“Rejuvenation in a romantic elegant paradise”
Review of The Inn on Negley

The Inn on Negley
Ranked #1 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Rejuvenation in a romantic elegant paradise”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place just blew my husband and I away and I've been promising myself I would come on here and write a review. We stayed 2 nights in January and I have wanted to go back ever since.

My hubby is military and we were relocated to Pittsburgh from Seattle in January. We had to wait for closing to be finalized on our new home so we stayed at hotels and B&B's in the Pittsburgh area until we could move into our place. Our nights at The Inn were the best experience possible.

First off- staff are so caring and friendly. They go out of their way to wait on you and it feels like they ENJOY their jobs. Anything you need -- only ask. They are ready and willing to care for you. It always makes the aptmosphere so comfortable when the staff are friendly and welcoming. They feel like a family that has invited you to stay in their beautiful house-- but they are unintrusive and have a good understanding that people like their space and time to themselves during their stay.

The rooms are enchanting and luxurious. The first night we stayed in the Cortland Suite and THOSE BATHTUBS! A vacation in themselves. The bathroom was phenominal- sky high ceiling, lots of room. Most extravagant bathroom I've ever seen. We sipped our complimentary evening wine and nibbled on our assorted meats, olives and cheeses (available free every night in the lobby)

We soaked in the tub and then snuggled into our plush robes that were in the closet. The bed was so comfy. You know the bed is great when you sleep 10 hours straight no interuptions and almost miss breakfast. All the decor just made me feel like I was the Princess of Wales or something. It was so beautiful with the lights dimmed and gas fireplace glowing created amazing romance.

Breakfast was to die for. A lovely fine dining room prepared beautifuly. (They will deliver breakfast to your room instead for small extra charge ) We reccomend going to the dining room though and get the HOT CHOCOLATE !!!!!!! Wow. I have never tasted hot chocolate so incredible! Home made whipped cream on top to boot! Also the bananas foster french toast, its ALL delicious but those were our personal faves. Its about a 4 course breakfast- plenty of choices- more than are advertised on the entree' selection card they give you. They don't skimp on the quality of every dish! You will not go hungry!

The Cortland suite was booked the next night, so we stayed in the Empire Suite- equaly incredible. There is also a Keurig cofee machine in the lobby for those cofee cravings any time of the day or night. Everything was just so extravagant and the history of the mansion is so interesting. The whole ambiance of the place transports you back to a Downton Abbey era. So fun!

Everything their website advertises-- you will get, if not MORE. We truly loved it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 564shay564
Innonnegley, Manager at The Inn on Negley, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Wow! Thanks a million for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We were glad to be a part of welcoming you to the Pittsburgh community! It always feels so good to be reassured that we are offering the best bed and the best breakfast possible, as these are so very important for a B&B! You may be a resident of Pittsburgh now, so feel free to come in just for breakfast anytime!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My family and I are from New York but my twin sister is doing her residency in Pitt and we always go to The Inn on Negley when we're in town. I recently spent 4 years in London and have been to a lot of tea houses now, but this gem competes with the best of the British! The scones, the tea, the ambiance, even the vintage tea cups that are for sale, everything about The Inn on Negley is perfect. And to top it off, the owners are the most lovely people and the service is a 10 out of 10. Our family can't recommend it enough. We are looking forward to staying in one of the rooms this summer!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jlosicco
Innonnegley, Manager at The Inn on Negley, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our High Tea. We are blushing! And we very much look forward to your overnight visit this summer; we'll be sure to pamper you with the care and kindliness you have come to expect from our tea services!
Oakdale, Pennsylvania, Usa
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My daughter treated several of our family members to an early Mother's Day "high tea". The food, service, and atmosphere were incredible! We have decided to make it an annual event. Thank you, Liz and staff!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Silly2 E
It was our honor to celebrate Mother's day with you and your family. Thank you so much!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I attended a tea with my group of friends yesterday at The Inn On Negley. the Inn is a very beautiful B&B located in Shadyside. I had chocolate mint tea, egg salad and chicken salad tea sandwiches, freshly baked scones with clotted cream and an array of beautifully prepared desserts. Everything tasted so good. The wait staff were friendly and accommodating to everyone's needs. I was especially impressed with how well they handled waiting on a large group such as ours. It is definitely one of the best tea rooms I have been to.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank pittsburgh4
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Honest truth: I am both a tea snob and an Anglophile. I live for a proper Afternoon Tea. And sadly – since I don’t find myself often in London (where Afternoon Tea at The Goring Hotel is my gold standard) – I have to make due with finding an Afternoon Tea a bit closer to home. Recently my friend and I had the English High Tea at the Inn on Negley in Shadyside. It may not be London – but it came very close! Tea is served in a small but cozy room at this restored Victorian mansion. With soothing classical music playing in the background, we were presented with tea menus. Numerous blends of black, green, white and herbal; they all looked so good! (Please note that they offer both loose and bagged variety – make sure to notice the little icons on the tea menu.) We were told we could each select two different teas. What a dilemma! The table setting was very elegant and we were served on beautiful china. Our tiered tower of food was presented to us and the hostess explained each finger sandwich, scone and delicate pastry. Every bite was delicious. I really cannot fault them on anything. The only thing I found a bit out of the ordinary was their use of crème fraiche as opposed to the traditional clotted cream. It was still very good – however I feel my taste buds were a bit confused. There is nothing quite like clotted cream with jam and scones. But again – I am an insufferable snob about such things. The English High Tea at the Inn on Negley is a true delight and very authentic. So thrilled to have found such a place in Pittsburgh!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MsWincham
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience! For future reference, we are happy to supply clotted cream, by request. Just let us know when you make the reservation and we will be sure to have it for you! We've experimented with offering both clotted cream and our homemade crème fraiche, and the crème fraiche seems to be more popular amongst our guests. But we agree with you, there's nothing like the real deal to complete a proper tea experience!
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé whisked me away here to spend his extra day off for Presidents Day. Such a lovely experience all the way around!!!
We arrived Sunday afternoon and were immediately greeted and given a tour of the inn and our room, the Granny Smith suite. We immediately decide to take full advantage of stay here. We opted for the craft beer and cheese plate to be delivered to our room before our dinner outing and played some chess in one of the common rooms during the complimentary wine. The innkeeper even went above and beyond by not only recommending Girasole for dinner but calling ahead to make sure there was no wait time for us at this very popular restaurant. We hit a couple local bars and headed back to relax in the jacuzzi tub. The bed and linens were soft and cozy and breakfast did not disappoint!
I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone! Can not wait to return!!!

• Stayed February 2013
San Jose
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful brunch with my husband at the Inn on Negley. Wish I had known earlier that they were open to public and not only for inn guests. The old world charm is not just thanks to the fireplace, decor and table settings, the staff exudes the bygone era hospitality. My husband got the prix fixe and they gave me a complimentary fruit plate which was very nice. Guess they didnt want me to feell left out! Will be back for high tea soon, especially since we live five minutes away! Almost wish we didnt so we could stay overnight

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple