“Nice hotel near UPMC”

Ranked #53 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Cookeville
“Nice hotel near UPMC”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Very friendly staff. Very accommodating, especially when a guest has appointment at UPMC. special rates for them. Shuttle to the UPMC wonderful since parking is at a premium and expensive. Panera Bread on ground floor with elevator service to hotel rooms. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rollaways are available for that extra guest. They are very accommodating to guests with special...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I'm happy you took the time to place nice comments about the hotel on Tripadvisor.com. It's nice to know you took advantage of our shuttle service and the attached Panera Bread Café. When you're coming back to Pittsburgh, give us a call. We always have a hospital rate available. See you soon.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here for four nights over a long weekend. Staff was excellent and went out of their way to help us with whatever we needed. Shuttle service is a great bonus along with the free parking. Our room was clean and comfortable. Will definitely be staying here again. Kudos to the staff at this location, keep up the great work.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank natesgal8675
Thank you so much for the nice review. I'm pleased you found our staff to accommodating and the room to be clean. We are proud to be the only hotel in the area that offers free parking. Come back and see us soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I really enjoy living at this hotel because the staff here are very nice and they'd love to provide the best service to customer. Besides, they could also drive customers to their destination for free. Staffs here are very nice and friendly. I could say that I rather live at this hotel than Hilton because I could feel like I am at home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Yuzheng L
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! It's wonderful to hear that the hotel staff was able to take such good care of you during your stay. I'm glad they made you feel like you were at home. When you're coming back to the area, be sure to stay with us. We'd love to have you back!

TOLLAND
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very disappointed with this hotel's appearance. The carpets were worn and grubby looking. The ice machine on the 1st floor looked as if someone had bombed it. The room was very small and unappealing. There was no comfortable place to sit. The heat lamp in the bathroom was permanently on. We tried to turn it off but to no avail. The water was barely lukewarm. There was no fridge or microwave as requested. Couldn't have been more disappointed. The only bright side was the closeness to UPMC and the shuttle service provided. Would never stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to place a review on Tripadvisor.com. I'm sorry that you encountered so many problems during your stay. Did you report them to a manager while you were here? Had we known about the problems, we could have fixed them or helped find you a different room. If you'd like to further discuss the issues that occured, please contact me directly via e-mail, bgreiner@qualityinnpittsburgh.com. Again, I apologize for the problems.

Philadelphia, Pa
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I'm relatively new to traveling so I wasn't really sure where to stay during my first trip to Pittsburgh I needed to be close to the University of Pittsburgh for a job interview and after doing some research, I booked the Quality Inn. The rates seemed to be the cheapest in the area and I didn't have to pay for parking. I'm from Philly and know how expensive hotel parking can be. The hotel was clearly an older building but the rooms were clean and nothing fancy. The front desk staff members were all helpful and assisted me with finding the office I needed to visit and recommended local places to eat. I wish the hotel offered a free breakfast but there was a Panera in the building that served its purpose. If I get the job I interviewed for, I will definitely return to this hotel while house hunting.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank ERL91383
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! I'm glad you chose to stay with us during your recent trip. We are the most affordable hotel in the area and the only one that offers free parking. I'm pleased our staff was able to accomodate you and that you enjoyed Panera. Good luck with the job search and come back to see us when you're in town!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

the service from the front desk agents, was outstanding, all of the a front desk workers were polite, and very helpfull. The building itself needs a major renovation, and a good scrub down. Carpets were dirty, walls were stained. The house keeping was herendously bad. There was trash still in my room, no towels and the bedsheets smelled like puke. I was truly disgusted by my room and the disregard for cleanliness.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank ogjig
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
I am very sorry about the problems you encountered. Our housekeeping staff is generally spectacular so your comments come as a surprise to me. Please e-mail me at bgreiner@qualityinnpittsburgh.com and let me know the room in which you stayed. I'd like to look into this situation for you. I am glad that you at least found the staff to be very accomodating and helpful. If you return to the area, contact me and I will try to get you a special rate.

Ohio
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel has obviously been heavily used and is tired. There are dings in the paint, but the overall room was clean and comfortable, the linens were sparkling white and the staff was very helpful. Best of all, is the shuttle service the hotel offers. Anyone familiar with Pittsburgh knows the streets never run in parallel lines, many of them are one way so navigating a car in this busy section of Oakland can be difficult and time consuming, not to mention parking can be a nightmare. So having the luxury of free parking while the hotel shuttled us to dinner and back was a plus. They don't offer the usual continental breakfast, but the Panera restaurant attached to the hotel served a good menu. The hotel does offer coffee and tea in the lobby and there is a coffee maker in the room. All in all a comfortable choice at a very reasonable rate in a crowded and busy area of Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor in the rear of the building and it was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SeasonedTriper
Thanks for the nice review. While the hotel is, in fact, an older building, we're making great strides in updating everything. New carpet and new wallpaper are next on the agenda. That project should be completed over the winter months. I'm glad you noticed our sparkling clean linens. We used Tide, Downey and other products you're familar with. We found that these cleaners work better than the standard industrial chemicals used by many hotels. These products provide a better wash and keep our linens comfortable and clean. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope you come back soon!