Quality Inn University Center
Ranked #53 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This isn't all the Quality Inn's fault, I think part of the reason for my disappointment has to do with Pittsburgh in general. By the way, I love Pittsburgh.

Anyways, my wife and i stayed at the Quality Inn because it is sort of (but not really) close to Downtown Pittsburgh. All the hotels that were actually downtown were $300+ per night, which was out of our price range. We paid around $500 for 4 nights at the Quality Inn. We figured that we would have to pay for some $10 taxi rides, but that was ok, since we were saving $700 on the hotel.

The hotel itself is old, and the rooms show it. Our room was equipped with a nice flatsceen TV, a microwave, and a refridgerator, which came in handy. I'll also mention that the AC unit worked very well.

When we're on vacation, we like to sleep in, so on Friday, we didn't get out of the room until about noon, on Saturday we didn't get out of the room until 1:00 pm and on Sunday we didn't get out of the room until 2:00 pm. We removed the "Do Not Disturb" sign from our door when we left the room every day, yet our room did not get cleaned a single time during our 4 night stay. We were never even offered fresh towels. I understand that we left the room later than most people do, but we've done the same thing in many other hotels, and the room almost always gets cleaned still.

Maybe this was just an accident, but based on the next thing I'm going to write, I think it' s more likely that the staff is just not good at cleaning the hotel. On Sunday night, I was in the bathroom (good shower by the way, with good water pressure), and I heard my wife make a really strange noise. I came out of the bathroom to see what was going on, and as it turns out, while looking for an outlet to plug her phone into near the bed, she discovered a used condom behind the night stand on her side of the bed. Gross. That convinces me that this is a dirty place in general

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you very much for staying at the Quality Inn - University Center and for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. Located about 2 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, we're a short bus or taxi ride away from many attractions. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the amenities in your room. Our new flatscreen TVs and microfridges are a hit with all guests. The new showerheads we recently installed are a favorite, as well. I sincerely apologize for the housekeeping department's shortcomings. I will speak with our housekeeping manager about all of the points you brought up. Please e-mail me at bgreiner@qualityinnpittsburgh.com and let me know the room in which you stayed. This way, I can pinpoint the exact cause of your problem so that similar situations do not occur in the future. Thanks again for being our guest. Again, I apologize for any problems you encountered.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I never realized how expensive Pittsburgh hotels were. This one was the best price I could find and relatively close to downtown. It is very old and almost dilapidated. Breakfast not included but WiFi was free in the room. The location was ok, close to highways and downtown. The walls are thin, the air conditioner very loud and woke us up every time it kicked in. The hotel needs serious renovations.
The first night was 80-something, the second 100-something and the third 170-something! No one in their right mind should charge such an amount for that hotel. Luckily, we dealt with our business fast and didn't need to spend the third night. So the positives are cleanliness and wi fi but the rest...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thanks so much for staying at the Quality Inn and for taking the time to send us your comments. It's great to know that you found our hotel to be clean and enjoyed our free Wi-Fi. In lieu of free breakfast, the attached Panera Bread Cafe is a great feature of the hotel and many people find it to be perfect for their needs. We're in the process of many upgrades. New carpet is coming soon and new furniture is installed in rooms every few weeks. We're proud to make the necessary improvements to the Quality Inn. If you're returning to the area, we'd love to have you as our guest!

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived into Pittsburgh very late a night and just needed a place to sleep and didn't feel like paying a fortune. So for that purpose I would say the Quailty Inn was perfect.
Like I said we arrived late. Just wanted to unwind after a long drive. So it was unfortunate that when we went to lay down and turn the tv on it would not work. We played around with the wires for awhile trying to fix it ourselves. After being unsuccessful we called the front desk. The women was very nice but basically couldn't do anything until her replacement arrived and she could come up to take a look at it. Turns out the remote had no batteries and the tv's can only be turned on by using a remote. Not a big deal just annoying when you are tired and just need to rest!
We had a room with 2 double
beds. The room was very
average. The carpets badly need to be replaced.
No breakfast included but there is a large Panera on the bottom floor so that was very convient!

• Stayed: September 2013
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and for sending us your comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry your remote didn't have batteries and that there was a delay in fixing the problem. It's nice to hear that our staff was friendly and willing to help fix the situation. I wanted to let you know that all TVs can be turned on without a remote. Instead of a physical on/off button, the TVs have a touch panel on the side for power, volume, etc. Most importantly, we are replacing carpet throughout the building later this fall. Thanks again for staying with us. Hopefully, you will return soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this facility and thoroughly enjoyed my all-too-short stay. I was in town on very short notice to train for a new job with a local law firm. The room I stayed in was comfortable, very clean, and conveniently located to my place of business. The Panera restaurant was a nice treat, as were the computer and fax machine/printer in the lobby. The staff was friendly and courteous and extremely professional. I particularly want to commend Assistant General Mgr Ben Greiner for being a big help to me in getting a refund from Travelocity for having to cancel my final two nights at the hotel at the last minute. He personally went to bat for me on the phone with the folks at Travelocity when they gave me a hard time regarding a refund. Mr. Greiner assured them that I was entitled to a refund, since he was only charging me for the one night I stayed at the facility. He is an excellent manager and is a true asset to Quality Inn. I highly recommend this facility to travelers to Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: Room 212 was a great non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Wow! Thank you very much for the kind words! I am happy you liked everything about the hotel. We always try to make a guest's stay 100% enjoyable and am very glad you had such a stay. It was my pleasure assisting you with the folks at Travelocity. Sometimes, a third-party booking source can give you a had time when you need to amend a reservation. I always recommened booking directly through the hotel- we're able to make changes to a reservation much more easily than third-party sites- and save you a lot of time and frustration! I am glad we were able to get everything worked out over the phone with Travelocity, in the end.

Please, don't hesitate to give us a call if you're coming to town in the future. Good luck and congratulations on the new job!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Pittsburgh to visit family, didn't want to stay with them, but didn't want to spend a fortune on a hotel. We didn't need any fancy amenities, just a place to sleep. The decor was dated, but who cares. We had a nice view of the Cathedral of Learning from our small balcony. There was plenty of parking and having the Panera on the first floor was nice. My only complaint is that when we we t to take a shower, the knob was broken and we couldn't get the waterto come on. They said they'd fix it while we were out, but didn't. Then when we got back and the shower still didn't work we changed rooms. They were very apologetic about the problem.

I travel for a living and stay in lots of comparable level hotels and this one was just what I expected it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I'm sorry about the broken shower and our less-than-stellar response time in fixing the issue. However, it's good to know our team took good care of you and moved you to a better room. I'm happy you found us to be resonably priced and that we were able to fulfill your needs and expectations.

If you're ever returning to the area,. give us a call!

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

The room was one of the renovated rooms. The new furniture looked nice. The bed was comfortable.

At check in the staff recognized that I was choice privilege member. The front desk staff was helpful. The front desk also recognized that we were using the hospital rate.

Two small problems presented themselves in the room. First housekeeper left a clean rag near the bed on the floor. Second there was one Kleenex in the tissue box in the bathroom. The front desk was able to get us some Kleenex and they took the cleaning rag and apologized on behalf of housekeeping.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for the nice review! It's good to know that you enjoyed the new furniture! We hope to have the new furniture in all of the rooms over the course of this fall. I'm happy our front desk staff was helpful and recognized you as a Choice Privilege member- we value loyalty and love when members of the frequent stay program come back. I am sorry about the minor issues you encountered but am glad the front desk staff was able to quickly correct the problems.

Come back and see us again very soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was a little skeptical about the hotel going in, but it is in a great location. It is a little dated, and not really fancy, but it is fine for a 2.5 - 3 star hotel in its location. The walls were a little thin, and the room was a bit small. The room I stayed in was a single queen bed. Having the Panera downstairs was nice. The front desk staff were polite, but did not do anything above and beyond. The bed was more comfortable for me than most actually. I didn't wake up with the normal aches and pains from a hotel bed. The room had a balcony, which was nice.
I think if you go in remembering it is not a 4 star hotel, you will come out fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found the Panera Bread to be convenient. It's nice to know that you had a good night's rest. I'm sorry the front desk staff didn't wow you during your stay- they almost always go the extra mile when helping our guests. However, I am pleased that you found them to be polite.

Hopefully, you will come back to town very soon and stay with us again!