“Needs an Update”

Ranked #50 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
PA
“Needs an Update”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My son is a student at the University of Pittsburgh and we live over 4 hours away; when visiting our son we usually make a weekend out of it and stay near the Unirversity. I have stayed at the Quality Inn Unversity Center a few times when other bettter hotels are booked up. I think last night was my last stay here. It is not horrible but it needs an update. I have noticed a lot of patching going on over the past few years. Hotel is in need of a renovation if it wants to stay in business and attract the right people. Lots of peeling paint and wall paper. Lots of water damage
and patched holes. I had a cigarette burn hole in my comforter this time around. Better places to stay near the University if you plan ahead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for staying with us while visiting your son at Pitt. I went to Pitt myself and my family actually lives four hours away from Pittsburgh as well. I understand how important it is to have a clean, comfortable hotel in which to stay after such a long drive. I'd like to know the specifics of the problems you experienced. Please e-mail me at bgreiner@qualityinnpittsburgh.com so I look into everything. As I have said countless times here on Tripadvisor.com, we are in the process of renovating. It's true that the hotel is an older building but we're confident that once all the appropriate upgrades are made, this hotel will be spectacular. I wish your son the best of luck the University of Pittsburgh and hope to see you folks again soon. HAIL TO PITT!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
central Massachusetts
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel was convenient to the universities and the neighborhoods we frequented. There is a Panera in the building so you can get breakfast and lunch.

The hotel staff, and the shuttle driver in particular, were very helpful and accommodating.

The room was clean. We didn't encounter noise or other problems. The wifi works fine.

We were able to get a reduced rate as it really isn't worth the full price. The hotel is gloomy and in need of renovation. It's fine for short stays if you aren't planning to spend a lot of time there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I'm glad you were able to take the time to post your comments about the hotel on Tripadvisor.com. I love being able to share guest's kind words with all team members. Also, I'm glad you found the hotel's location and the connected Panera Bread convenient. This place will really start to shine over the fall and winter months as we continue on with our room and public area renovations. Soon, it will look like an entirely different place! I hope to see you on your next trip back to town!

Marysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel was so--so in most regards. But be aware that there are students residing there and the weekends can be more than a little rowdy.

It's nice that there is a Paneras on the first floor. It serves breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thanks for your recent review of the hotel. I apologize for the noise you encountered during your stay. We have overnight security to help alleviate such problems. Many families come stay with us while they visit the local universities, but no students actually live in the hotel. The Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh is a very diverse and busy neighborhood. Unfortunately, it's not the quietest part of town. If you're in the area again, please give us a call.

Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Adequate hotel within walking distance of lots of great Oakland restaurants (tip: go to Pamela's for breakfast), University of Pittsburgh and CMU. Rates are good for the area, self parking is included which is a nice bonus considering just about every other hotel in Pittsburgh proper charges for it. The Panera Bread attached is convenient if you need to eat and run. I noticed the rate for the weekend dropped on the day we arrived; I asked if they would honor the new rate and they did. Yay!

The room was decent, some signs of disrepair but it was clean enough. Typical amenities were provided - shampoo, conditioner and lotion, plus cups and a coffee maker. There is a small fitness room but we did not use it. Wifi worked well, and there were lots of TV channels including HBO.

The tub was draining slow, we called and it was fixed the same day. They offered to move us to another room if it was not adequate but it was draining well enough that we didn't bother.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mintcookie
Thank you for staying with us! I'm glad you found the hotel to be comfortable, convenient and clean. We are in the process on renovating the building so any maintenance issues you encountered should be taken care of soon. We hope to see you again soon!

Detroit
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I would normally rate this hotel as average, however considering the area and the fact that every other hotel in Oakland charges a daily rate to use their parking lot (even if the lot is attached to the hotel), I added another star because the Quality Inn has affordable rates and doesn't tack on "hidden" parking fee's. The experience all around otherwise was "okay", about what you expect from a Quality Inn. Panera Bread downstairs was a bonus, and the location close to Pitt is very convenient. Multiple bars and restaurants, including the University, are within walking distance.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michael L
I'm glad you enjoyed our free parking. We are proud that we're the only hotel in the area that offers free parking. We're also happy to offer the most affordable rates in the area. Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. See you again soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

This is my second stay here mainly due to its proximity to UPMC. Has free parking space, decent room for the price tho you do give up space cos its pittsburgh, close to nearby restaurants etc. Staff stay busy as its a high volume hotel, but decent check in/out. Would recc mainly for price/location

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Raakesh H
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for being a repeat guest! I'm happy the hotel has been able to meet your needs. What can we do to exceed your needs? Please e-mail me at bgreiner@qualityinnpittsburgh.com. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say. In the mean time, I hope you return to stay with us very soon!

Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Reasonable rate compared to the competition. Free parking; $14+ elsewhere. Convenient location and shuttle service. Panera Bread restaurant on ground floor and free coffee all day and night. Friendly service, especially EMILY, she went above and beyond to make guests feel at home; she was very informative and made my first trip to Pittsburgh memorable. The hotel needs an update (it's currently remodeling I believe).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank StudyingTraveler
You're correct- we are remodeling. While we still have a lot of work to go, we're making noticeable progress. It's a very exciting time at the hotel and I hope you come back and see the changes we have made. Very soon, all public areas will be re-done as well. Thanks for the kind words about Emily- she's a great asset to the team. We hope to see you soon.