“Great food, good value”

Cuisines: Taiwanese
Neighborhood: Squirrel Hill South
Neighborhood: Squirrel Hill South
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I have been here a few times with my friends and have always had a great meal. The food is delicious and reasonably priced. If you want a good Taiwanese place, Rose Tea is definitely it worth visiting.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

I had dinner here the other night. I was dining alone and was hoping for a table in the back but they seated me right in the middle of the little restaurant. It was fine though, there was a guy seated near me who was also dining alone so it was fine. The service was fast and efficient.

I had a deliciously crispy little spring roll, it was yummy and only $1.50. I had the hot and sour soup which was great and had tons of those funky little mushrooms. I had a seafood/noodle dish for my entree and it was delicious. My only complaint is that the entree was VERY oily. It tasted really great at the time but it was a lot of oil and the leftovers were soaked in it.

Overall this was a good meal, I just thought it was overpriced for the quality. It was a good meal but I thought $20 with tip was overpriced.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

This has been by far the worst experience at a restaurant I have ever had.

Me and my three friends visited the Rose Tea Cafe a few days ago to order bubble tea. We sat down and gave the waitress our orders — each of us had gotten a bubble tea — to which the waitress questioned, “Just bubble tea?” and we said yes that was all.

An older female waitress brought us our drinks but rudely told us that normally we’re not allowed to just get bubble tea and if we did then we had to get it to go we couldn’t sit down. We’re a little flustered because she brought the drinks out in mugs so how could we leave now anyway? And also why hadn’t the other waitress told us from the start that we weren’t allowed to order only bubble tea?

After finishing out tea the waitress gives us the check which is totaled all together. We get up to pay and I ask the older waitress if we can pay for these separately because some of us had cash and some had cards. We were ordered to sit back down at the table and she came over to tell us that no we could not pay it separately and could not pay with cards so luckily one of my friends pulled out a twenty and paid for all of us. Why hadn’t the waitress told us when we first ordered the tea that she couldn’t put them on separate bills or let us pay separately?

By this time we’re ready to head out of the Rose Tea Cafe after the ridiculous service we had been receiving but before we can go the older waitress once again visits us at our table and starts to explain to us as though we had never been to a restaurant before that this is a “service” restaurant and so we should leave a tip. We’re in complete shock that after being harassed about our order and our method of payment we’re now being asked to leave a tip, which we weren’t planning on doing at all.

After that, the younger waitress comes up to us and says, “You don’t have to leave a tip, but next time just get the drinks and go.”

They stare us down us as we leave a one dollar tip.

Needless to say, none of us will ever be visiting that restaurant again and I would suggest that anyone who reads this doesn’t go either. The entire time we were treated with disrespect and hostility.

2  Thank jab1553
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Delicious food, fast serving, and locally popular bubble teas. Busy, tad crowded, but emblematic of authentic Taiwanese-style eating culture.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 13, 2009

One of those places you just keep coming back to.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook