“Things out and things left behind”

Quality Inn University Center
Ranked #54 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

The room was one of the renovated rooms. The new furniture looked nice. The bed was comfortable.

At check in the staff recognized that I was choice privilege member. The front desk staff was helpful. The front desk also recognized that we were using the hospital rate.

Two small problems presented themselves in the room. First housekeeper left a clean rag near the bed on the floor. Second there was one Kleenex in the tissue box in the bathroom. The front desk was able to get us some Kleenex and they took the cleaning rag and apologized on behalf of housekeeping.

• Stayed: August 2013
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for the nice review! It's good to know that you enjoyed the new furniture! We hope to have the new furniture in all of the rooms over the course of this fall. I'm happy our front desk staff was helpful and recognized you as a Choice Privilege member- we value loyalty and love when members of the frequent stay program come back. I am sorry about the minor issues you encountered but am glad the front desk staff was able to quickly correct the problems.

Come back and see us again very soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was a little skeptical about the hotel going in, but it is in a great location. It is a little dated, and not really fancy, but it is fine for a 2.5 - 3 star hotel in its location. The walls were a little thin, and the room was a bit small. The room I stayed in was a single queen bed. Having the Panera downstairs was nice. The front desk staff were polite, but did not do anything above and beyond. The bed was more comfortable for me than most actually. I didn't wake up with the normal aches and pains from a hotel bed. The room had a balcony, which was nice.
I think if you go in remembering it is not a 4 star hotel, you will come out fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found the Panera Bread to be convenient. It's nice to know that you had a good night's rest. I'm sorry the front desk staff didn't wow you during your stay- they almost always go the extra mile when helping our guests. However, I am pleased that you found them to be polite.

Hopefully, you will come back to town very soon and stay with us again!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Quality Inn Pittsburgh (University Center) during a trip to Pittsburgh to watch a Pirates Game and tour Heinz Field. The location of this Quality Inn is great and was not hard to navigate to with a GPS. Upon check-in, we were greeted warmly and efficiently checked-in. In fact, the lady that checked us in acknowledged our Choice Privilege Membership to which I was able to provide her with a coupon for 1,000 points (a program Choice Hotels is running right now). Our stay was uneventful. Beds were clean and comfortable, bathroom was clean (towels and toilet paper present), and the television worked with the exception of channels 02 to about 11, which were snowy. Once you got up into the teens, the channels became clear. Again not an issue for us as we just wanted to a place to rest for the night after the game.

The negative reviews on here I think are due to unclear expectations. Would it have been nice to have free breakfast? Sure. This Quality Inn does not “show” well in comparison to some other Quality Inns but all of this should be taken into consideration when booking. I read on here that the manager stated carpet is being replaced in the fall and some of the rooms are being updated, which I am sure is a costly undertaking but it is needed. To their credit, the hotel is not advertising themselves as something that has all the bells and whistles. You get a basic, clean room with free parking in a location that I am sure meets the needs of both necessary stays (such as a hospital issue or visit to Pitt University) or pleasure in nature (Sports Fans).

My son and I were pleased with our room and stay. Again, I was not expecting and did not need an extravagant experience. I was pleased with the rates, loved the free parking (excellent benefit that I would encourage the hotel to continue promoting), and was treated nicely by the staff. My only recommendation would be to have, perhaps, just a small, continental breakfast included in the stay. I completely understand you are not a full service hotel and do not expect a “Comfort Inn” style of breakfast, but some donuts or pastries would be a nice touch. Some basic Econo Lodges offer this type of breakfast. Another idea would be to negotiate a breakfast discount at Panera Bread. For instance, if we show our room key at Panera Bread, we get _____% off. Again, it won’t prevent me from staying in the future, just a nice added touch instead of paying for breakfast at Panera as being your only option.

We’ll probably be returning later in the year for a Steeler’s Game. We look forward to seeing the new carpet maybe by then. My advice to others is to understand what this property is and what it is not as you will be fine. We had a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Family122
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thanks so much for the nice review! I am pleased you found the hotel to be clean and that it suited your needs. We still have a good deal of work to do until all of the upgrades are complete. We are slowly but surely getting there! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Q.I.Univ. Center for
2 nights because he had an appt. at the VA Hospital and
they give a good rate if you are a patient at one
of the hospitals. I always hate to give a negative review when the staff is so nice and accomodating. This hotel had both pros and cons in comparison to the surrounding hotels.
They had free parking which was great and a shuttle that would take you to the hospital as well as other places close by. We asked for an updated room which was posted on another trip advisor review since all rooms have not been renovated yet and the staff was very happy to accomodate this request. I was a little disappointed in this room especially with the fact that it was updated. You can tell they have done some improvements but I really question the person who was in charge of the decorating. The furniture is new but very small...so the new flat screen t.v. which was great was so large for the dresser that they had to put the lamp on the microwave???? and they had this big nice
mirror hanging over and behind the t.v. so all you could see in it was your head in you are short...head & chest if tall.
Anyway, there was this big empty wall with a bench sitting on it that would have been a great place to put the mirror. They did have other mirrors on the bathroom door that you could dress by and they had a little sink outside the bathroom with was nice...along with a sink in the bathroom area. The bathroom door had a great big dirty handprint on it that I cleaned off which was very unappealing. The pictures in the room looked dime store cheap and this
was really weird...when we tired to plug in the computer along with the lamps, coffee pot, etc. the plugs fell out of the outlet and the ones that were already plugged in were just barely hanging in the outlet...didn't look real safe. Also, when unplugging the hairdryer the plate on the outlet would
pull off the wall. This room was very basic but truthfully, it
fulfiled our needs. It had a microwave/refrig. nice t.v. and the air conditoner worked great. The beds were comfortable and clean. The staff was very nice to work with and we enjoyed Panera Breads for breakfast since there was no free breakfast. The shuttle took us to the hospital and was prompt and on time and when we called to be picked up he was there in about 10 minutes. We would definitely stay here again if going to the hospital but if it was for a vacation trip I would not want to stay in the downtown area. All in all there is nothing terrible about this hotel I just think they need to look at the room and evaluate the appearance of it's decor....and it would have been nice to have a table and chair in the room if you wanted to eat in your room, which I did see some table and chairs pictured in the rooms on the website but ours did not have one.
I would give this hotel a good satisfactory.

Room Tip: Until they are finished renovating I would definitely ask for a renovated room.Also, you can request...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to fill out a review on Tripadvisor.com. While we have redone the walls and replaced the furniture in many rooms, there are still many other projects left to complete. Artwork, for example is eventually going to be replaced and new lamps will be purchased. I apologize about the lack of a table in your room. All rooms with two beds should have tables- I had our maintenance team place a table and chair in the room in which you stayed. Thanks again for being our guest. Hopefully, you will return to Pittsburgh soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night for a visit to PITT and to take in a Phillies/Pirates game. We arrived super early thanks to my speedy father driving. So at 11:30 am one would guess you couldn't check in. Wrong! The nice young man at the desk accommodated, even took my dads AAA card n we got deeper discount on price of room. They had a free shuttle that the same guy said he'd be more than happy to take us anywhere. He dropped us off both days for our college visit n we walked back to take in scenery. Location was great! Everything was nice and ppl were more than helpful. Great overall visit. Only thing stopping me from rating this a 5 is no free breakfast bc Panera Bread is on bottom floor attached to hotel....and the rollaway beds need another layer of padding like a pillow top.

Room Tip: Ask for odd # room higher that will get you front of building with views as opposed to rear of bldg...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank R M

I'm glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thanks for the nice review. I'm happy the staff took great care of you and that you enjoyed our location. If you decide to attend college in Pittsburgh, come back and see us again!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Terrible experience all around. Stayed for two nights with two of my friends (3 people in one room), in which our room was not serviced during our entire stay. Additionally, our lights did not work, our fridge did not work and there were stains on the lamp shades reminiscent of someone's bodily functions. We stayed on a friends and family discount which was great because I don’t think I would pay much more for this hotel than what we did.
On top of the obvious renovations and cleaning this hotel needs, we came to find out yesterday that a cleaning fee is being assessed on our room for something that isn’t even our issue. The “assistant manager” sent pictures of the incident in which were taken at 10:20 AM on Sunday, while we didn’t even check out until 10:40 AM on Sunday. Clearly, it doesn’t add up. When the “assistant manager” spoke with us, he was more concerned about why we were there and the fact we were on a friends and family discount. As if we didn’t pay enough to stay there so they were going to get more out of us and he tried to make us appear as irresponsible adults. Additionally, what does the reason I am staying at a hotel have to do with anything and why is it his business? We spoke with the general manager which clearly isn’t any better than his assistant. He had nothing to tell me that was of use to our situation and repeated that "we knew the policies and that unfortunately we would have to pay, there was nothing he could do about it" Not sure we will ever get our “cleaning fee” back, but at this point and time, someone from corporate needs to assess this hotel and hold them accountable for their lack of customer service, their fraudulent charges and inability to manage their employees and staff. I also think its important for other patrons of this hotel to know what they are getting themselves into before they stay. Be sure to either document the room with pictures before you leave or better yet, go down to the front desk, bring an employee up with you to check the room out before you check out and have them sign off on it. Protect yourselves and your wallet.

The perks? A Panera downstairs for breakfast, free parking and its location to relevant Pittsburgh attractions. That's it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LG213
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor.com

When housekeeping went to clean your room after you checked out, they noticed a rather disgusting mess in the bathtub. They immediately took pictures. Although the pictures sent to you by the Front Desk Manager showed 10:20 a.m., the time was actually 11:20 a.m. (The camera's internal clock was never adjusted for Daylight Saving Time. I checked the camera and confirmed the time was off by an hour.) We deemed it necessary to charge you a cleaning fee due to the nature of the mess. If you wish to further dispute the charge, please contact your bank.

The other issues you addressed in your review were never brought to the staff's attention until after you noticed the extra cleaning fee. Had we known about them, we could have taken appropriate action.

I received and responded to the formal complaint you sent to Choice Hotels International. They are aware of this situation.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.com

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend with our 2.5 year old. The portable crib was all set up with blankets in the room when we got there. The staff was kind and resourceful. Handy internet access in the lobby as well as a Panera Bread onsite. There was a shuttle service that we didn't take advantage of but they offered it to us any time, even just to run to Rite Aid down the street. Nothing too fancy, but clean and convenient for our visit to the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for staying with us this summer. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to handle your crib request. If you're returning to the area, please give us a call!