“Paranoid Schizophrenic woman knocking on my motel room door”

Quality Inn University Center
Ranked #53 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 14, 2010

First of all, I have to totally agree with all the other negative commentators about the "very strong smell of cleaning products in the hallways". My room inside was very dingy, the comforter looked about 15 years old, the desk had a sticky substance on it which I cleaned off myself. I was approached by a panhandler outside in the parking lot of the motel upon arriving--I mentioned the incident to the front desk person and he didn't seem to care one bit about the pandhandler loitering in the parking lot. Then I was awoken at 8am by a paranoid schizophrenic woman banging on my door; upon slightly opening the door, she shoved the door open with her arm faster than my reflexes could react given I was half asleep. After about a minute of trying to de-escalate her myself, she stormed off back into the hallway. I called the front desk and alerted them of the situation and they said they'd call the police--I was given no apologies from them for the disturbance. I then found out from the cleaning guy on the floor that apparently she has been living in the motel for 4 months which I found uncanny considering the motel staff must have known about this but yet did nothing to rectify the situation (ie. contacting the authorities). So needless to say, yes, my stay at this motel was highly unfavorable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Bryan1379

Reviewed August 30, 2010

For 70 bucks, what can someone expect? This was the first hotel I found off the street, it was midnight and I was tired. I'm not a very anal person, so no, I didn't get on my hands and knees and put on my latex gloves and check for dust underneath the bed. I also forgot my uv light at home, so I couldn't check the sheets to find any undetected stains. The place isn't updated, but my only purpose for staying at Quality was to sleep, nothing more (I prefer to spend my vacation outside of a hotel room). Can't tell ya about their customer service since my boyfriend checked in. I also have this wonderful device called a smartphone that has internet, so I didn't need to ask the front desk for anything. All in all, I would stay again. All I needed was a bed and a shower, and I got one in a decent area for a decent price.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Good things: Good location especially if you are visiting Carnegie Mellon or U Pitt. Bed linens were very clean.

Bad things: Crumbling paint. Loud street noise. Overwhelming smell of cleaning products.

Final opinion: OK for one night if you're not picky about the setting. I wouldn't stay longer.
BTW - no sure why the website advertises "bellmen"... Didn't see any.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2010

It's old and a bit dingy but the location can't be beat! Our housekeeper did a great job cleaning the room and with Panera Bread downstairs, the comfort level was quite good. Other hotels in the area have big parking issues and this place you're in and out on your own without all the fuss.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Guestess
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Stayed for one night while travelling through Pittsburgh. The location is pretty good, only about 5 minutes from the downtown area. The hotel itself is old and slightly dingy, but it's clean and had a comfy bed. We had no problems and got a good night's rest.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

New paint & wallpaper desperately needed. In room coffee maker was filthy. Bathroom needed mopped. Blood drop on lamp shade. Dried drip of something on the wall under the picture. The ice & pop machine where on alternating floors. The whole hotel needed updated. Only benefit was the Panera Bread on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2010

My family had to drive around twice to find the entrance, and when we got in the hotel it wasn't much for the $200 bucks a night we spent. Not much at all. Overall it was dim, dusty, rarely vaccumed, stunk of 20 different cleaning products, and very, very out of date. There were attempts made at fix-ups, but it made the room complicated with switches that never worked or led to nowhere, and paper-thin walls between rooms and the hallways. The only way I was able to fall asleep at night was by turning on the fan to cover up the neighbors talking. Furniture is basic, staff tired and sullen except for a few. The only good things were free wifi and HBO, and a clean shower and soft beds.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family