“Scrumptious sea bass, festive atmosphere”
Review of The Commoner

The Commoner
Reserve with OpenTable
The Commoner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 2,391 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: With regular events and a quick-counter for breakfast, the Commoner is one of downtown Pittsburgh's newest, and possibly, best American restaurants.
Reviewed August 31, 2018

I ordered the "Daily Catch" which was sea bass, and it was prepared perfectly, one of the best seafood dishes I've had in a long time. The side salad at $5 was fresh and satisfying. Wine prices are on the high side (e.g., $55 for a bottle of basic cab). The restaurant was about full and noisy making it a bit difficult to communicate. Server Art was professional, attentive and helpful in selecting dishes.

ChelseaY24, General Manager at The Commoner, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2018

We're so happy you enjoyed your time with us! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 24, 2018

The food was tasty and inventive, but the plating distracted. My husband ordered the wild mushroom ”cigars,” which were delicious. Unfortunately they arrived in a small cereal bowl, which made it very difficult to enjoy the apricot jam underneath. It’s said that we ear with our eyes, and that dish looked like it had been prepared by a jr hugh school home economics student. My butter lettuce salad with cashews, grapes, and blue cheese lived up to the menu description, and arrived on a lovely blue willow plate. It was delightful to look at. Burgers also suffered from plating issues. While placing the burgers on a mini sheet pan, with fries in a mini fry basket was clever ... it also made it hard to eat the food ... because there was no room to maneuver. To put ketchup on my burger, I had to hold the top of my roll. There was no place to put it, except on the table top. while I appreciated the fresh lettuce and tomato that accompanied, I don’tput that on burgers, which left me in a quandary as to where to stash it. Sure, these aren’t deal breakers... but these are the kinds of things that get you “Chopped!”

ChelseaY24, General Manager at The Commoner, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Thank you for joining us, Frances! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Tried the Commoner for Saturday night meal. Eclectic menu for dinner selections. The 3 of us all ended up ordering the burger for dinner. Mine was cooked perfectly, medium rare and my friends was also cooked perfectly, medium. Unfortunately, the 3rd burger was way over cooked, looked burnt and she had requested medium well. Although after tracking down wait staff, they graciously cooked her a new burger but it took awhile as this place was hopping.

Chelsea Y, General Manager at The Commoner, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Hi! We apologize for the overdone burger, but happy to hear you enjoyed the rest of your meal! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2018

I was really let down be The Commoner. We stayed at the hotel and only belatedly realized that the restaurant we wanted to go to in downtown Pittsburgh was in the same building.

We ordered a slew of cocktails off the cocktail menu and all of them were off-kilter. The same reaction prevailed over just about every dish that came to the table. An example: scallops were huge, but the pork crackling casing tasted stale and was under-seasoned. Scallops themselves were overcooked. The bean retinue that went with it was under-cooked and the flavors in the dish were all well considered, just poorly executed. Everyone at the table of 5 said something similar about their dish. A steak on special was cooked well enough but slathered in a sauce that ruined the meat. A pork chop was dry and sauce mismatched.

As I said, all the ideas good, but the result didn't measure up. A burger disappointed to the extent that we mentioned it and, to their credit, Commoner cooked another and gave it to us for take-away.

In fairness, service was very good and ambience was very nice. It's a sweet little spot, The Commoner. But the food isn't good for the prices they're charging. Actually, it just isn't good food. Individual elements on the plate need more attention, seasonings need adjusting, and overall concepts need more testing and development. The mushroom cigar app was great but, if I'm honest, no one in my party enjoyed their mains.

Hi Loran, I want to extend my apologies for the disappointing experience. If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to me personally at chelsea.yeager@thecommonerpgh.com

Reviewed August 12, 2018

We enjoyed breakfast at this hotel restaurant after our overnight stay. The front desk encouraged us to make a reservation stating that the restaurant an become crowded from 9:00am onward. I went online that evening and reserved 9:00am. It was not crowded upon arrival, with plenty of tables. Our server was really great and asked if we were staying in the hotel, gave us a bit of background info. on the décor. Sorry do not remember her name. Hubby and I both had omelets, breakfast potatoes and he had wheat toast, but I wanted to try the homemade English muffins. All was very good --- omelet was very fluffy and tasted creamier than most, and I loved the muffin. Not a cheap breakfast, but we expected this at such a hotel restaurant.

1  Thank BeachBumWoman
Chelsea Y, General Manager at The Commoner, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2018

So happy to hear you enjoyed your breakfast with us! Thank you!