“Wonderful”

Wed, 5/25
8:00 PM
Ranked #13 of 2,172 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Strip District
Cross street: 12th St.
Reviewed October 19, 2016

When we got to the restaurant is was so big we thought it was a tourist trap. But, starting with a beet salad and a cocktail, we found out we were just fine. My partner got pasta with mushrooms which was good but he likes bland food. I got chicken with chicken risotto and bok choy. It was terrific! I don't think I have ever had more tender chicken and the risotto balanced the dish perfectly.
But the coup de gras was the dessert. Banana cream pie did not come close to describing the dish. It was more like a Napoleon. Layers of crusty pastry, banana cream, and bananas topped with whipped cream and a caramel sauce was divine.
Service was very good. Comfortable chairs and temperature and friendly nearby diners.

Date of visit: October 2016
Write a reviewReviews (828)

Reviewed October 19, 2016

i went here on a friday in october specifically for happy hour (4-6)..they have a dedicated happy hour menu with drinks/food....i initially got the rosalita which was refreshing but a little lacking in vodka..i then switched chilean chardonnay which was nice and buttery...the decor really is very inviting and very tastefully and conservatively done in neutral tones...for apps we ordered the mussels and calamari..i am usually reluctant to order mussels in pgh as they just arent that fresh but my friend highly recommended them..these are served with andouille sausage which tasted frankly like kielbasa...they were okay..the calamari was mediocre as well but the lemony sauce was pleasant/refreshing...the best part of the food was the hamburger we ordered off of the tavern menu and split...comes with bacon/fried onions and we chose blue cheese...the fries were good but not "frites"...meaning they were lacking some sophistication..it never got obnoxiously crowded but still a nice older crowd and never too loud..i would definitely go back for happy hours/try some different apps...also the service in the tavern is above and beyond..very good!

Reviewed October 13, 2016

We decided to go here for drinks since close to our hotel. We were surprised to see they were closing at 9pm on a Sunday of a holiday weekend. We got 2 different kind of mules which were good but way to much for what you received.

Reviewed October 12, 2016

My friends and I dined at Eleven. The staff greeted us immediately and seated us in a nice corner booth. The only problem was the square table was so wide that it was difficult to hear the people seated across from you [especially with a large party next to us]. Our server was engaging and pleasant. She explained the menu and when asked what her recommendations were, she recommended the Pork Chop entrée.
Well I got that entrée and the pork chop was not tender at all. The mashed chickpeas with roasted carrots, grilled bok choy and tomato-bacon jam was the best part of that dish. Two of my friends chose the Hanger Steak entrée. They said it was delicious as was the Rosemary-Horseradish Potato Croquette.
The other friend got the Beef Tenderloin which wasn't cooked to her satisfaction and the steak was taken back for further cooking.
We were also celebrating a special occasion. No special dessert came complimentary for the birthday girl. So don't expect that. The pumpkin dessert that we did share was quite good though.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed October 12, 2016

The location in the Strip District, but right on the edge of downtown, is great. We were there for lunch, when they don't have valet parking. Their service is always excellent, attentive but not overbearing. The food is always fresh. I had a dish of scallops with fresh corn and andouille sausage, which was excellent. It was a delicious blend of tastes. My husband had the skirt steak and french fries. He also enjoyed that, but he thinks he should have ordered what I had!