“Best Indian Food we've Had!!!!!”
Review of Star of India - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: North Oakland
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We loved the food and the server was extremely helpful in aiding us to order. This was our second visit to the Star Of India in Oakland, Pittsburgh,PA. My son's 10th time!!! We went for his 25th B'day. Four in our party had never eaten here before. She spent so much time with us explaining the food choices and answering our questions. She made some reccomendations for appetizers and she was spot on!!! We had the platter that sampled four different appetizers and the pappadum,(lentil crackers) with the tamarind and mint dips.They were delicious. For dinner we had . We had the lamb tandorri, chicken tikki masala, shrimp tikki masala and lamb curry and chicken curry. We were so satisfied!! The music in the background is Indian but it is not loud at all. We found it to be very relaxing. If you go, leave some extra time to find parking. There is not a parking lot since this is in an urban district and there are a lot of Pitt students out and about so Parking can be tricky depending on the time you go. We went on a Sunday at 6pm and had no trouble parking 3 cars.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Went for the lunch buffer when I was visiting the university.
Did not expect too much from an $8.99 lunch buffet, but still
slightly disappointed.

The place looks like what you would expect from such an Indian restaurant.
The buffet had an OK selection, and the quality of what was there was eatable,
but not much more.

Was surprised to see the RICE was empty, when I went to take food, something
that should not happen in an Indian buffet (and we certainly do not need to tell the
waiters this). The Matar Paneer was out of the Paneer, so it has only peas. Latter
they ran out of Nan (and did not bring any until we left)

I think it might be a reasonable place for lunch, if it had at least what it claimed.

Reviewed November 3, 2010

BUG INFESTED. EATING HERE COULD BE A SERIOUS HEALTH RISK.

While eating at the 'Star of India' restaurant in Oakland, Pittsburgh, I discovered a baby roach stuck to the inside wall of my glass.

The staff tried to convince me that it was a piece of fennel, which clearly could not be the case. I wonder what an Allegheny County Health Department inspector would do in that situation. Hopefully we will find out soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2010

Food is about average. Place is very dark for dinner time, seems like they are trying to hide the bad shape the restaurant is in. Anyway, we had bad experience with the service and don't recommend the place. Old indian lady got mad at us because we didn't order enough food. She angrily said she spends 40 cents on these dinner napkins and would have given us lunch napkin if she knew we wouldn't order much! Then she complained about our tip.

Rude, rude, rude

1  Thank ben7333
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Went to this restaurant with a friend today for lunch. To begin with, the lunch buffet was much smaller than I'm used to seeing at most Indian restaurants, but at first glance, it seemed to have a good variety of items.
What really concernes me is that the food is not kept hot at the proper temperature...it was barely luke-warm. Not a good sign for a buffet! Not to mention the fact that that is a health code violation. Even when "just cooked" items were brought out from the kitchen, they were not steaming hot - it made me wonder if they are just reheating pre-made/frozen items in the kitchen instead of cooking them fresh.

The food was just O.K. and nothing to write home about I don't know the names of all of the dishes, but some were barely recognizable to me until I gave them a stir with the serving spoon to see what the ingredients were. The naan was like cardboard and was burnt on the bottom. Overall, a very disappointing experience. The bill came to over $19 including tax for 2 people JUST for the lunch buffet - we did not order drinks or anything else. For this price for a lunch buffet, I would expect much more. There are other Indian restaurants in Pittsburgh that are much better than this one. Don't waste your time here.