“Great food with a sidewalk table”
Review of Noodle Hut - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Noodle Hut
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Enjoyed dinner with friends outside on S. Braddock ave. The shrimp summer rolls were fantastic as usual, I love the Phuket Pineapple Fried Rice and the Basil rice with Chicken. If the previous review is to be believed, this may not be authentic Thai food but it is quite tasty. I love being able to walk to dinner and even eat outside!

Reviewed April 14, 2009

Let me start by saying that I'm South East Asian and have been to Thailand as it's nearby and a great country to visit. After reading all the reviews and craving spices from back home, I was expecting good authentic Thai food at Green Mango. To say the least, maybe my expectations were too high as I was left disappointed with the food there.

Firstly, the most common Thai soup ie Tom Yum was watered down, had french beans in it (!!!), cauliflower (!!!!), and no straw mushrooms!!!! Other than chili spice, there was not much flavour to it! And most amazingly, I didnt see any lemongrass or taste lemongrass in the soup?!? How can that ever be considered Tom Yum??? I would most definitely not recommend that dish to anyone. The service was also fair as I was served with the wrong soup and when I told the server, she didnt apologize, just offered to take it away but said in parting that another server did tell her she took the wrong one!!!! If that was the case, why didnt she rectify it earlier!

The pineapple rice tasted bland. True, it looked cool in half a pineapple but exotic appearance doesnt make up for blandness.

We also ordered 2 curries. Once again, I was amazed with the amount of french beans in the curries....was there a sale at the market for french beans?!?!...and one of the curries was SALMON (ordered by someone who hasnt been to Asia)....Im sure other South East Asians are laughing when they're reading this by now. Salmon is Most definitely not part of Thai cuisine. And there were no baby eggplants in the curries. Maybe there were just french beans and no baby eggplant that day at the market. However I must say that as people who have never tried authentic Thai food, my dinner companions did find the curries nice.

Maybe it was just our server but I felt that service also was lacking. There were no smiles, just curt "how's the food" passing remarks whenever she came by.

On a good note, the fresh spring roll with roasted duck was nice and the only dish when I wont mind eating again.

Overall, I would give it 2 stars for authentic Thai food but 3 stars for edible fusion food. As it purports itself as a Thai restaurant, I'm just disappointed with its authenticity. Ive had more authentic Thai food in other parts of the US. Would recommend to people who dont mind watered down fusion Thai food but not to other Asians missing food from home.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Great food and BYOB!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 2, 2008

The Green Mango Noodle Hut is a gem in Regent Square. The owners used to operate my favorite lunch truck at Pitt, and now they have one of my favorite Thai restaurants in the city. They bumped Bloomfield's Thai Cuisine off the top, and are now in a close race for the #1 spot with Sweet Basil.

Try the tofu mango salad, or if you're lucky and they have it, the papaya salad with grilled chicken and sticky rice!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Their food makes me happy. The owner is a great guy and he always makes you feel welcome even if the place can get a little crowded. The take out service is convenient. If they tell you 30 minutesm it will be 30 minutes. The pineapple chicken curry is awesome.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook