“Classic Pittsburgh restaurant”

Amel's Restaurant
Ranked #264 of 2,254 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Greek, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Amel's specializes in fresh, delicious dishes from around the Mediterranean. We have kabobs, seafood, pasta, steaks and salads as well as Middle Eastern favorites. We have creative daily specials, and plenty of sandwich, appetizer, soup or salad choices for those eating light or late. There are many healthy choices on the menu, as well as gluten-free and vegetarian options. Our bar has 9 beers on tap and a great selection of imports and seasonal beers. There is a different bar food special each night. From burgers to flatbreads, gyros & wings... we have it all! A casual atmosphere and friendly service accompanies fresh and delicious food. Join us for Saturday and Sunday Brunch, we are open 7 days!
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've heard about Amel's for 20 years but finally made it here - an excellent meal and atmosphere. The appetizer platter with baba, tabbouleh and hummus is a must, as well as the freshly grilled pita bread. Our waiter was attentive without being overbearing and while there were bar patrons in the front, you would not know it. I will be back!

2  Thank pucktraveler

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We almost always go to Amel's on my Birthday, because this is my favorite restaurant in town, and this year was no different. Amel's is a truly great restaurant, and I really mean that in every sense of the word. It is a sensory delight from the kitschy Arabian Nights decor, to the aromatic entrees of Couscous and Lamb Jasmine. Their Mediterranean specialties are the best in the City-- they can't be beaten for stuffed Grape Leaves, Spanakopeta, Red Pepper Hummous and their mintyTubbuleh Salad. Portions are large and beautiful to behold. If you don't like Mediterranean Cuisine, they offer many alternatives, including sandwiches and "American" specials. The Waitstaff is delightfully old school in their aproach to Service-- attentive but not intrusive, making suggestions when asked, and willing to do just about anything for you. I'm still upset about the pita bread change that has taken place here, and I always mention it to them everytime I go, because their pita used to be tender, fragrant and delicious and is now thin and hard and tasteless. While I definitely miss the pita, I don't quite think this demerit is enough to take away their position on my list as the BEST restaurant in Pittsburgh. Worth the trip to the near South Hills of Pittsburgh, but you will need a car as public transportation to this area is sketchy.

2  Thank evangeline57
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great service good atmosphere and lighting. Worst gyro meat my husband and I have ever eaten! Waitress told us they were trying a new type of gyro meat and to let her know what we thought. Terrible! Looked like a dried up hamburger patty -no shaved meat here waitress said they never had the type that is shaved off in strips !!!! How can they say they are the real thing! Went to eat a piece of pita at the end of our meal -couldn't even bite or tear a slice in half. Hard as a rock! My husband and our friends wii never come here again. Tooany other mid eastern restaurants around. Horrible food. And too high priced for bad food

1  Thank Mirmar249
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our family is native to the Pittsburgh area, but this was our very first experience at Amel's. What fun! We started off with the mezze appetizer platter, and enjoyed it immensely. Our party of five each experienced something different from the menu, and each enjoyed their meal. From the Moroccan cous cous to the gyro platter, we weren't disappointed in anything. Our waitress was very friendly, and the ambience was old school in a great way! Give Amels a try!!

1  Thank Cachingcritics
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A friend and I recently revisited one of our favorites, Amel's, and were very disappointed. I've always gotten the maza platter--this time it was half the food for an increased price. The baba ganouge tasted like baby food and the hummus was tasteless. There was no feta, olives, or tomatoes. The fatoosh was awful. The service was great, so it has to be the kitchen. Although I'm wondering how my other favorites have fared (Is the Amel's salad still good? How about the she crab soup?), increased prices, decreased portions, and undistinguished food guarantee I'll never return.

2  Thank Colesmom300