“good overall”

Neighborhood: Squirrel Hill South
Sunnyvale, California
“good overall”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Always changing its name. Food hasn't changed that much. Seafood noodles are good. Shrimp dumplings are also pretty good.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank TRIPADVlSER

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Amherst, New York
“Average from a visitor's point of view”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This review is from a visitor's point of view and having dined at many different Chinese/Thai/Viet restaurants.

We had dinner with my family at this restaurant and it was pretty empty on a Friday Night at 8:00pm. We just happened to pass by while looking for a place to eat so we decided to give it a try. The overall restaurant had spacious feel but was dimly lit. The server was friendly and very knowledgeable. The menu had a variety of cuisines including Chinese, Malaysian and Thai. We order Roti Canai, Fried Pearl Noodles, Snow Peas in Malaysian Style, Hainanese Chicken, Shrimp Rice Roll and Lotus Leaf Sweet Rice. The food was average at best, I can't say I had anything that really stood out. Roti Canai tastry pretty authentic, Fried Pearl Noodles were a bit over cooked, Hainanese Chicken I would not recommend b/c I have had much better before. The Dim Sum was good but price wise it was a little steep.

If you want variety and chance to try different cuisines this might be a place to go but if you grew up eating Asian food this place is just okay.

• Visited July 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Sun Penang”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I love Sun Penang! We go so often the waiter knows us! Everyone is so kind and generous. The food is delicious. It is Malasian. The seating is comfortable. It is a great place to talk! I always get the vegetable fried rice and shrimp dumplings. Yum! My only complaint are the bathrooms. Overall it is an amazing Resteraunt!

• Visited April 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“Best Dim Sum!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent the weekend in Pittsburgh - the Paris of Appalachia. This was our second Dim Sum meal at this restaurant having been there last year and it did not disappoint. They bring out the food on a steam cart - the traditional way - and you pick out what you want. Everything we chose, from a nice assortment, was delicious and at the end we got egg custard cups and sesame balls and both were fantastic. I told the server that we came from Ohio to eat their Dim Sum - not really but maybe next time.

• Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Dim Sum in Pittsburgh”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

After some disappointing outings for dim sum in Pittsburgh (I'm looking at you, New Dumpling House and Empire Palace!), my family and I finally came across Sun Penang in Squirrel Hill and we are so glad we gave them a chance today.

We got an assortment from the dim sum menu to get an idea of what they had to offer. There is a pretty good selection (available from 11am-9:30pm) and the prices are reasonable. Here's what we got:

Bean Curd Skin Roll - excellent
Shiu Mei (Pork and Shrimp) - also excellent, did a 2nd order on this one
Chive with Shrimp (Dim Sum) - great
Rice Kor (Dim Sum) - OK, great texture on the outside, a little skimpy on the filling
Steamed Dumpling - OK, filling was good but the dumpling skin was a little soggy
Coconut Cake - perfect dessert
Steamed Pork Bun - great

I also ordered the Young Chow Fried Rice from the regular menu. This was good and it hit the spot flavorwise. Not heavy on the white onions, great rice to meat ratio but it was a little oily.

We went in on a Saturday lunch and the service was very attentive and friendly. Our family can rest a little easier knowing that we found a dim sum spot in our new home in Pittsburgh!

Visited June 2012