“Stylish attention to detail”
Review of The Inn on Negley

The Inn on Negley
Ranked #1 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very well accommodated - we were even offered an extra room at a much reduced rate when a friend joined us.
The house is very elegant, the staff were all delightful and very helpful and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 5, 2011

I discovered the Inn on Negley accidentally, about 7 or 8 years ago. I grew up in Pittsburgh, moved away to London, and would return every year for Christmas to see my relatives. Due to my sis having dogs (I'm allergic), I had to stay in hotels. I've tried them all. Some nice, but all were the standard, impersonal hotel fare. I then found the Inn on Negley, which has totally transformed my experience of coming to Pittsburgh. Now I have 2 small children, associate the Inn with Christmas time, and love their time there. My wife, who is English, absolutely adores the Inn on Negley. In all our travels, European and American, we have never found an Inn or hotel with the combination of charm, attention to detail, quality of service staff and food, and location that the Inn on Negley offers. In any tourist location they could easily fill the hotel at triple the rates in Pittsburgh. Believe me, do not waste your time sniffing around and trying different places. It's a waste of time. This place is amazing, and after the first day, you'll share my feelings.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RobinUKUSA
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We truly enjoyed our stay...need to work a bit on the delivery of breakfast

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I would highly recommend the Inn. It is beautifully and tastefully decorated with quality furniture and artwork. All the decorative items are carefully selected, fortunately there is no frilly lace or fluffy "over the top" decor that can be present in some B and Bs.The bed was incredibly comfortable, pillows were so soft yet supportive that I ordered 2 for home! I stayed in the spacious Cortland suite with a cozy fireplace and huge bathroom. The common areas in the Inn are warm and inviting with open fires in the fireplaces and soothing, yet quiet music playing. In the afternoons, there are complimentary tea and pastries and later, wine and cheese. Coffee and tea are available 24 hours a day. The innkeepers are very helpful, professional and kind, they are attentive and knowledgable and provided excellent recommendations for area restaurants. The owner even came out in a snow storm to pick me up when I was stranded at a restaurant and no taxis would come for pick up.
The Inn is in an excellent location of Shadyside, near the medical centers, UPitt and Carnegie Melon and within walking distance to excellent restaurants and shops. I so enjoyed my stay that I will be returning back this summer.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We did not stay here; we only visited for afternoon tea. (But we hope to return for an overnight visit someday).
We have had several afternoon tea experiences in England (including the Orangerie, London, and the Pump Room, Bath) and in the US. The Fernwood TeaRoom in the Inn on Negley by far tops them all. Simply a relaxing, slow-paced, chef-prepared, professional service, and only $20 per person.
Jackie greeted us with a short explanation of the tea menu and service, then left us for a few minutes to peruse our menus and decide or ask questions. She also encouraged us to switch to a different tea with the dessert selections. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, the room elegant (not over-the-top Victorian tacky, which is sadly the norm in American tea rooms), the food of fresh, gourmet quality.
The sandwiches, scones, and dessert items were served on 3-tiered silver trays, the tea in bone china. The tea selection was extensive, varied, and high-quality.
A very pleasant and memorable afternoon. We doubt we'll ever find a better tea experience in the States (or overseas for that matter).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank savvyaztravelers
Reviewed November 12, 2010

The Inn on Negley is a bit pricey -especially on weekends-but worth it. If you are visiting on University business or a medical visit at UPMC, skip the other choices and stay here. Wonderful rooms with fireplaces, great bedding, a gourmet chef prepared breakfast, and afternoon tea and treats. The owners go beyond your expectations to provide everything you need for a comfortable stay. Safe, secure location and really a treat in beautiful Shadyside. Walk around and see teh beautiful old mansions and then relax back at your cozy room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

This was our fourth stay at the Inn in the past 14 months. We absolutely love it! Liz, the innkeeper, cannot do enough for her guests, whether it is offering food or sightseeing tips. The breakfast is full, hot and made to order. The afternoon features delicious cookies and beverages, with wine and cheese before the dinner hour. The rooms are elegantly decorated, with beautiful bathrooms. We wish the windows were noise proof, as there is sometimes a fair amount of traffic noise outside, but it is in a city afterall. Overall, our favorite B and B in the US!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple