“Decent Indian Lunch Buffet” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North Oakland
“Decent Indian Lunch Buffet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have been there about 4-5 times for lunch. Their buffet is limited but items taste quite decent. Definitely not the best Indian food, but not bad. Service is always good.

• Visited November 2012

• Indonesian first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Indian Food and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We ate at the Tamarind Flavor of India in Cranberry (about 30 minutes north of here) a few weeks ago and it was great, so we decided to give this one a try. We were NOT disappointed. Everything we ordered was delicious.

We started with the Ethnic Sampler. It was a little pricey but it had three different appetizers, three different sauces, and a wonderful variety of flavors and textures. For an entree I got the Vegetable Biryani. I asked to have it made extra spicy. I probably shouldn't have. I loved it but I could only eat a little at a time. Thank goodness it came with a side of raita to quench the flames. Even HOTTER was the Chicken Vindaloo that my son ordered. I'm not complaining. I like really hot food, but if you don't you should definitely steer clear of the items designated as "spicy" on the menu. For something on the milder side: my wife ordered the Kofta. Oh... my... gosh! It was SO delicious. This would be a good choice if you don't like spicy food.

As far as the service goes, I can honestly say we've never had better service anywhere! The place wasn't empty but we seemed to have TWO waitresses and they were both very attentive and friendly. Our water glasses never got less than half empty before they were refilled. In addition to the servers the hostess came by our table twice to ask how our meal was and just to chat about the menu. The staff added greatly to the whole dining experience. They were great!

The atmosphere was comfortable but not formal or fancy. The restaurant is in an older home and the ceilings are a little too high to make it feel "cozy". Don't let that keep you from eating here though or you'll be missing out on some of the best Indian food in Pittsburgh!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Kilgore
Atlanta, GA
“Very good and reasonably priced, too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was staying in the area on a Sunday night and not much was open in the Oakland neighborhood. I walked until I found this place, right across from another restaurant. I knew nothing about either, but chose Tamarind on a whim. I was very pleased.

The restaurant is in a converted old home in a neighborhood of older homes. You feel like you are walking up the steps of of an old home and entering the foyer -- because you are! The space is not big but it is adequate for couples or a small group. Casual place with a mix of college students, families, and professionals.

Food was really solid South Indian. The prices were reasonable, too. I ordered Chicken Vindaloo, which was in a delicious chili and vinegar sauce, and I loved the tiny potatoes. It came with rice. I also ordered a spinach dosa, which was served with a lentil sauce and a yogurt for dipping. The dosa was enough for two or three to share. My bill was about $21, excluding tip, and I most definitely did not leave hungry.

Great place....I would go back if I'm in this area again.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank ATLDawg
Houston
“Fantastic Indian Restaurant - MUST GO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

MUST GO. Do not miss it! Specially the lunch buffet - Closed on Mondays.

A buffet, great value for money, you'll end up full of Indian food for 12 dollars. It is not for a formal night or a business lunch, but if you're visiting the area, and crave for outstanding-delicious Indian food, as much as you want, without paying a fortune, that's the place.

Nans and Dosas mouthwatering.

Every day there's a bit of everything, Lamb and Chicken Ticka Massala, Tandori, Aloo gobi, and so on.

But the flavor of the food is unbelievable. You can tell that spices are used generously, tasting not only the flavor of the base meat or vegetable, but also the character of the dish.

I daresay is one of the best Indian restaurants I've ever visited. I've visited a fancy Indian restaurant somewhere else, paid 30$ a piece, and it was not half as good as this one.

Plus, parking is easy in the area, in the corner of the restaurant there's a city parking with place always available.

If you are in the area, and like Indian food, do not miss it. Atmosphere is more on the fast food side, but once you get to the food, you really forget about that. As I said. Do not miss it!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank OilfieldTraveller
Orlando, Florida
“Best Indian Food in PGH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

The food here was delicious and well prepared. Both me and my parents liked our dishes and would definitely return for more! The naan was cooked to perfection. We especially liked the garlic naan. I had the mutter paneer for my entree and it was so good!

Our server was Korean and must be a student in the local area. She was very knowledgeable of the menu and gave great recommendations. She also was very personable.

Overall it was an awesome evening with great food! We will be back next time we're in town!

1 Thank Matthew N