“Disappointing On The River at Station Square” 1 of 5 bubbles

Gandy Dancer Saloon
Ranked #152 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Disappointing On The River at Station Square”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was very much looking forward to going down to Station Square and enjoying an outdoor lunch with some business contacts.

First of all...there is NO PARKING at Station Square. The parking garage is no full all the time so I literally had to walk 3/4 of a mile across a HOT parking lot and was sweating profusely in my business jacket and was promptly informed that I could have chosen to valet my car. Where were the signs?

Then, made my way un-escorted to the outdoor covered dining area and was greated by incredibly dusty and dirty chairs. So we had to stand for several minutes while we waited for someone to clean the chairs.

After we reviewed the menu and the very inflated prices we were expecting "off the charts" food. Uh...No!

Do not order the scallops appetizer...they're over priced, tiny little morsals and not very good.

My crab bisque was again, over priced and certainly doesn't't compare to other venues around Pittsburgh at a fraction of the price.

We were able to enjoy some of the Station Square ambiance and the weather was nice so the $38 dollars spent for a very light lunch was not a total loss.

I won't be going back to Station Square or the Gandy Dancer anytime soon. There are just too many great restaurants on the South Side of Pittsburgh that care much more about the customer's dining experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

“Delicious Scallop appetizer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Had lunch here today. Good server and decent food. Had the fish tacos they were ok, but my husband had the crab club and he loved it. The appetizer was great and the drinks were good. Atmosphere was awesome really neat old building.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“I think this place is going down hill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Food,wine selection and service use to be so much better. No more king crab legs appt. food and service very mediocre in what use to be one of the cities premier waterholes. It's just OK now.

1 Thank Mike T
Miami, Florida
“Then and now: nice memory and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

In the 1950s I would regularly go through the P&LE RR Station to check out the trains and sometimes to get on one. Now that historic building is the site of the Grand Concourse Restaurant and the Gandy Dancer Saloon. The first is very elegant, the second more casual which is what I wanted after completing a marathon in Pittsburgh. I was with three other adults. We had good service, food, wine ... and the prices weren't that bad. I'll go back next time I am in Pittsburgh (visiting from Miami).

• Visited May 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“first date follow up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Spent a wonderful first date in and around the Shoppes at Station Square. Had a passable dinner at another establishment, but went for coffee and dessert at The Gandy Dancer...wow!
Not only is the atmosphere quirky, ornate, and just plain beautiful, but everything else was great too.
The service staff from first encounter at the door was professional, engaging, and efficient.
though we only had coffee drinks and dessert, the presentation and taste was wonderful.
Much kudos and will certainly be back for a meal.

• Visited February 2012