“We went to UUBU 6 last night for dinner and lets say the experience will not be bringing us back. I usually don't...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of UUBU 6

UUBU 6
Ranked #960 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Waitstaff
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

We went to UUBU 6 last night for dinner and lets say the experience will not be bringing us back. I usually don't complain, but this manager had no idea on how to run a business. It was Saturday night on the Southside and the place was half empty. First problem, we ordered a bottle of wine from the wine list, not once but twice they gave us the wrong bottle. On the second attempt we just decided to drink it. The food was good and each of us enjoyed the meal itself. When the bill came, we had a coupon with no expiration date on it for $10 off. First the waitress informed us the coupon would not be honored, so we asked for the manager. He immediately came out and told us that the coupon was no good. My girlfriend and another good friend questioned more about the coupon. Again it is Saturday in a half empty restaurant, where we had 4 dinners, 2 bottles of wine, 2 appetizers and 2 desserts. This manager's rationale was that it was just too bad and leave the place. When my one friend asked him about treating the customer right, he responded that isn't true and again asked us to leave. Just to contrast the different management styles, we had stopped at Hofbrau at Soutside works for a drink. The manager there gave us a coupon for a free appetizer. So one place is willing to give us a free appetizer so we go to the place, UUBU 6 on the other hand practically kicks us out and tells us our business isn't wanted. Did I mention the restaurant was half empty on a Saturday night. I don't how this place will stay open. It is safe to say we will never go back or recommend this place to anyone. So we will take our dinner business in the Southside to Dish and/or places like Hofbrau where they want your business.

Pittsburgh
“Good restaurant; unjustly criticized”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

My wife and I have eaten at the UUBU 6 three times over the past two years and we've never left disappointed. Main course plates are built around fresh ingredients and French-inspired sauces. The menu is also quite fairly priced. There are items on the dinner menu that correspond to all types of budgets. The desserts that we have ordered have all been quite good as well. The owners clearly are passionate about food and want to do something different. After all, where else in Pittsburgh can you find sweetbreads on a regular basis? Our server, who I believe is a co-owner, also told us that they've served veal tongue in the past. The menu varies according to what's in season and what they can acquire from specialized vendors.

I would strongly encourage people who are considering UUBU not to be dissuaded by the negative reviews, which strangely seem to have been reproduced on as many sites as possible and may stem from a person with some type of axe to grind. The restaurant does have its flaws. Items listed on the menu can be strangely changed without warning--our friend ordered tenderloin w-gorgonzola, but received tenderloin w-brie and the some of the wine glasses were, in fact, a bit cloudy. However, this in no way ruined our dining experience. The tenderloin, in spite of the cheese change, was still a top-notch cut and well prepared, our friend assured us. So, all in all, I would recommend that people interested in different types of food and preparations give UUBU 6 a chance.

2 Thank pallinouk
Pittsburgh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do not wast your time!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

My wife and I had been to UUBU6 a few months after it had opened. The food was good but the service was horrible. This past October a radio station was offering the 'Dining Deal' so we decided to give UUBU6 another try. We received the certificate and put it away not realizing it had an expiration date on the certificate of April 17, 2009. I called the restaurant April 22th and spoke to someone who claimed to be the owner but refused to give me their name. He said that they would not honor the gift cerficate because it had expired. I asked him if he realized that it was a violation of PA law to not honor the gift certificate. He replied 'it was not his fault that I was a moroon for not being able to read the certificate'. He then hung up on me so I called back again and he rudely said 'just go back to Pittsburgh with the rest of the bunch of losers'

Needless to say that I will never patronize this restaurant and would not recommend any one else going their either!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
pittsburgh
“Eat at Your Own Risk”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

I just drove by and saw that Uubu is still open and was horrified. So I felt the urge to rush home and post a review to warn restaurant goers! Back in November, my family went to Uubu for thanksgiving to try something new. It was just simply the most terrifying culinary experience of my life. First off, the bread basket arrived...with two ends of a baguette in it? Literally, TWO OF THE ENDS of a loaf of bread. As if this was not ridiculous enough, there were more than two mouths to feed at the table.

Then the soups/salads. The soup was not even luke warm, yet cold and a Viscous film had collected along the top.

Much, much muuuuch later ...the turkey dinner came...the turkey was RAW. I could not even cut it with the knife...Now I'm not talking raw in the sense that you may be used to, a raw steak, raw burger, it was like someone took the bird, did not bother to put it in the oven, carved slices and just chucked them on a plate. Does the chef not realize that turkey, unlike tuna, beef, salmon...etc..HAS TO BE COOKED?! Then the stuffing was a glob of unidentifiable substances...not to mention the other crap on the plate that I had no idea what it was.

Then the dessert....they took a piece of bread (wonder bread?) smeered some ready whip on it and ROLLED IT into a ball and put it on a plate. At this point i really started to wonder if we were on candid camera? Is this a joke?

We complained to the manager and all he said was "we will give you your money back"...our response was, no we are not complaining with intentions to get our money back, we WILL and DID pay, we are merely rather ALARMED and think you should do something about this before you have a law suit from numerous guests being served RAW turkey.

Absolutely ridiculous. DO NOT go. Now is maybe the time where I would say, maybe it was just that one time...but in this case, no...I fear the worst. If that was how the restaurant ran in front of the house, can you imagine what the kitchen is like? Behind closed doors?

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook