“Following a recommendation”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 29, 2012

from a fellow met at the hotel across the street, I have now dined at Palazzo on three separate visits to Pittsburgh. Each time ate at the bar, each time had good service, enjoyed the company and had fine Italian fare. Too bad each visit cannot be planned so I can enjoy a cannoli for dessert.

1  Thank Russ K

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I work nearby and had lunch there. While a bit pricey for an every day lunch, it's worth the treat now and then. It's also a great place for a business lunch. I had grilled salmon with a different salad than on the menu and the waiter was more than accomodating. The salmon was a generous portion, cooked perfectly. Service was great!

1  Thank meeshatoo
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My two teen daughters and I chose this restaurant based on very positive reviews on Urban Spoon and Trip Advisor. Expecting good things, we overlooked the hard, cold (as if from the refrigerator) bread and the tasteless, watery fried calamari. The ceasar salads were fairly good, but the croutons were soggy and chewy. Still optimistic, we welcomed our entrees. Each of us was trying to be polite, but eventually we all admitted that the food simply was not good. I tried to eat my linguini fra diavolo, but the sauce was like a cheesy tomato sauce from a can and the shrimp tasted like they were freezer burned. My older daughter had farfalle with mushrooms, which she said tasted odd, and my younger daughter had spaghetti and meatballs, a typical favorite for her, but she also could not eat the meal. We each ate less than 1/3 of our dinners, despite being quite hungry. The service was very good, however. The waitress noted we were't happy with the food and brought a complimentary dessert. Still,this clearly was the worst $100 dinner I've ever had...

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The atmosphere was good. The martini was not made right. I enjoyed my tortellini. but only 3/6 of us enjoyed their meals. My wife hated hers. The chicken picatta had no sauce. Was like a fried chicken finger. The diavolo sauce was not spicy and was bland. For the price you pay, you would expect better quality food and ingredients. This was not the case. The meatballs were good though.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I have conflicted feelings about Palazzo’s and you will soon see why. Walking in on a Wed night solo, I was greeted by a very warm (albeit empty) old-school Italian restaurant. I sat at the beautiful marble bar and immediately the cordial bartender Larry, was at my beck and call. I ordered a Beefeater Gibson martini up, and he seemed very happy to make one; not too many Gibsons are made these days.

He was very pleasant and made an excellent drink. Since the place was pretty empty, the manager was also in the bar chatting about Pittsburgh, sports, politics, and also was very friendly. I went with my order: started with the escarole with beans, followed by a stand-by spaghetti & meatballs.

The escarole portion was large and almost like a stew; nicely cooked leaves of escarole mixed with a spicy tomato sauce and a good amount of cannellini beans. It was excellent, satisfying and could well stand as a meal on its own. I then proceeded to have the worst pasta I’ve ever had in a restaurant. The spaghetti tasted and looked like it came from Chef Boyardee. The sauce was flavorless and bland. The noodles were cooked light years beyond al dente and were mushy, starchy and awful. The meatballs were decent, but the pasta was so bad filet mignon couldn’t have saved them.

I really want to give Palazzo’s another shot since the service, staff, ambience and escarole were fantastic. But to screw up such a simple and classic dish I am worried about how some of the more complicated items will come out.