“It's a Meatball”

Ranked #57 of 2,254 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Emporio: A Meatball joint is located on the 1st Floor of Sienna Mercato. Choose from a variety of gourmet meatballs, sauces, and have it served to your liking. Emporio: A Meatball Joint has snack things, sides, salads, and a variety of house made deserts all made from our scratch kitchen. We have 32 draft beers, wine and cocktails.
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I had no idea you could make meatballs out of such a variety of things. I had the Rocket Salad with a veggie ball. My husband had the pork meatball with Bolognese sauce - perfectly spicy. The service was good and the food was great. Loved the water in a bottle to share and that it was so cold. Loved the open windows. Great place we would eat at again next time in Pittsburgh.

1  Thank DLemon

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Went here with a group of 13 for a bachelorette party. They do not accept reservations, but we were able to use an app to wait in line and ended up sitting almost as soon as we arrived. We were on the third level (rooftop beer garden); the first floor was packed and serves meatballs; the second floor was not yet open, so the steps were closed. We had to wait 15 minutes to get the elevator to the top floor, and there were probably 15 of us packed into it at a time - what a fire hazard!!

ATMOSPHERE - Very pretty on the 3rd floor, but I feel like it's wasted on this place. The ambiance is why the place got 2 stars from me, because nothing else was good. The crowd and employees were trying sooooooooo hard to be cool it was painful. I have never seen so many people trying so hard to look like they weren't trying hard. Lots of mustaches and fake glasses and ironic T's. The employees all look like actors made to look like a certain role - there is no way this group of people just happened to come together with their severe haircuts and tattoo sleeves. Nothing was genuine about this place.

SERVICE - We sat for about 5 minutes before a server acknowledged us. It was a busy Saturday evening, I understand that. Our server only took 1/2 of our drink orders, then came back another 10 minutes later to get the rest of us. She refused to take our food orders at the same time. I did not like the fact that they take your credit card upon arrival, regardless of if you want to pay in cash (I will get to this later). The server seemed like it was a chore to wait on us, and wouldn't explain anything. When we decided it was time to go, we flagged the girl down for our bills, and shocker of all shockers, my friend and I were both charged incorrectly on our cards, even though the server promised me I wouldn't be charged at all because I was paying cash. She left with our checks and came back another 10 minutes later and just then took my cash, and counted my change back to me, but it was less than I should have received. I asked if she already took out her tip and she said no and when I corrected the change amount, she had to scrounge around to get my money back. 2 days later and the charge is still on my card. I am waiting 1 more day then calling. I also found it strange that we were cashing out around 10pm on the 14th and my bill was dated for the 15th.

FOOD - When we finally got our drinks we were allowed to order off of the ridiculously small menu, and I made the terrible mistake of ordering Pork Rinds. I have never had them before and figured if Sienna Mercato deems them worthy of being on their menu, they must be the most amazing pork rinds ever - this is so not the case. They almost crack your teeth when you bite them but then turn to greasy mush in your mouth. A friend let me try her Caprese Salad and that was great - order it!

Maybe try this place in a year when no one cares about it anymore, and they can actually serve you within a reasonable time frame and treat their patrons well.

2  Thank evlow
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Although I did not love the food on the first floor I did love the atmosphere on the roof top beer garden. The place was pack and it looked like everyone was having a great time. The beer selection was large and the staff was helpful when making a choice of beer. I wish there would have been more chairs to sit in because standing for that long while we waited for our table at Empierio's was frustrating.
Once we were seated at our table we were greeted by our waiter Joe who was very nice and knowledgeable about everything on the menu. We stated with poutine which is french fries and mushroom gravy. Very tasty! For my entree I got their Rocket Salad which was a bowl of arugula, fresh mini balls of mozzarella, toasted almonds and a few slices of tomato. The salad was delicious and kind of pricey at $6 and was too big for one person. I feel like you could share this with another person. Then my meatball of choice was a ground beef meatball panini with their pork bolognese sauce which was very tasty and filling.
I will come back again but will be prepared to wait since they don't take reservations and expect it to be loud.

2  Thank AMarie525
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

They do not take reservations. The bottom floor is a huge bar but if you can't get a seat there is no room to stand. The hostess failed to mention the third floor bar and garden, but luckily we asked. It's an awesome covered rooftop space but with a very limited menu. First floor has a completely different menu and drink options, which is much better than the third floor. The place is loud. While I was waiting for a table, Several people left due to the noise on the first floor.
So the food. Ordered pork meatballs. They were ok. Beef tasted better. Tater tots are great! Interesting concept for sandwiches and good beer selection. Staff was not helpful. All in all it's a bar with TVs and round balls of meat and silent staff.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is located near the convention center, and they are able to open the front of the restaurant so it is open to the nice spring/ summer weather while it is enjoyable here. Went to lunch at 11:25 and was immediately seated at a window, but (be warned) by the time we left at 12:30, there was a line out the door for a table. Service was friendly and unobtrusive. Ordered just the $11 "saucy balls" for $11 and put it on tomatto risotto for an additional $4. Disapointingly, they are real strict about not letting you choose different meatball types or sauces, even if you order an entree (such as this one) that would seem to be perfect for sampling their different options. So, I only had one choice of meatball (spicy pork) and one choice of sauce (arribiatta). Food was served quickly and was very tasty. Meatballs were of average size, with a light amount of sauce, on a huge bed of risotto.

I love the addition of open/ outdoor accessible eating in downtown, the place is stylish/ trendy, the service was good, and the food was tasty. $15 is a little much for 4 meatballs and risotto, but you pay for going to a new trend. Just really wish they would loosen up the rules or provide some type of sampling platter......if you are going for business, they didn't have any extremely large tables, do not take large party reservations, and it was pretty loud between the music and crowd (unless you are right on the windows).