“Fabulous!!”

Centi Anni Alla Famiglia
Ranked #76 of 2,150 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Fabulous!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our first visit to this restaurant. We both thought it was excellent; we will definitely go back. The staff were friendly and attentive. There is valet parking too. The bread was warm, tender and delicious with the "holy oil," goat cheese spread and the cheese. The salad was really good; I especially enjoyed the sweet pecans in the salad. Our meals were delicious! I had the lobster cakes on spinach and the sauce for the lobster cakes was to die for. My husband had the linguini del mar in an Alfredo sauce; there was a whole lobster tail in the dish! For dessert I had the raspberry tiramisu and my husband had sabayon gelato. Servings are large. It is pricey; not a place to eat everyday but certainly worth visiting on occasion. Highly recommend you try this restaurant .

• Visited April 2014

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lives up to the billing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I have an O in my last name, so rule number one in my family, is you never eat Italian food out. Alla Famiglia changed that for me. The atmosphere--can't explain it--there's several different rooms on three floors, so wherever you're at, it's very intimate. Mike, the manager--I've never been to a restaurant where it's the manager who essentially waits on you, and your every need. May I recommend sitting downstairs, where you can watch the chefs in action. I'm a big fresh ingredients type of person. Everything I had here--their sauce, their mozzarella, their salads--all fresh. I thought their pasta was homemade--Mike said it wasn't, but what does that say when the manager is telling you the truth like that? Not to mention, that it tasted like it was pressed out of a pasta machine. The secret to Pittsburgh is finding these hole in a wall type places. I've passed by this restaurant numerous times, but stuck to my guns on not eating Italian food out. This is a can't miss place. Come here expecting to pay, but you get what you pay for. Might also sound like a little thing, but there's no TV or anything here--you can actually come here and forget about life for awhile. As you can see, I went to this place last night--still raving about it, and already waiting to get back again. Certainly lives up to the No. 2 billing.

Visited March 2014
“Mediocre experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My expectations were pretty high for this restaurant as it came highly recommended by some friends. When we got there the staff was highly disorganized and actually gave our table to another party which left them scrambling to find a table for us to sit. The staff also seem quite unprofessional...as if this is each of their first jobs as servers. There were multiple times during the meal where we discussed how it felt like we were at a 24 hour diner and not an over priced restaurant. The service was well below what you'd expect at a "nice" restaurant. Once we did sit down the waitress assured us that fresh bread was warming in the oven...when the bread came out it was so cold in the middle it felt as though it was a frozen dough ball they tried to pass off as homemade. We had the calamari as an appetizer which was good...not fried but sautéed and still tender. The salad was next which was also good but it's pretty hard to screw up a salad. Next was the pasta course which was good as we'll but hen the waitress admitted that it was no homemade pasta but rather boxed dry pasta...if I'm paying $70 for my entree, I'd expect to at least have homemade pasta! Then the main course...I ordered the lamb tenderloin and my boyfriend ordered the veal chop. The veal came out good...he was very happy. The lamb on the other hand was terrible. I ordered it medium rare and it came out extra well done. Then, after I sent it back they told me they had run out of veal and they would give me another entree on the house. So I ordered the filet. Two minutes later, the manager came out and said they actually wouldn't give me the filet because "the chef never over cooks meat and this is a fluke that it happened tonight" I decided to pass on any main dish and just called it a night. With menu prices at $45+ I'd expect much better service and food. We both agreed we'd never go back. If you want good italian food in Pittsburgh you're much better off going to Valozzis or Joe Tambellinis. Better service, food and location at both of those places.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank Katrina F
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Italian in the Burg”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Let me start out by saying that we rarely look to dining out for Italian food. We have found that to find quality Italian worthy of spending $$ outside of our own home has been difficult to find in the Burg. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of Italian restaurants out there, but none we would seek out for a special occasion, so to speak. We have always found the New York/New Jersey establishments more to our liking....until now.

Alla Famiglia is nestled in a not so nice of a neighborhood in the Burg called Allentown. Although we were never worried, but I could see how some may feel it is out of place in it's location. There is valet parking, so need to worry about your car while dining. Now once you are inside, you will soon forget where you are.

The inside is very small and there are 3 floors where you may be seated for your meal. On this occassion, we were seated on the third floor. Way up, climbing 3 flights of stairs can work up an appetite. Once on the 3rd level however, you can enjoy some of the religious artwork and beautiful stainglass featured throughout the dining area. There were 5 tables of various sizes and the bonus was the private restroom located nearby, so you did not have to manage the steps again until you were finished with your meal.

I would also like to mention that we were dining early and although the room was rather private at first, it became QUITE loud as the evening went on and other patrons were being seated. I also think the free flowing wine helped the noise levels as the night progressed. Needless to say, we had difficulty hearing one another towards the end of the meal.

There were 5 in our party and our server was very attentive throughout the night to make sure any requests or special customizations were welcomed and met. We started our meal with the complimentary bread, dipping oils, goat cheese spread and cheese medley brought to the table. We all agreed to share the famous 12 oz stuffed meatball which was enjoyed by everyone at the table. In fact, everyone was asking for more of the wonderful sauce to accompany thier bread.

Several items are served family style and come with any of the entrees that are ordered. We were then delivered and very tasty salad tossed with a light vinegarette which included olives, nuts and cranberries. Gorgonzola was brought on the side if desired. Then the pasta with vodka sauce made it's arrival. Several mentioned that they would have just ordered this if they knew how delicious it was. And this was just the beginning....

On came the entrees, several veal dishes were ordered, as it is their signature item on the menu. Although there were also many specials offered that night, everyone seemed to gear towards the classics. I ordered the veal marsala, which was delish! It was certainly one of the best I have had. One member of our dining party ordered the special pork chop offered that was huge! Another entree ordered was the filet mignon topped with lump crab meat and gorgonzola cream sauce. It literally melted in your mouth! I decided this would definitely be ordered on my next visit. All the food was cooked perfectly to order and scrumptious!

We were all pretty full but decided to share the Burnt almond tiramisu stuffed with raspberry for dessert. It was divine! I swear I heard the angels in the nearby painting sing as we devoured it!

As others had mentioned, it is a bit pricey, but for special occassions it is a must do. I felt it was quite worth every penny of our bill which was $306 for the party of 5. (We did BYOB) We have dined at much more expensive establishments and left unimpressed, which was not the case at all here.

The only negative was the long walk down the steps through the many other diners after too much wine. It can be challenging! So, watch your step! But do make a visit, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited February 2014
“Delicious!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous restaurant! The food was superb! We started our dinner with Escarole and Beans. The spicy Italian sausage in this dish was an added bonus! We used our bread to soak up what remained in the bowl! The salad dressing alone is worth the trip to the restaurant! They're famous for their Big Meatball but the Veal Chop was unbelievable! We also had the Lamb Loin. Lots of sharing happened at our table. The Pistachio Pie and Cheesecake were perfect. I was shocked we had room for dessert! I can't wait to go back!!!!!

Visited January 2014