“Expected a lot more”

Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Leland, North Carolina
“Expected a lot more”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went with a friend who is from Pittsburgh and who had been once before. Nice little place with a welcoming staff. Food selection was varied and interesting. Our entrees were good, but trouble started with the dessert. My friend had heard one of the special desserts was peanut butter, chocolate and bacon cheesecake. The offerings were brought out and we both chose the cheesecake and I also ordered coffee. The waiter came back to say there was only one piece of the dessert left so we split it. My coffee came out, but it turned out to be long brewed tea. I sent it back and eventually the dessert came out, but no coffee. I reminded the waiter of my coffee, but it did not come until I had finished the dessert. The waiter apologized about the coffee saying he would not charge me for it. When I drank some it was terrible, it tasted like instant and bad instant at that. A couple days later, I looked at my bill and found that he had charged me for 2 desserts instead of one. The bacon addition to the cheesecake was not good at all and we both agreed it was a bad choice. What bothered me was the restaurant was not busy at all and the mistakes should not have been made, especially charging me more than was correct.

2 Thank Richard B

Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Second Time the Charm Again”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Small place but not noisy and very festive. My wife, daughter and roommates ate on a Saturday night late. This is the second time for my wife and I (third time for my daughter) and the food and service are great! The owner/manager greeted us with literally with opened arms, even though we were late and had no reservations. We ordered the zucchini planks, a fried but very light dish, a little bit like Japanese tempura, for starters for everybody and the plates were gone in no time flat! The "pillows" dishes (smaller lighter than cheese Raviolis) were fabulous and my wife's pasta with marinara sauce was good enough to stand against any the best Italian restaurants. A few drinks, starters, dinners, desserts and tips = $130 for 5 people. Always consistent. And I like the Gaelic cross over the bar area is a nice touch! This is our go-do place in Pittsburgh.

1 Thank DeHeyMcA
South Park Township, Pennsylvania, Usa
“A unique find”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The food was unique and delicious, fresh and hot. Service was great, the waitress was friendly. It was a small, but very cozy comfortable environment. A great place for a special occasion.

Pittsburgh
“Best dining experience in years!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The atmosphere is classy yet homey. The menu is very unique, service is friendly and quick! The best food I have eaten in years--cannot wait to go back and bring my friends!

“Gem of a Meal”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We walked from our hotel to find dinner on the Southside and were delighted to have found the 17th Street Cafe. It seemed crowded and a little noisy upon entry, but we were quickly seated and the noise level soon disappated. We had one of their Wednesday night wine specials and found the Cabernet to be quite good for the price. The food was delicious, especially enjoyed their interpretation of Italian Wedding soup. We had a pasta dish and the Asiago Pillows, they were delicious. The service was attentive without being intrusive. Will be sure to return on a future trip to Pittsburgh.

Visited July 2013