“Had our wedding here & it was horrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Morning Glory Inn

Morning Glory Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh
“Had our wedding here & it was horrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

Do no plan your wedding here! It looks beautiful and the Innkeepers make it seem like a dream when really its a nightmare in disguise. They charge way to much for a weekend stay and a crazy amount for a wedding. If you do not obey by what they want, they act inferior to you. They are horrible innkeepers as they make it seem otherwise. The amount of money you spend on staying here or having your wedding you could have it at the Omini hotel or Phipps conservatory. Everything is dated inside and needs simple repairs!

• Liked — The Garden
  • Disliked — The owners/innkeepers!
  • Stayed October 2007
8 Thank Jessika07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

The Morning Glory Inn is a beautiful Victorian house – the room was comfortable and spacious (I stayed in the Garden Room) and in a fun area of Pittsburgh for dining and shopping. It even had a flat screen TV and fast wireless. Dave and Nancy were wonderful hosts. I have to admit, however, that I was afraid about the experience before I actually got there. I had booked the room before I read some earlier reviews. It was too late to cancel so I figured I was in for a nightmare. On the contrary, it was the most pleasant stay I’ve ever had in a bed & breakfast (I’ve stayed in quite a few).

• Liked — Appearance
  • Disliked — No elevator
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2008

I am a business traveler and spend a lot of time in Pittsburgh. I normally stay at SpringHill Suites by the Stadiums, but as my stay got extended, I decided to try something more personal and I moved to this bed and breakfast on the more fun "SouthSide". I am so happy I made that choice, because my Pittsburgh experience completely changed after I started staying at the Morning Glory.

My room was great and had its own bathroom, and Internet, so I could do my work. And I could comfortably bring clients to meet in the many sitting rooms or outside terraces. The Inn Keepers Nancy And Dave Eshelman where very friendly and had a good sense of humor... I found them to be "real" as opposed to the robotic smiley faced name tag wearing corporate desk workers at the previous hotel, who would sweat if I even made a joke because it did not fit into their trained response format. I think this is one of the reasons I like staying there (especially because my stay was extended) Some may like fake smiles and robotic behavior, but to me it gets old. In any event, I was always greeted with a good morning, and my coffee ready. I ended up just hanging in the kitchen most mornings telling the stories of the night before, with lots of laughs. Joy, the housekeeper also was very helpful, even making sure there was coffee waiting for my occasional afternoon meetings.

The best part was, because the rooms have their own bathrooms etc, if I felt like coming and going without the social interaction, I easily could and the bed and breakfast became a classy four star hotel.

The Eshelmans brought me to the neighboring restaurant Dish, and recommended other local places, including the City Theater and Ibiza, a great Tapas restaurant around the corner. Before I knew it I was tuned into Pittsburgh! That didn’t happen at the Spring Hill Suites, I can tell you.

I recommend this bed and breakfast to any business traveler that is sick of the corporate hotel doldrums. I also recommend it as a romantic getaway. I am not married, but I can tell you when I finally did meet a girl; she came to visit and we sat on the swing in the balcony over the rhododendrons, and, well, I was so grateful I was not at the corporate hotel (hotel chain room + suit = salesman sleaze!)

The Inn looked to be fantastic for a weddings also, I even thought of crashing one there after seeing the “Wedding Crashers” movie but I didn’t; hey it was a movie!

I say, if you are looking for something special, don’t hesitate to try the Morning Glory Inn when you visit Pittsburgh.

• Liked — The beauty of the Hotel.. truly great way to see Pittsburgh
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Wallkill, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed at the Morning Glory Inn for our friends wedding. Upon arrival we weren't sure where to put our things (because we did not know where our room was). There was no one around to check us in. When we finally spoke to the innkeeper Dave, he first said that we were not on his list and when my husband looked at the list we were there. When my husband asked him where our room was he was not helpful at all, he just told us where it was and we had to try to find it on our own. We didn't know which one it was so we just picked a room and stayed in it. He was not very helpful or welcoming.

There was no suggestion for parking. I asked him if it was okay to park on the street all night - he looked at me like I was stupid.

He made many of the guests feel uncomfortable. In fact even at the wedding, we all discussed our encounters with him and how he was making us feel unwelcome. He kept turning the music down and did not seem to want the guests to have a good time.
The overall feeling that he lent to the day was tension. He made us feel like we were intruding on his space.

The beds were comfortable, the rooms clean and the bathrooms spacious. The breakfast the next day was small but delicious. If it were not for the hospitality of the innkeepers, the place would have been great. They made the experience a terrible one. Too bad.

• Liked — It's location
  • Disliked — The Innkeepers
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank thg5008
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2007

I made this trip with some friends this past weekend. The rooms we booked were negotiated at $175 over the phone. Then the innkeepers pulled a bait and switch when we got there and put us in rooms that were $190 and $210 and didn't give them to us at the original price, but instead charged us the higher price.

The male innkeeper had the personality of a doorknob. The place was dirty, the sink handle broke off in the bathroom as I turned on the water, there were white splotches of previous toothpaste users in the bathroom all over the walls, the water sat in the tub not able to drain while I took a shower, the hot water lasted 5 minutes before turning freezing cold, the rooms were cold with no ability to turn the heat up on your own, it was very noisy outside late into the night, there was no door to one of the bathrooms of the two rooms we rented, the tvs were so small you could hardly see them, the carpeting was in need of a good cleaning.

The innkeepers were not there to greet us when we arrived. We had to phone them because they are smart enough themselves to live elsewhere. I felt as though I was putting these people out by staying here. We lugged our stuff up three flights of stairs. For $900 for two rooms for two nights, we could have stayed at the Omni downtown with no hassle and pleasant people that have people to help you and elevators!

At breakfast, I sat shivering in my seat while the owners just looked at me like I was crazy to think that the temperature should be more than 60 degrees. When one of my friends went downstairs to get coffee, the innkeeper provided her with a few drops and told her it was a teaser to get everyone downstairs. She would not even give them a full cup of coffee because clearly they are not adults and cannot decide on their own how much coffee they want when they wake up. The breakfast was simple and inexpensive. In fact, it appeared that they cut corners on everything to gouge people and make as much profit as they can before the word gets out about how dreadful they are at their jobs. Limited heat, limited food, no service.

If you are thinking about having a wedding in this place, I cannot imagine a more horrible experience to be had. Unless you want to be told exactly how everything is going to be for you and have no service to boot, run!

The male innkeeper hung up on me today when I called him. I told him I was unhappy with the experience and that the price we paid was not the price that was originally quoted. He didn't even apologize. I told him I was writing this review and several others. He didn't seem phased about it. He had no concern for me as a PAYING (and very high paying, at that) customer that was unhappy. I would have loved to have gone through this laundry list of catastrophies, but he said that he didn't have to listen to it and hung up on me.

I travel very frequently (at least once a week) and stay in all kinds of places. This is by far the worst experience I have ever had for an overnight accommodation. I was compelled to write this review to spare others the agony of staying at this bed and breakfast.

There are hundreds of other options in Pittsburgh - I'd recommend the Sheraton Station Square, the Omni, the Hilton downtown or popping your own tent over this place. I wish I had read the other reviews before making this reservation.

Please send me a note if you have any questions, I could write a book about this experience. I wish these innkeepers nothing but failure on their mission to swindle people with subpar service and their terrible attitudes.

• Liked — The woman who helped with breakfast was nice (too bad she had to work for these people!)
  • Disliked — everything - it was horrible!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
14 Thank Joscat
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2007

At first glance this home appears to be steeped in charm and grace. But more than a passing glance will leave most travelers feeling fleeced and winded. Never have I paid so much for so little service.
The owners had no problem charging higher rates than quoted when booked and were invisible when four people had to carry heavy suitcases up three narrow, steep flights. If shelling out $900 for two beds (total for four people, who are not couples) for two nights doesn't sit well with you then neither will the so so cleanliness of the place or the cold showers.
Breakfast was on the light side; no choices and no meats. I felt a bit like an unwelcome guest; left to tend and fend for myself. My room faced the street and the noise of partiers yelling and screaming and banging on doors went on until 3:00 a.m. This was not a holiday or super bowl weekend. When the noise died down I tossed and turned because the room was freezing!
According to the notes on the wall and the night stand, "guests" are forbidden from touching the thermostats and are not supposed to sit on the bed covers. Nothing warm or cozy about this place.
I mentioned the noise and cold to the owners but I was met with a blank stare. Maybe these owners used to be into the whole "B&B" thing, but it's obvious - that shipped sailed a long time ago.
So, unless you absolutely crave a steep climb to a poorly lit, cold, (no, make that freezing), small and not too tastefully appointed room, then take the other reviewers advice: You'll get your money's worth if you pitch a tent and you'll enjoy a similar level of service and warmth.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The noise lack of service.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
11 Thank MookieinNY
Ligonier, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2007

Guess this could be a slam of both the Morning Glory Inn AND Orbitz. Booked online through Orbitz and got a confirmation. Just being cautious, I called the inn to confirm. The astoundingly rude innkeeper said he had no record of the reservation, and no availability. Okay, I called Orbitz. They faxed the reservation and repeatedly attempted to contact the innkeeper. Last night, he told them he was stepping out for dinner but to call in the AM. This morning, Orbitz called repeatedly and the call never got answered. I called and was answered immediately, so it was pretty clear he was ducking calls from Orbitz. He said he would not honor the reservation, and that he "didn't give a damn" about Orbitz's confirmation to me.

All in all, Orbitz was a comedy of errors and this guy was just a garden-variety jerk. The place could be beautiful, but clearly the innkeepers are nightmarish. I will vociferously warn people away from this place!!!!!!!!!

Lauren