“Probably time to pull the plug”

Original Oyster House
Ranked #1,253 of 2,195 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place has been around for a very long time, as evidenced by all the autographed photographs on the wall. But the restaurant feels old and poorly maintained, the help comes off as uncaring, and the food itself isn't particularly good. I hate to say it, but it's probably past time for this place to be closed.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I don't know why this place is so famous. I went here after walking around the Peoples Gas Holiday Marketplace in Market Square. This place was recommended by my friends that I went with. We went in about 3pm and were the only ones in the place and they acted like we were taking up their time! The place was dark and dreary looking. The girl asked me 3 times what I ordered! Hello! There are only 3 people in here and you can't remember what I ordered!? Then she gave me a brown pop, which I didn't order and don't drink and acted like it was my fault! So she dumped out the pop and poured lemonade in the cup. The same cup. The fish sandwich was good-- very large portion, but no better than other fish sandwiches I have had-- the coleslaw was dry & salty, and the hand made chips were cold & rubbery. I was not impressed. I noticed that neither of my friends finished their sides, so I 'm guessing that they were no better than mine but they didn't want to say so since they had raved about this place so much. Never again.
Were we in the wrong place? Other reviews talk about the bar and the great dining experience. This place was a walk up counter where you order and then take your food to a table. So, basically a glorified fast food place. What bar? What dining room? It was just some old tables and chairs and hardly enough lighting to see what you were eating in the afternoon. I can't imagine eating here at night! There are several choices of places to eat surrounding Market Square so I have absolutely no reason to ever eat here again.

1  Thank ladylynnea
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

The Original Oysyer House in Pittsburgh had the best fish sandwich in the country. We travel to Pittsburgh a few times a year and always go to the Oyster House. Friendly staff serve up cold beverages and great food. Not your typical greasy bar food. The fish sandwich just melts in your mouth. If you are in town head to the square and bypass those noisy places for the great atmosphere and food at The Oyster House.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

An early fast food style fish place. Huge fish sandwiches. Everything is fried and about what you would expect.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had my first dinner at the Original Oyster House of Market Square in 1967, 45 years ago. it was already close to 100 years old. And God willing, it will last another 142 years.
The basic is various forms of fried seafood and great Pittsburgh beer. Period. If you don't want fried seafood and cold beer, don't go here.. Although fried, the food isn't if you do, you won't leave hungry, thirsty or disappointed. It will all be served on paper-plates, with plastic cutlery and plastic cups for beer. But the food doesn't and neither should you,. The fried food is crispy and not greasy. The fish is tender and flaky and mild tasting and is always served piping hot.
Market Square has undergone a significant renovation in recent years. All eateries in the area have outdoor seating, including the Oyster House. But you would be remiss to not take in the decor of the place. Miss America pictures going back to 1935. Rocky Marciano glowering at the customers. And a unique white tile wall covering that was probably in style 100 years ago.
Lastly, you will see a unique clientele in the Oyster House. The prices are so reasonable and the food so good, the place is a meeting place for locals of all sorts. From the outside, the Oyster House may not seem appealing to the casual customer. And that will be their loss.

PS: The OH is cash only. No plastic.