“Just ok”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Strip District
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We went here once before and ordered cocktail shrimp. They were large and well worth the $1.50 a piece . On this trip we ordered and the were tiny salad shrimp. Were told they changed the menu. My kids had previously ordered chicken and loved it. On this occasion the chicken had also been changed and was nasty. We ordered a white pizza and our waitress brought us a pizza with red sauce. So we had to send back. It was a very long lunch with all the issues we had. Going to look elsewhere next time.

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The food was fabulous! If you are a seafood lover, you must stop here! The only downfall is the wait is very long. Don't eat here if you are in a hurry, but the wait is worth it. Would defiantly go back.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

This isn't so much a seafood restaurant as a bar that serves seafood. Located in the Strip District, it is actually one of several seafood establishments in the Strip so nothing unique there. Most eateries in the Strip are open for breakfast and lunch and close their doors at 3-4pm. So Rolands is one of the few places to catch a late lunch or early dinner.
The place is large with indoor and outdoor seating. The wait staff was friendly and helpful. The place looked clean.
We squeezed into a booth; one of the smallest, cramped and uncomfortable booths I have ever been in.
The waiter took our drink order, returned for our food order and the the food came out of the kitchen pretty quickly. We ordered the Spicy Crab Soup and, one of the house specials, a Fish Sandwich with fries.The portions were very large; in the case of the fish sandwich, I would call it huge. Two large pieces of white fish on a huge bun. My wife really liked the soup; what she couldn't finish they boxed for her. The fish sandwich was good in a tasteless way. The breading had no discernible spices and the fish was very bland. The accompanying fries were good but not at all crispy; very "limp" and wilted. But with the size of the portions, we didn't leave hungry. Value/Quality-wise, the Strip has better to offer...before they close at 3.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Try to get a seat on the outdoor balcony.....the people watching on the street below is fabulous! The Bloody Mary's are wonderful....the Lobster Roll's were awfully expensive when you can get them at the market across the street for half the price.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

As an East Coaster, I find it hard to eat seafood anywhere beyond the right or left coasts. It just seems wrong. But this spot in the heart of Pittsburgh's Strip District does not disappoint. We visited over the weekend with our baby daughter, and my inlaws. I started with a bowl of New England clam chowder - the size of which could rival the Stanley Cup for capacity. I almost didn't need my second course of chicken wings which were equally delicious, and also rather large. My inlaws each got fish tacos which were gigantic. My wife got a crab cake sandwich which she also rather enjoyed. They have an excellent beer selection of local, craft, and imported brews. If Yuengling is more your thing, they have that too! We left full and happy, and had no intention of eating dinner later that evening. Next time we are in town I may try the raw bar.