“Outstanding”

Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown
Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 24, 2011

As a Hilton Diamond memeber I travel 180 nights per year. When staying in Pittsburgh I used to stay at the downtown Hilton which is now a Wyndam, so I needed to find a new place to stay. I was in town wtih friends for the Steelers game and stayed a Friday and Saturday night at the Hampton Inn Downtown Pittsburgh. The staff was very outgoing and alot of fun. The rooms were clean and spacious, the parking was great, cant beat free parking. The only thing I can complain about is location. It takes forever to get a cab to come to the hotel. Waited over an hour for a cab. This of course is not the hotel's fault however I want everyone to know if you dont have your own car leave plenty of time waiting to wait for your cab. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Conk99
Write a ReviewReviews (1,731)

Reviewed January 18, 2011

We have stayed here before, customer service a little short and curt this time. I would come back and stay for the value it is ok, location is great. Breakfast ok average.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights in October 2010. Right in line with most Hampton Inns. Clean, comfortable bed. Bedroom was very large with a lot of open room in front of bed. WiFi was pretty slow. Did not steam Pandora well at all.

During the last night we had a fire alarm go off. Hotel evacuated, but was a false alarm. Fire department did not show up. Hotel staff determined it was a false alarm themselves.

Breakfast buffet was good. Same as most Hampton Inns.

A little walk to the convention center, but not bad. Right across the street from the Heinz Center, a museum for the Pittsburgh Area.

Front desk staff seemed a little untrained, but handled things well. Seemed a little too concerned about their private conversations and one young lady was texting most of the time while behind the front desk. This should NOT be allowed while a guest is waiting to be served.

Overall, a good comfortable stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Dec 2010
Nice, clean, new feeling rooms, no refrigerator, and I think no microwave (noticed)
I was at the back, in a river facing room, that suffered a lot of noise pollution.
Other guest room doors seemed to slam shut and the sound was like it was in the room when it's a neighbor. I didn't get my preference of being away from the elevator, in-fact I think I was next to it.

The area was being snow plowed fairly late into the evening, and a garbage truck would come at 4am to empty the large, metallic bin, it made as much noise as I'm sure is possible with the task, revving, beeping, metallic crashing, it was enough to wake a sleeping person, at least I think I was already awake.

Staff weren't as friendly as other hotels, especially in the south. I Came back every evening (around 7pm) and looked over to the reception desk and no-one even looked up, though the staff on my last day (wed 4pm) were fine and called a taxi to the airport.

I've been to Pittsburgh once or twice before and I'm beginning to form the opinion that people aren't very friendly in general there.

It would have been nice to have been given a shuttle lift at least one way (in), I'm not even sure if they had one, but they certainly didn't seem to be offering any rides, I had to walk to the gateway center and back, which although only a mile away, was unpleasant in the 15F weather, especially the snow on the first morning.
I didn't directly ask for a ride as I'd overheard a female guest at the desk being turned down, but didn't hear the reason given.

So, if they could do something about the noise and offer guests a lift into the heart of downtown (which the property seems to be on the outskirts of) - especially in inclement weather, then this would be a very nice property as lunch was nice, the TVs are nice and the rooms seemed clean and new.

I think the best advice for travelers to mitigate my issues with this property is the same for both problems - bring ear protection!

I also think that the Hampton Inn brand could do more to entice people that would otherwise have chosen Embassy Suites (if one existed downtown). Maybe something as similar as having a coke in the fridge and a light snack as the other hotels in the Hilton chain are starting to catch on to, not feeling the love outside of the morning doggy bag lucky dip.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I am form PIttsburgh and got a room here as a night out with my wife. We went to see Chelsea Handler at the console energy center which is located 6 blocks away. The hotel does not have a shuttle but a cab ride is less than $10 including tip. I checked in, i am a federal and state employee. My wife recently hit a deer so we had a rental car and I had forgotten my goverment id. I was able to fax them something to prove it. I am a Hilton memeber but this is the 1st hotel were they dont traet you like one. It was a pin to check only cause I forgot my id and thats there policy so I cant hold that against them. we were in a hurry to. There was a black lady who worked throughout the night that was very nice. We also booked a smoking room and they gave us non smoking. I called after they sent me my reservation days earlier and thought I had this problem corrected. The room was a king room. Didnt smell like a smoking room at all. The bed was awesome. The bathroom was huge which my wife loved. The shower could have fit 4 people. The room was a good size for us. It was super clean no issues at all. It is located directly across the street from the Heinz history center. Free parking was plentiful and not an issue. They gave me a half hour extra for checkout but the cleaning staff came 3 times before so that kinda annoys you. Check out was easy. Overall not a bad experince. Had a blast with my wife but when looking again I would check the area for cheaper hotels. I paid $130 so I cant complain. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I was in town for a Steelers game. This was my first time in Pittsburgh.
I did not do any research on TripAdvisor. I chose this hotel mostly
because of the free parking, free internet, free breakfast, and the close
proximity to Heinz Field. In fact, you can either take the bus which is 2 blocks down or you can walk. I did both. The bus ride to the field was smooth and they have certain streets cut off on game day to accomodate buses. The walk back was a breeze as well. Took around 15 or 17 minutes. That's not bad. Anyway, back to the hotel;
My room was spacious for a standard room with double beds. Even the bathroom had
nice space. It was clean throughout and the staff was helpful. The free breakfast was ok. They had two waffle irons going and the rest of the items were alright. So the hotel itself is solid. My problem was the price tag. I spent well over $200 for one night in a standard room in Pittsburgh?
No disrespect to the kind folks in Pittsburgh (Because the people there are really nice) but there's nothing to do in that town except attend the football game. So I really don't see how they can justify jacking up the prices. I am thinking that they know it's the only time anyone ever wants to go to Pittsburgh so they might as well cash in that day.
My advise for folks who want to drive to Pittsburgh like I did to catch a game is to book a hotel on the outskirts of town in the direction that you will be driving when you want to return home. Because like I said, there's really nothing else to do when the game ends. Unless you're the type to hang out at the bars afterwords. If you're going to get saucy, then of course, it's probably wise to stay somewhere downtown. Either that or cab it back to your hotel. Either way, you're still saving a boatload rather than spending what I spent for one night here. Again, the hotel is awesome but the price wasn't.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Not a good hotel for business. I was traveling for my employer, a government agency. Having traveled in Pennsylvania before, I well knew the minutiae of the State Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption form. But when I got to this Hampton, they demanded a tax ID number even though the state form is clear it was not required--nor is it Hilton policy for this, I am a Hilton Diamond. I tried to address this again with the manager the next morning (I was able to reach my work very early and get them what they wanted); she was anything but hospitable overall (where's Conrad Hilton??), and completely unapologetic about their misinterpretation of the form or about my hassle in getting customer service for this issue. In fact, she reiterated the night clerk's misinterpretation using a part of the form that does not apply to this circumstance--apparently, none of the staff bothered to ever read the back of the form that has very detailed instructions.

Another hassle to this hotel is that there is no registration parking. The parking lot is behind a gate, it cannot be entered without a hotel key.

The rooms were average at best, nothing noteworthy.
Staff seemed happy to talk to guests, but if something was needed it became another story. Took forever to get a pick-up on the phone to arrange a wake-up call.

Bottom line, this hotel seems happy catering to auction-site customers who cannot expect anything for their rock-bottom price. It would seem that business travelers need not apply at any rate, and their needs are unlikely to be met no matter how small. Now clearly government rates are not the highest rates around, but they are better than Priceline and the hotel does not have to offer them. Indeed, the hotel would better serve itself and the business traveler by not offering them in the first place, rather than making up stuff when the business traveler has followed all the rules for submitting a form, has a few minor needs, etc. Perhaps this is the beginning of the self-service hotel in America??

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business