“Hard to Beat the Terrific Setting”
Review of Redfin Blues

Redfin Blues
Ranked #240 of 2,188 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We use the Northshore Trail a lot for walking, running and biking, so this place is on our regular restaurant rotation in the spring/summer months. Of course you want to visit Redfin Blues on a warm, sunny day, preferably close to 5pm if you're there for dinner, because the small deck is where you want to sit, and it fills up early. There is usually a local musician singing and playing keyboard or guitar, and-- with the pleasure boats docking below you, and the kayakers paddling by-- you almost forget you're in Pittsburgh.

Service has been phenomenally bad in the past, but on our last visit, on Sunday for dinner, it was actually phenomenally good! We will be going back a few times in the next months and will follow-up here so readers will know if this was just a fluke, or an actual positive trend. With traffic restrictions on Rte 28, maybe they've had time to work on their hospitality skills? BTW, we were detoured along Penn Ave, through Lawrenceville, then across the 31st St Bridge, where the ramp down to the Marina IS open. Plenty of free parking under the bridge, and the detour was very well posted.

Anyhow, the food at Redfin Blues is usually pretty good, but not particularly fancy. Lots of sandwiches, seafood, some pasta and pizza. My sig/oth loves their Chilean Salmon and I'm partial to the Beer Battered Chicken and the Fajitas (allergic to seafood). I wish they had a real entree calibre salad, preferably with a spinach base, because that would be my handsdown choice. Or maybe a Chicken Caesar-- doesn't get much simpler than that. . . . As is, though, their side salads are very generously sized, and I like most of their side dishes and appetizers as well. Sometimes we go on Sunday mornings, when a breakfast menu would be nice, but the kitchen won't budge on this point either. In the final analysis, Redfin Blues is what it is. . . .

We really enjoy eating here even though they have their culinary limitations, and the service can be quite slow, and we sometimes have to sit on the back patio off the deck. There is also indoor seating but I have only seen people inside when it started to rain, and when it was really super crowded. Dinner for 2 on Saturday with beer @$38 plus tip.

Don't forget: You can enjoy a stroll along the Island Trail before or after your meal; or ride right up to the restaurant on your bike from downtown (about 10 mins by bike or 20 mins walking). I think visitors staying on the Northshore would really enjoy a local place like Redfin Blues!

There are newer reviews for Redfin Blues

Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and I had been meaning to dine at the Redfin Blues restaurant for some time. We finally got there last weekend and we were very disappointed. The setting is quite nice, I will give it that -- open bar built into and along the wall of the restaurant, and plenty of outdoor seating with a decent view of the river. But there is about were the positives end.

The staff was generally minimally capable but frankly indifferent. We asked our waitress to clarify the nature of their signature sauce and she could not even begin to do so. We tried their fish chowder soup: it was very good but cost $6 for a cup (the menu did not mention that the serving was a cup). I mentioned this extravagant cost to one of the waiters and he smirked and said he agreed. I had their beer battered fish sandwich and it was considerably over fried. My wife had the all-you-can-eat crab legs ($30) and that was not a bad deal, and they did bring the additional rounds out with reasonable alacrity. The side of butter was insufficient. The salad that came with it was paltry but decent. We ordered a bottle of wine and the waitress had no clue how to present it.

As for ambiance, the butter should have presented with some kind of flame warmer -- that would have been classy. Each table was "decorated" with an empty Miller Lite carton with the condiments in it. As darkness fell over the outdoor tables it became nearly impossible to see the food or my partner; candles are glaringly lacking.

All in all, Redfin Blues restaurant was a very mixed bag. I'll grant them it was a busy night. But given it all we would suggest there are plenty of other better restaurants in Pittsburgh. The possibilities here for an excellent dining experience are endless but they seem to have "gotten away" from the management.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

It's been a long time since Pgh had a cozy waterfront bar, let alone one with great food. Even my kids said this place was comparable to fla keys or sand diego. The peel and eat shrimp, ahi tuna and salmon were absolutely awesome. Kids liked the seafood pizza and I did too. Great service and location. Outside seating is by far my favorite, if you can dodge the pgh rain.

One thing though...I did notice some snobs mixed in the crowd who likely dock their $500K boats there. This may explain the negative reviews becaue I've eaten here a half dozen times with consistently excellent results. As I was eating a wonderful med-rare ahi steak that was melting in my mouth, a psycho sea hag sitting at an adjacent table returned two identical ahi's, one claimed to be undercooked (menu suggests rare duh) the second supposedly overcooked (duh again). Then she complained about appetizers she already gobbled down. She got up and left as her 3rd effort salmon entree arrived.

1  Thank pghPAtouring
Reviewed July 13, 2011

A friend took me to Redfin for my birthday. While we didn't experience the poor service that others have spoken of, the food was just okay - - nothing special. I had the salmon; my friend had the shrimp. The accompanying salad was just iceberg lettuce with little else. We had wanted to finish off our meal with a nice dessert, but were told that the restaurant didn't offer dessert. (I don't recall ever having a restaurant tell me that before. Even Chinese restaurants usually have sherbert).

Overall, a relaxing, scenic location, though an average to below average restaurant. If you want top quality food and a view, your better option is somewhere on Mt. Washington.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Was doing a solo bicycle ride along the north shore trail; on washington's landing i remembered this outdoor restaurant. The location is nice (can reach it by bicycle, seating on a deck looking at the allegheny). I had fajitas - the steak and the peppers were cooked (and that took long - got it about 15min later than the "cold" part, which was everything else).
Had a side salad; i asked the waiter if there were carrots in it (can't eat carrot - allergy). He said no but that wasn't true. All i n all the food was mediocre (should have taken some food on the ride and just have some beer there).

Been to Redfin Blues? Share your experiences!