“One of the best unkept secret about Pittsburgh's South Side”
Review of Cafe du Jour

Cafe du Jour
Ranked #197 of 2,210 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I remember the day these guys opened up. I was there from day one and the quality remains as idealist today as they dreamed of when they opened and shared their hope and desire.

All the reviews are true. When I want to impress someone traveling, I bring them here because it is so unassuming and wonderfully inviting.

The courtyard is unquestionably the best place to sit during the warm months - the environment is spectacular. They always please and I am always astounded at the quality of the wait staff in such an informal setting. They are informative, engaged and caring. Sometimes, overwhelmed, but the pace of the place is like a Paris cafe where, if you aren't acting like a crazed, hurried American, and just relax and enjoy, you are rewarded to just meander with them. Other times, I have gone in to beat the rush and had a delightful meal just to eat and run.

Getting a table is often an art form because they are so small and no matter how much I like them and they like me, there just isn't a table. But this is hit or miss. Sometimes, it works to come without a reservation and other times, forget about it.

Why write about this today? I am heading there tonight - probably for the scallops, pan fried, that are to die for, and as always, I cannot imagine that the quality of the food, the delicacy of the sauces and the fine art of presentation will in any way be lacking. It is always a joy and the owner/chef, Paul, a San Francisco native, is always welcoming you as if this were his home, and treating you as a best friend.

An outstanding place - consistently - and where I go when I want to treat myself to a bit of heaven on earth, and pretend I am in Paris, in Pittsburgh.

4  Thank strategic2020

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Highly enjoyable food. I went with a large group and we were treated wonderfully. I have been dreaming about the Brie since going there, by far the best that I've had.

Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

The place is small but inviting. Be sure to call ahead. Perfect place for a comforting french meal. We live in the southside and eat here about once a month. Place is a hidden gem. It reminds me of a place you would find tucked away in a small street in Parris. BYOB too.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had dinner here a few nights ago. There were 7 of us. The server and staff accommodated us without a single issue. The food was ready on time and delicious.

We sat on the patio, which is a little small, but it is very cozy. It probably had the best ambiance of many of the patios in the burg... especially in the Southside.

Go for the eggplant - it is AMAZING! So was the chicken.

It is BYOB - so you save on alcohol and the pricing is very appropriate for the food.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Absolutely everything we had was outstanding! We were early for our reservations and the table before us was running late, so we spent about a half hour at the bar next door: nothing fancy, but reasonably priced and fun. Our food was unquestionably worth the wait. Our party of four had two appetizers (I highly recommend the spinach dip) the mushroom consommé, four different entrees, and two desserts. Everything was wonderful, thank you for a great evening!