“Interesting building” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Church Brew Works

Church Brew Works
Ranked #14 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“Interesting building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were recommended the brew works by a friend. We arrived pretty late but the place was still buzzing. The building is an old church that has been transformed into a micro brewery. The inside has been tastefully transformed to house the brew tanks and other brewing vessels. The back drop of the pipe organ and the beautiful stain glass windows really add to the character of the place.
Now for the beer. It is good! We sat at the bar and I had the chance to try two different ones. They had several to choose from but I think I hit the right ones. We also had food. The menu is quite extensive so there is a lot to choose from. I went for the Cubano which was massive and I was super full once I finished it.
Once we had finished we got the bill and it was very reasonable. I would definitely visit again next time I'm in Pittsburgh.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Santa Clarita, California, United States
“Amen to Church Brew Works”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We found this gem of a place in our AAA travel book, and just had to see for ourselves. The front of the church looks just as it did in the early days. The stained glass windows the high ceilings paintings on the walls and even the old pipe organ all add to the atmosphere. We went out of our way to get here going to Ohio to Virginia. It was worth it. We didn't eat there but we did try the sampler of crafted beers. They were fantastic. Highly recommend stopping by.

• Visited November 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best pizza of your life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

The uniqueness of the atmosphere makes this a place definitely worth visiting. I don't drink beer, but the birch beer and cream soda brewed here are phenomenal! I've tried a few dishes there, but my favorite is the pizza, hands down. They have some interesting varieties, but my favorite is the white pizza. This is one of my favorite restaurants of all time, and I highly recommend it to everyone I know.

Visited October 2013
Pittsburgh
“Good food and atmosphere, attentive service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We ate here for the first time a few days ago with friends who had been before. We really enjoyed it! The menu is varied---wish I could have tried a few more items. My friend and I loved the fried brussel sprouts! I know a lot of people are not fans of brussel sprouts (probably without having tasting them), but these were delicious. Slightly crispy, slightly savory, slightly sweet---a winning combo. Brought hot to the table in a deep bowl---we thought we might not be able to finish them, but we finished every bite! The buffalo burgers were good---slightly dryer than a beef hamburger, though. If you like your burgers medium, you might try this one medium rare. The extras, though, are extra---cheese, onions, mushrooms---it might be nice to have these (at least the cheese) included in the price. My chicken sausage sandwich was great, and the sweet potato fries were excellent. I cleaned my plate, even after all those brussel sprouts! And the beer---we really enjoyed the Pious Monk Dunkel, and the Pipe Organ Pale Ale. The true revelation was something called Hooch---wish I could remember the full name of this specialty beer. Wow! Higher alcohol content, intense bourbon flavor---try this while it's here, because it's not around for long. Looking forward to returning to try some of the seasonal brews.
As good as any meal or atmosphere is (and eating in a huge remodeled church is unique and interesting), it can be spoiled by inferior service. Our waitress, Christina, added so much to our experience at the Church Brew Works. She was excellent---attentive without being intrusive, knowledgeable, friendly and efficient. When she checked back often to see how things were, we got the feeling that she actually cared. She let us know before we ordered that the pizzas were taking a longer than normal time, so we ordered sandwiches that came promptly after the appetizers. We were too full for dessert. Think I'll have to come back for more brussel sprouts, sweet potato fries, and dessert. It's a fun place.

• Visited November 2013
Corolla
“Great food and beer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Located in a former church. Good service and a creative menu. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Pittsburgh.

Visited August 2013