“Best pizza in town”
Review of Pizzaiolo Primo

Pizzaiolo Primo
Reserve with OpenTable
Pizzaiolo Primo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Market Square and Forbes Ave.
Transit: Gateway LTR
Description: Welcome to IL Pizzaiolo, home of truly authentic Neapolitan Cuisine. IL Pizzaiolo roots trace back to Pittsburgh circa 1996, with an original credo: create Neapolitan pizza and other authentic dishes using old-world techniques and the highest quality ingredients available. More than a decade later, we still make everything on our menu the authentic Neapolitan way: From our hand-made sweet fennel sausage, meatballs, and fresh pasta, to our fresh mozzarella and antipasto vegetables. If it isn’t hand-made, it’s imported from only the finest artisans, cheesemakers, and Salumeria. Our Mozzarella di Bufala is imported directly from Naples. We cook only Pasta di Gragnano – the finest dried pasta in the world – always to order, always al dente. We bake our authentic Neapolitan Pizzas at 1000° in our handcrafted, wood-fired brick oven for 90 seconds using DOP San Marzano tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil on our perfectly leavened dough. The result is in an authentic Neapolitan culinary experience with integrity. Buon appetito!
“Best pizza in town”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you want authentic Neapolitan Pizza this is the place to go in Pittsburgh. Lovers of true Margheritas living in the city had to endure a pilgrimage to its homonymous restaurant in Mount Lebanon until this Market Square location opened. It was a hike and if you are a Pittsburgher you know that crossing rivers is usually a pain, but I have done it at times and it has always been well worth the time and the traffic of route 51. This newer downtown location is a real perk. Pizzas are absolutely delicious. From the appetizers I love the "arancine", a Sicilian fried comfort food which also rivals that of the motherland. I particularly like the outdoor seating area that allows to experience downtown city action. Overall, not to be missed if you are a pizza connoisseur.

• Visited October 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Such a charming environment, but the food and service don't match.”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We did only order a couple of pizzas, but they were disappointing, especially for the price. The crust was incredibly soggy, and the sauce runny and missing something. The wine serving seemed stingy for the price. I almost cancelled on the wine since it arrived quite a bit later than the pizzas. Water came late, too. Servers are nice, but maybe a but disorganized. I want to give it a second chance, but I'm afraid of making another expensive mistake.

• Visited October 2013
“Order the Pizza”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This restaurant has pleasing ambiance, is conveniently located to parking and the cultural district and has an outstanding array of Italian wines. The pizzas are unique and I've thoroughly enjoyed every one I've tried. The appetizers can be a destination in themselves, though I personally feel compelled to have the rice balls every time I go.
On the flip side, we recently waited nearly an hour for our entrees to appear, which was troublesome since we had theater tickets. The wait staff needed to be more attentive, and the restaurant's marinara sauce is far too bland for some of the pasta dishes.
In summation, I'll go back, but I'll stick to the pizza.

los angeles, ca
“Charming restaurant . . .”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Charming restaurant in the famous market place in downtown Pittsburgh. The servers were very attentive and kind. We sat upstairs next to the window with a wonderful view of the market place. I would not order the margherita pizza again. It was really soggy. . . heavy with tomato sauce. However, the pollo alla limone was delightfully tasty and accompanied by delicious broccolini. I will go back the next time I visit Pittsburgh even though it is on the pricey side.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Always a consistently good meal/fabulous Italian wine list”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I live in Mt. Lebanon, a suburb south of Pittsburgh. Il Pizzaiolo is always a favorite with me and my family. It has a quaint cobblestone courtyard out back that remains open from late spring until late summer, and a fantastic wine bar that provides such a homey feel, with it's wood burning fireplace. The manangement and chefs take trips to Italy about once every year or two to learn different dishes that are indiginous to various parts of that country.They sample new wines as well. Then they return to Pittsburgh and wow us with new specials every time we visit. Do not think that their regular menu isn't worth a mention! I often find myself ordering a simple dish of rigatoni with meatballs and find myself in heaven, or at the very least, taken back to days when I got fed at my Italian grandmother's house on a Sunday afternoon!