“My feet were afraid to touch the floor”

Quality Inn University Center
Ranked #51 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My feet were afraid to touch the floor”
Reviewed May 16, 2010

My family had to drive around twice to find the entrance, and when we got in the hotel it wasn't much for the $200 bucks a night we spent. Not much at all. Overall it was dim, dusty, rarely vaccumed, stunk of 20 different cleaning products, and very, very out of date. There were attempts made at fix-ups, but it made the room complicated with switches that never worked or led to nowhere, and paper-thin walls between rooms and the hallways. The only way I was able to fall asleep at night was by turning on the fan to cover up the neighbors talking. Furniture is basic, staff tired and sullen except for a few. The only good things were free wifi and HBO, and a clean shower and soft beds.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 25, 2010

To start, at check in, a new girl was training. She seemed nice enough but wasn't sure about a few things with the process. Another girl was there, I assumed, to help her but was too busy chatting with the shuttle driver to do anything more than bark instructions at her when she had a question. Ok, not too bad, but it gets worse.

We were in town to celebrate my sister's birthday. The girl who came with me and I have both stayed at this location before and used the courtesy shuttle to take us down to Southside, E. Carson specifically. So my friend called the front desk to ask if we could do that again and they said they couldn't. Which isn't a problem since it says its an Oakville shuttle... but they were extremely rude when we asked if they would schedule a cab for us. Very surly, disinterested, etc. (Just a note, I don't need someone else to call a cab for me but in my experience its usually better to ask the staff to call because they often know a great cabbie...) We asked for a cab pickup at 7:15, and were down in the lobby by ten after. After waiting 15 minutes I started getting nervous and double checked with the front desk. I just wanted to make sure the cab was called. She told me she heard the guy call for it, and told me she would give me the number so I could "figure it out."

Well I figured it out. The cab was out the hotel ten minutes early and the front desk couldn't be bothered to let us know. Yellow Cab, however was extremely gracious about getting another cab to us extremely quickly.

So, we finally arrived at dinner about fifteen minutes late. Now this was a 21st birthday celebration so of course we were all drinking and my friend and I went out afterwards with a big group. That lead to lots of shots (again, 21st birthday celebration, we weren't buying but we weren't turning them down either...) and lots of shots lead to wanting a pizza when we got back to the hotel. Now we ordered late night pizza before, and there was always literature in the room, menus, recommendations etc but for some reason this time there weren't. So I called the front desk and asked (nicely, I promise, I work in the service industry as a bartender and I know how annoying drunk people can be) if they had a number for a nearby pizza place that would be delivering at that time of night. She told me to come down and get menus from the front desk.

I guess it would have been too much trouble to read me a phone number. I mean give me a break! So after all of this, and confirming that they would let the driver in, and also talking to me like an idiot for wanting pizza (I doubt we are the first people to ever ask for a pizza at 1:30 AM) she called up when the delivery guy was coming up and her voice was just dripping with contempt or something. I just don't know why someone would be so offended or put out by our request for a a phone number to order some food, but maybe we didn't follow the correct asking for pizza protocol. I just don't know. It was just weird honestly.

Now on the shape of the hotel... I stay a lot of different places. I have no problem with a cheap basic hotel room when we just need a place to stay, but I expect cleanliness (which didn't happen here) and really... this place was just plain shabby. You can see where there were some kind of round metal plates on the wall, probably from a previous lighting fixture or something, and they were just papered over. All the walls had dips and bumps in them, again, just papered over.

I had to iron a shirt (who doesn't at hotels?) and not only was the iron grungy/grimy but it also leaked and the steam function didn't work.

The bathroom had a short curly black hair in the bathtub (eeeewwwwwwwwww) and toothpaste flecks on the lighting timer. The hairdryer, just like the iron, was grungy and grimy.

Sleeping areas seemed fine if outdated (very outdated!). Polyester blend bed spreads and the sheets and towels seemed clean. The decor is not really decor. Its more functional than anything. However, while looking for a missing shoe the morning of our departure I happened to look under the bed and Oh.My.God. Filthy filthy filthy. Just dusty, crumby and littered with what looked like tiny blue rubber bands. It was very obvious that whoever cleaned didn't bother putting the vacuum anywhere near under the bed in quite a while.

Anyway its definitely worth it to stay somewhere maybe a little farther from where you want to be and spend an extra ten bucks on cabs if you can avoid this place. Our cab ride was 8 dollars down to E. Carson and I would gladly have spent 18 a trip if I could have avoided this hotel. Yuck.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Desperately in need of a face lift! The hallways and rooms are worn and not so clean looking!
We got out of there pretty fast! But the staff were friendly, polite and very helpful! They get a great rating! The hotel is in a great location and the parking is free- such a shame the property is so outdated!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, ON
Reviewed February 20, 2010

Obviously this wasn't a five star hotel, but I didn't expect it to be. I went there with my wife and we stayed for four days. We were in town for a Pittsburgh Penguins game and some sightseeing. The location wasn't bad, it had parking, and the Panera bakery below it was a definite plus. The hotel also offers free wifi. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The main thing this place has going for it is its location. Very little else. The fittings are tired and worn. The staff (with a couple of exceptions) were sullen and unsmiling. My toilet blocked up and I assumed the cleaner would notice and have it fixed. No such luck - he obviously hadn't even looked at it. If you've never been there before, it is actually unclear where the entrance is. A good place would have a helpful sign with an arrow somewhere in the parking lot. I think a lot of people assume incorrectly that the entrance is in the Panera on the ground floor. For the price, I would have thought it fair for breakfast to be included in the bill. It wasn't. The general location is totally unmemorable and nondescript, although safe. Ho, hum.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Ind
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Sure, it is a little scuffed up but this place is not bad. I really wished they had at least a little breakfast but Panera is connected. Good size rooms and the air conditioner on low will make it feel like the Arctic in minutes. Good keys. Nice staff. Walk a couple of blocks to Forbes and you are in Oakland near Pitt campus with a bunch of good places to see and eat. Parking was fine. The price for near downtown and Pitt/ Carnegie Mellon was really good. Fridge in the room. Pops at $1.50 a bit high. I would stay again. Decent workout room.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GreeleyInd
Dover, Ohio
Reviewed June 19, 2009

It was decent. My husband, friend and I stayed mid-week and it wasn't busy. It was a little shabby and customer service was terrible from the front counter. House keeping was nice. They charged us for the third person and we had no idea until it showed up on our card. Definitely will not stay here or a Quality Inn again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends