“I'm German and I was NOT impressed”

Max's Allegheny Tavern
Ranked #54 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: German, Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I'm German and I was NOT impressed”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stopped by this tavern during a recent business trip to Pittsburgh. I grew up in Germany and lived there for almost 20 years and was really excited to try this restaurant - since I miss german food a lot. Unfortunately, this restaurant did not impress me. I was standing at the entrance for 3-5 min before a hostess came up to me to seat me. The bar was crowded for a Thursday evening. I tried the Potato pockets and the "supposedly" famous Potato Reuben sandwich. The potato pancakes were soggy and soft, the potato pockets (also called perogies in other restaurants) were soft and tasteless. I left disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank T D

London, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a neighbourhood restaurant but.... The food is authentic German-American. Schnitzels are superb with two side orders part of the price. There are excellent sandwiches with sausages predominating over many other choices. Desserts are limited but again the German flavour peeks through, think strudel.

Expected lent value and wonderful service.

1 Thank SueKot
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Favorite For A Reason”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Max's has become one of my favorite restraunts in the burgh. I take the family there the first night of every visit.
Max's is divided into a bar area and several small dining areas. The bar is ALWAYS crowded. The dining areas can get crowded but seating is usually readily available.
The beer selection is very strong; bottled and draft, imported and local. They offer a nice sampler to allow a person the opportunity to experiment.
The food is just outstanding in quantity and quality. True, some of the cuts of meat are American cuts adapted to German recipes. But that accommodation does not harm the final product. Dishes are served promptly and hot. Sides are served with the entrees.
Give Max's a try. You will not be disappointed. And if you find a better meal in the Burgh, review it. IwI'll be the first to give it a try.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank G C
Indiana, Pennsylvania
“True German”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was a regular customer when the Pgh Public Theater was on the North Side. I am of German descent and an often visitor to Germany. This place comes close...I like the Sunday brunch. Do they still have authentic entertainment at brunch?

Wexford, Pennsylvania
“Best German food period”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Its been at this location forever.The German food is the best I have eaten any where in the USA. A good selection of German beer compliments the menu. Its tucked away off the mainroad but worth finding.

• Visited October 2012