“My favorite all-time restaurant!”
Review of Amel's Restaurant

Amel's Restaurant
Ranked #267 of 2,266 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Greek, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Amel's specializes in fresh, delicious dishes from around the Mediterranean. We have kabobs, seafood, pasta, steaks and salads as well as Middle Eastern favorites. We have creative daily specials, and plenty of sandwich, appetizer, soup or salad choices for those eating light or late. There are many healthy choices on the menu, as well as gluten-free and vegetarian options. Our bar has 9 beers on tap and a great selection of imports and seasonal beers. There is a different bar food special each night. From burgers to flatbreads, gyros & wings... we have it all! A casual atmosphere and friendly service accompanies fresh and delicious food. Join us for Saturday and Sunday Brunch, we are open 7 days!
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Amel's is just the best of everything you could ask for in a restaurant. Great food, terrific service, neighborhood feel, upscale, casual, family, Greek, Italian, wonderful bar, always great food, etc. I could go on and on. My favorite place to eat when I lived in Pittsburgh, and now that I live in Virginia, Amel's is my favorite place to eat in Pittsburgh. I always visit each trip back!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

The grape leaves are absolutely wonderful. For middle eastern food this is an excellent place to go! Very reasonably prices and excellent food and drink.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

I've been going to Amel's for over 30 years -- loving the huge salads and large plates of hummus and baba ganouge...While the food still tastes the same, the portions have been downsized...Not a bad thing when ordering individually, but not so great if you're with a crowd...We've always ordered the dips as an appetizer -- and hey came on dinner sized plates with a basket of hot pita...Now they come on salad-sized plates -- too small to serve 4 -- and the pita is no longer the wonderful home-baked variety, but tastes more like the grocery store stuff...The salads have been halved in size -- no longer sized for dinner, but more like a side-dish...My daughter and I usually order the shish-ka-bob salad -- and were very disappointed with the 4 small pieces of lamb sitting on top of a small bed of Amel's signature salad...While delicious, it definitely wasn't worth $14.99 -- $8 more than the regular salad without lamb...At $2 per cube, I think I'll bypass the meat next time...If there is a next time...Matter of fact, their standard shish-ka-bob is $20 for one skewer and some rice...Amel's has raised the price on almost everything on their menu by $5-7 -- definitely more than I want to spend for good, but not exceptional, Middle Eastern food...

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Amel's is a cozy, atmospheric neighborhood restaurant in the near South Hills of Pittsburgh. It is really not accessible to the city except by car or taxi, but it is well worth the cabfare if you are looking for a reasonably priced, delicious meal among real 'Burghers. Dress is casual and cuisine is classic Mediterranean with a few standard "American" dishes available for those who are less adventurous. The specials are always imaginative and the generous portions assure you will not leave hungry. Highly recommended is the Maza Platter with its garlic rich hummous, tabboule salad, stuffed grape leaves and the flakey spanakopeta with savory spinach and feta filling. Also wonderful is the Empress Chicken entree and Artichokes with Parmesian appetizer. The Waitstaff is superb-- longtime servers who know their customers and know their "stuff". Beautiful desserts are on display; if you don't get here early for dinner, you'll have plenty of time to check them out before a table opens up.

1  Thank evangeline57
Reviewed September 8, 2011

This place is very very cute! The bar is rather large for the size of the restaurant and the bartenders there know their wines as well as the large selection of beer the restaurant carries. The food is above average but not anything to write home about. The staff is friendly but a little slow especially for parties of 5 or more. The prices are reasonable. I would recommend this place to my friends but I would clarify this will be a good solid dinner but nothing spectacular.