inn, terrible owners” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morning Glory Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Morning Glory Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, PA
“Beautiful inn, terrible owners”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2005

This B&B is stunning, I don't want to take anything away from that. I can understand how brides picture a fairy tale wedding reception when they visit the Morning Glory Inn. I was a member of a wedding party and the reception was held there. The owners were almost unbearable throughout the night. My biggest complaint is not being given a key to the room that was rented for me even though my belongings were already inside the room. Let me ask, if you're paying to rent a hotel room is it a problem if you're not given a key to that room? I wanted to freshen up my hair and makeup in my room and the innkeeper, Nancy, refused to give me a key. Instead, she let me into the room and then stood outside the door like a prison warden waiting for me to finish inside and locked the door behind me. I requested a key to my room several times and every time she refused to give me one. When I asked her why, she had no reason other than "it works better this way." The mother of the bride, the person who paid for the reception, requested keys to the rooms and was refused also.

Guests at the reception were treated coldly and stared/glared at by the owners. I believe every word of the bad reviews this place has received after having the privilege ;) of meeting the innkeepers. Planning a wedding and reception is stressful enough without having the added concern of these innkeepers ruining your party. Save yourself some trouble and disappointment.

• Stayed October 2004
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank Erin W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2005

I had my wedding at the Morning Glory in August of 2004 and my experience was much different than the other reviewers. Yes, the InnKeepers did have strong ideas of how a MG wedding should be.
And they should have those strong ideas as the space, the size, and the location are conducive for a certain type of wedding. If you are looking for a traditional style reception complete w/ open bar, loud DJ and dancing until all hours, then the MG is not for you. If you are looking for a beautiful garden and indoor setting for your guests to talk, mingle, eat, drink wine, and relax, then the MG is a great place.

• Stayed August 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2004

What a great place, tucked away in the South Side.

The history of the building is amazing, and the decor was beautiful throughout.

We stayed at the Morning Glory in January 03, and had a great time.
Arrived pretty late according to B&B standards, but the innkeepers were very accomodating. Our room was beautiful, complete with a fireplace in the bathroom! Very comfortable and quiet.

I'd definitely recommend this inn.

And we weren't there for a wedding.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
County Wexford, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2004

Do not go here. You will be so dissappointed.

I was so extremely excited for my wedding - the first in my immediate family. I thought the sight would be perfect and was promised a unique event - unlike other wedding parties.

Then the nightmare began. The owners were incredibly pushy and rude. They insisted I do everything their way - including bluegrass band. I was left feeling terrible when my plans didn't line up with their plans. I was in a panic thinking they would do something horrible to me on the day of my wedding. I had to send my mother over to talk to them and let them know that they were scaring me.

The owners were extremely upset that I had a DJ at their event. They insisted that it would ruin my day. They said they would keep the party flowing and that a DJ was unnecessary. I had undue stress months before the wedding because of their refusal to have a DJ there.

The reception was wonderful because I was celebrating with family and friends. But the owners were no where in sight to keep the party flowing. People were leaving at seven thirty (the event started at five). I finally had to run around and consult with the DJ on how to get people to stay. He was wonderful - John Mazcio. I heard later the owners were patrolling the establishment - glaring at guests who didn't ensure drinks were placed on coasters. And also - ensuring guests of the bed and breakfast couldn't get into their rooms! Seriously. I found out that my wedding party were locked out of their rooms and the owner would only allow them to be in the rooms if she were right there with the key. (Even though we paid thousands of dollars to rent the whole establishment for a night.) I (the bride) had to knock on my door and wait for the innkeeper to notice that I wanted in my own room for the night. And she ensured that none of my bridesmaids would decorate the newlywed room. (Even though they managed to sneak some battery operated candles and fake flowers up to the room.)

The owners ended up charging us an unexpected 1000 dollars the night before the wedding to rent tents in the chance it might rain. Even though I am pretty sure they own the tents and it cost them nothing.

When the DJ left at 10:00 the owners prompty started shutting down the place and all my family and friends left. No music was turned on for atmosphere. We were basically kicked out -just like in a hotel when your time is up.

So many things were wrong with this establishment. I am so sad that I ever had my wedding there. The owners were my only source of stress and sorrow for the whole event.

I am embarrassed that my guests were treated in such a rude fashion. I am upset that my very expensive wedding reception was a flop. The only failures and flops were because of the intentional mistreatment by the owners of the Morning Glory Inn - Dave and Nancy.

Please don't have your wedding here. The horror stories are only beginning to surface on this venue because the innkeepers are so new to having weddings.

They treat you and your guests as if you are imposing on their home. Don't waste the money. I thought I would never want a hotel wedding and now I WISH that is what I would have done.

Hope you were informed.

• Stayed October 2004
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
38 Thank mpalmtree36
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2004

The Inn is truly amazing. From the antique candle holders to the narrow wooden staircases, this is a wonderful venue. The garden is aged and beautiful, with gentle moss and ivy growing on brick you feel like you are in another country far away... and then you see the Bride, whose day it is, red faced and pissed off. You have to ask yourself "How could this be?" Then the answer comes in the form of a whiney waif of an Innkeeper. This guy was such a jerk about every detail. He used bait and switch tactics when the couple booked the place, telling them they could stay up until 2am and asking them to shut down at 11pm the day of the reception. Furthermore, he cut the maximum number of people that were able to attend the wedding after they had already agreed to a number. He hemmed and hawed at everything that took place. He even denied the Bride from getting more of HER wedding cake once it was put in the fridge. Eventually, we all realized that this guy was not going to ruin this special day and we all just did our best to ignore him. The caterers were awesome in both service and quality of product.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2004

We recently rented the Morning Glory Inn for our wedding and I can say this is a truly a unique location. The place is stunning. The courtyard makes for a unique setting. If you want a formal garden wedding and reception this is definitely the only place in Pittsburgh that can offer that. The rooms are immaculate and gorgeous. However, the innkeepers were EXTREMELY rude to our bridal party, guests and, yes, even our parents. At this point, I can't say I regret having our wedding there because the ups (everything but the innkeepers) outweigh the downs (eventually they do leave). Be wary of the fact that you will hear horror stories from your guests, relatives, bosses and family due to the lack of courtesy at the Morning Glory.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member