“Average”

Quality Inn University Center
Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived into Pittsburgh very late a night and just needed a place to sleep and didn't feel like paying a fortune. So for that purpose I would say the Quailty Inn was perfect.
Like I said we arrived late. Just wanted to unwind after a long drive. So it was unfortunate that when we went to lay down and turn the tv on it would not work. We played around with the wires for awhile trying to fix it ourselves. After being unsuccessful we called the front desk. The women was very nice but basically couldn't do anything until her replacement arrived and she could come up to take a look at it. Turns out the remote had no batteries and the tv's can only be turned on by using a remote. Not a big deal just annoying when you are tired and just need to rest!
We had a room with 2 double
beds. The room was very
average. The carpets badly need to be replaced.
No breakfast included but there is a large Panera on the bottom floor so that was very convient!

• Stayed: September 2013
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and for sending us your comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry your remote didn't have batteries and that there was a delay in fixing the problem. It's nice to hear that our staff was friendly and willing to help fix the situation. I wanted to let you know that all TVs can be turned on without a remote. Instead of a physical on/off button, the TVs have a touch panel on the side for power, volume, etc. Most importantly, we are replacing carpet throughout the building later this fall. Thanks again for staying with us. Hopefully, you will return soon!

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn University Center

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this facility and thoroughly enjoyed my all-too-short stay. I was in town on very short notice to train for a new job with a local law firm. The room I stayed in was comfortable, very clean, and conveniently located to my place of business. The Panera restaurant was a nice treat, as were the computer and fax machine/printer in the lobby. The staff was friendly and courteous and extremely professional. I particularly want to commend Assistant General Mgr Ben Greiner for being a big help to me in getting a refund from Travelocity for having to cancel my final two nights at the hotel at the last minute. He personally went to bat for me on the phone with the folks at Travelocity when they gave me a hard time regarding a refund. Mr. Greiner assured them that I was entitled to a refund, since he was only charging me for the one night I stayed at the facility. He is an excellent manager and is a true asset to Quality Inn. I highly recommend this facility to travelers to Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: Room 212 was a great non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Wow! Thank you very much for the kind words! I am happy you liked everything about the hotel. We always try to make a guest's stay 100% enjoyable and am very glad you had such a stay. It was my pleasure assisting you with the folks at Travelocity. Sometimes, a third-party booking source can give you a had time when you need to amend a reservation. I always recommened booking directly through the hotel- we're able to make changes to a reservation much more easily than third-party sites- and save you a lot of time and frustration! I am glad we were able to get everything worked out over the phone with Travelocity, in the end.

Please, don't hesitate to give us a call if you're coming to town in the future. Good luck and congratulations on the new job!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Pittsburgh to visit family, didn't want to stay with them, but didn't want to spend a fortune on a hotel. We didn't need any fancy amenities, just a place to sleep. The decor was dated, but who cares. We had a nice view of the Cathedral of Learning from our small balcony. There was plenty of parking and having the Panera on the first floor was nice. My only complaint is that when we we t to take a shower, the knob was broken and we couldn't get the waterto come on. They said they'd fix it while we were out, but didn't. Then when we got back and the shower still didn't work we changed rooms. They were very apologetic about the problem.

I travel for a living and stay in lots of comparable level hotels and this one was just what I expected it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I'm sorry about the broken shower and our less-than-stellar response time in fixing the issue. However, it's good to know our team took good care of you and moved you to a better room. I'm happy you found us to be resonably priced and that we were able to fulfill your needs and expectations.

If you're ever returning to the area,. give us a call!

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

The room was one of the renovated rooms. The new furniture looked nice. The bed was comfortable.

At check in the staff recognized that I was choice privilege member. The front desk staff was helpful. The front desk also recognized that we were using the hospital rate.

Two small problems presented themselves in the room. First housekeeper left a clean rag near the bed on the floor. Second there was one Kleenex in the tissue box in the bathroom. The front desk was able to get us some Kleenex and they took the cleaning rag and apologized on behalf of housekeeping.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for the nice review! It's good to know that you enjoyed the new furniture! We hope to have the new furniture in all of the rooms over the course of this fall. I'm happy our front desk staff was helpful and recognized you as a Choice Privilege member- we value loyalty and love when members of the frequent stay program come back. I am sorry about the minor issues you encountered but am glad the front desk staff was able to quickly correct the problems.

Come back and see us again very soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was a little skeptical about the hotel going in, but it is in a great location. It is a little dated, and not really fancy, but it is fine for a 2.5 - 3 star hotel in its location. The walls were a little thin, and the room was a bit small. The room I stayed in was a single queen bed. Having the Panera downstairs was nice. The front desk staff were polite, but did not do anything above and beyond. The bed was more comfortable for me than most actually. I didn't wake up with the normal aches and pains from a hotel bed. The room had a balcony, which was nice.
I think if you go in remembering it is not a 4 star hotel, you will come out fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found the Panera Bread to be convenient. It's nice to know that you had a good night's rest. I'm sorry the front desk staff didn't wow you during your stay- they almost always go the extra mile when helping our guests. However, I am pleased that you found them to be polite.

Hopefully, you will come back to town very soon and stay with us again!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Quality Inn Pittsburgh (University Center) during a trip to Pittsburgh to watch a Pirates Game and tour Heinz Field. The location of this Quality Inn is great and was not hard to navigate to with a GPS. Upon check-in, we were greeted warmly and efficiently checked-in. In fact, the lady that checked us in acknowledged our Choice Privilege Membership to which I was able to provide her with a coupon for 1,000 points (a program Choice Hotels is running right now). Our stay was uneventful. Beds were clean and comfortable, bathroom was clean (towels and toilet paper present), and the television worked with the exception of channels 02 to about 11, which were snowy. Once you got up into the teens, the channels became clear. Again not an issue for us as we just wanted to a place to rest for the night after the game.

The negative reviews on here I think are due to unclear expectations. Would it have been nice to have free breakfast? Sure. This Quality Inn does not “show” well in comparison to some other Quality Inns but all of this should be taken into consideration when booking. I read on here that the manager stated carpet is being replaced in the fall and some of the rooms are being updated, which I am sure is a costly undertaking but it is needed. To their credit, the hotel is not advertising themselves as something that has all the bells and whistles. You get a basic, clean room with free parking in a location that I am sure meets the needs of both necessary stays (such as a hospital issue or visit to Pitt University) or pleasure in nature (Sports Fans).

My son and I were pleased with our room and stay. Again, I was not expecting and did not need an extravagant experience. I was pleased with the rates, loved the free parking (excellent benefit that I would encourage the hotel to continue promoting), and was treated nicely by the staff. My only recommendation would be to have, perhaps, just a small, continental breakfast included in the stay. I completely understand you are not a full service hotel and do not expect a “Comfort Inn” style of breakfast, but some donuts or pastries would be a nice touch. Some basic Econo Lodges offer this type of breakfast. Another idea would be to negotiate a breakfast discount at Panera Bread. For instance, if we show our room key at Panera Bread, we get _____% off. Again, it won’t prevent me from staying in the future, just a nice added touch instead of paying for breakfast at Panera as being your only option.

We’ll probably be returning later in the year for a Steeler’s Game. We look forward to seeing the new carpet maybe by then. My advice to others is to understand what this property is and what it is not as you will be fine. We had a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Family122
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thanks so much for the nice review! I am pleased you found the hotel to be clean and that it suited your needs. We still have a good deal of work to do until all of the upgrades are complete. We are slowly but surely getting there! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Q.I.Univ. Center for
2 nights because he had an appt. at the VA Hospital and
they give a good rate if you are a patient at one
of the hospitals. I always hate to give a negative review when the staff is so nice and accomodating. This hotel had both pros and cons in comparison to the surrounding hotels.
They had free parking which was great and a shuttle that would take you to the hospital as well as other places close by. We asked for an updated room which was posted on another trip advisor review since all rooms have not been renovated yet and the staff was very happy to accomodate this request. I was a little disappointed in this room especially with the fact that it was updated. You can tell they have done some improvements but I really question the person who was in charge of the decorating. The furniture is new but very small...so the new flat screen t.v. which was great was so large for the dresser that they had to put the lamp on the microwave???? and they had this big nice
mirror hanging over and behind the t.v. so all you could see in it was your head in you are short...head & chest if tall.
Anyway, there was this big empty wall with a bench sitting on it that would have been a great place to put the mirror. They did have other mirrors on the bathroom door that you could dress by and they had a little sink outside the bathroom with was nice...along with a sink in the bathroom area. The bathroom door had a great big dirty handprint on it that I cleaned off which was very unappealing. The pictures in the room looked dime store cheap and this
was really weird...when we tired to plug in the computer along with the lamps, coffee pot, etc. the plugs fell out of the outlet and the ones that were already plugged in were just barely hanging in the outlet...didn't look real safe. Also, when unplugging the hairdryer the plate on the outlet would
pull off the wall. This room was very basic but truthfully, it
fulfiled our needs. It had a microwave/refrig. nice t.v. and the air conditoner worked great. The beds were comfortable and clean. The staff was very nice to work with and we enjoyed Panera Breads for breakfast since there was no free breakfast. The shuttle took us to the hospital and was prompt and on time and when we called to be picked up he was there in about 10 minutes. We would definitely stay here again if going to the hospital but if it was for a vacation trip I would not want to stay in the downtown area. All in all there is nothing terrible about this hotel I just think they need to look at the room and evaluate the appearance of it's decor....and it would have been nice to have a table and chair in the room if you wanted to eat in your room, which I did see some table and chairs pictured in the rooms on the website but ours did not have one.
I would give this hotel a good satisfactory.

Room Tip: Until they are finished renovating I would definitely ask for a renovated room.Also, you can request...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to fill out a review on Tripadvisor.com. While we have redone the walls and replaced the furniture in many rooms, there are still many other projects left to complete. Artwork, for example is eventually going to be replaced and new lamps will be purchased. I apologize about the lack of a table in your room. All rooms with two beds should have tables- I had our maintenance team place a table and chair in the room in which you stayed. Thanks again for being our guest. Hopefully, you will return to Pittsburgh soon.