“Very Disappointed”

Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Staying in the Cultural district there are Greek restaurants galore. We chose Christos because the server talked us into it when we stopped to view the menu. He told us it was the best Greek food in Pittsburgh. There was nobody else there (which should have been a red flag), but we were well past the dinner hour and several other area restaurants were sparce too so we took a chance. The best part of the meal was the salad dressing, which was good once you picked out the brown lettuce. We ordered pastichio and mousakka. They had basically no taste and you could see the oil rising around them on the plate. Not very appetizing. They came with rice which was pretty good and sauted vegetables, again swimming in oil. The service was great, again there was nobody else there. Won't be going back

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I always go to this restaurant when I'm in Pittsburgh. There are no frills, just simple decor in an old-world dining room, but the food is excellent, just excellent. Christo does his own cooking and makes his own wine, and will often come out of the kitchen to chat with the customers. And it is so cheap! Here is a artist who cares for each dish he makes - cares for the food, not for whether the plate is elegant, or whether a sauce is "drizzled", or whether the server can recite the name of each item on the menu. You pay for culinary quality. This is the finest Greek food I have found outside of Greece.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was downtown to see a Sunday matinee performance at the Pittsburgh Public Theatre and was running short on time to find a place to eat before the curtain time. I ran across Christo's and got seated immediately.
I told the waiter I had a 2:00 PM matinee; he said I would make it. I ordered the Greek shepherd pie and it was okay. The lamb was sparse and a little chewy. And the phyllo pastry shell that the meat was contained in was overdone and almost burnt on the ends.The rice was very good and the accompanying vegetables tasty.
I watched the waiter tout his "Jackie Onassis cake" that he invented to every customer in the restaurant. He had a framed article that named his dessert as Best in Pittsburgh according to a local magazine. The cake looked good, but I was out of time and had to go. You pay your bill at a centrally located cash register. A large private party was seated near the checkout area and it was a little crowded to get there and settle your bill. I did make it to the theatre on time and for that, Christo's gets an extra star in my review, bumping it up to 4 stars.
I would definitely go back and order some other items from the menu. Prices were very reasonable.And I would for sure try the Jackie O cake!!!

Reviewed February 16, 2012

The owner of Christos was actually the personal chef to Jackie Onassis for three years on her private yacht - and it totally shows in the food. Everything is fresh, light, homemade, and totally authentically Greek. And did I mention that it was incredibly cheap? Main dishes 5.95. Appetizers are generous and between 2.50 and 4 dollars. Great place for a healthy, delicious meal.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I live two plus hours from Pitt but would make the trip for Christos! The food is wonderful, deserts tasty, atmosphere is nice and Christo is an amazing cook.