“Could have been a lot better”

Quality Inn University Center
Ranked #51 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Denver, Colorado
“Could have been a lot better”
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My overall experience at this hotel was disappointing. The air-conditioning in our room was broken and it was so hot. We asked twice to have someone come fix it, and then were told that it was because we were on the 7th floor and facing west, so the room heats up. I have no idea what that has to do with anything, only that we were sweating all night when the sun is not even out! The staff was friendly but could not seem to get it together-- they said they would call a cab for us, but then we waited 25 minutes for it because I don't think they ever did. Later on we called one and it came in 5 minutes, so not sure what was going on with them.
The hotel was clean though, and the lowest price we saw for anything near Pittsburgh. It is definitely not close to downtown though--count on driving your car in, or taking cabs. If you plan on doing that several times, it might make more sense to pay more to stay closer.

• Liked — Good internet connection
  • Disliked — The broken AC and distance from downtown
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mnree7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Goleta, California
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Stayed here because saw many good reviews on TripAdivsor, and the price was good.

However, our stay was disappointing: (1) visible cigarette burns and musty cigarette odor in a "non-smoking" room. (2) bathroom floor looked like it had been mopped with a dirty mop (3) headboard of bed was "sticky" (don't ask). (4) "Clean" towels had an unpleasant chemical odor. (5) General "shabby" appearance overall.

It was the first time I've seen a sign in the bathroom of a hotel room reading "steam from shower will trigger fire alarm---please close door when showering".

However, overall, it was "acceptable" as a place to stay. Some nice things: (1) being directly above a particularly nice Panera Bread location. (2) Free parking with easy in/out. (3) Convenient location---IF you are familiar with Oakland's maze of confusing streets and know how to get around.

• Liked — Convenient to Panera Bread (in ground floor of hotel)
  • Disliked — Room not as clean as it should have been
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Tampa Bay
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I had stayed here last year for routine hospital visits and the rooms were a great value for the price and location. However when I returned the bathrooms were recently updated and it seemed alot nicer than before, event though I payed 15.00 more than last year. The best part of our time there was the staff, they were so cheerful, helpful, and patient. If your coming to the area I would try and stay here.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
thousand oaks
Reviewed January 12, 2008

Enjoyed my stay at this location. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Location is great. I love the balconies in the rooms, great feature

• Liked — The location is great and the people are friendly
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank jolson7123
Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2007

My rating is based on the fact that this is a 2/3-star hotel and we knew that going in. Although outdated, the room was clean, they provided everything advertised, and it was the best value we could find in a relatively central location (and included free parking). Service wasn't perfect, but I'm not going to nitpick - if you want perfect service, then you should spend the extra money to stay at a 5-star. We got what we wanted - a cheap, clean hotel close to downtown.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MKCAN
Moscow
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Good hotel, especially staff & their service level. Room is spacious enough & quite cozy. However the bath facilities are not cleaned well - found long dark hair everywhere.

Area is a beat remote from downtown - you have to take a bus or cab to go there. So if your main attractions & entertainment are in the old center part, better book a hotel there.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Remote from downtown Pitt
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Stas S
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 27, 2007

I wrote a review two years ago of a visit I'd made to this hotel. At that time I stated "I'd Stay There Again". Well, the opportunity came for me to return to Pittsburgh for one night to visit my daughter at the University of Pittsburgh. Again, I wanted to be within walking distance of campus and her dorm, yet I did not want to spend a lot of money for a room that I'd be sleeping in for only a few hours.
I checked ALL of the accomodations in the vicinity of Pitt and the Quality Inn University Center again offered the best rate plus free parking. The visit started out well with a quick check-in and friendly service from the front desk. I loved the comfortable bed--so much so that I overslept the next morning. It was extremely quiet, especially considering that the motel is located near a major road, a hospital and the University of Pittsburgh. I heard absolutely no noise from within the hotel, even though my floor seemed to be fully booked for the night and I only heard any traffic from outdoors when I began to wake up.
The Quality Inn University Center offers good, basic accomodations at a good, basic price. I said that I would stay there again and I did. And I'll stay there a third time should the opportunity arise.

• Liked — The location, price and free parking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business