“Good Neighborhood Place”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Mount Lebanon
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We end up at Bado's a lot when the more popular places around the Malls are all packed with long waits. It's a tiny place in one of the secondary commercial areas of Mt Lebanon, but I really do like this block of Beverly Rd-- it reminds me of a small town Main St. Also, we live close enough to walk, which makes for a nice outting in the evening.

Sandwiches and Pizza are King here. I love the Reuben Calzone (HUGE) and the Hot Pastrami on Rye. Their French Fries are great, but we usually order a side to share since it's just too much for one person (even if the other person is a big eater). They also have decent pasta dishes and delicious Eggplant Parmesian. Prices are fairly average for Pittsburgh with Entrees in the low teens and sandwiches under $10.00. I agree there is a Beer problem here at times, which seems to be bitterness. I've been told this means the Beer is stale. When this happens I just send it right back and ask for something completely different.

I also like their breakfast a lot but wish they started earlier. They don't even open till 9:00-- too late for me. The Pancakes and Belgian Waffle are great but tell them if you don't like all that powdered sugar and whipped cream crap on top. Also good, generously portioned Omelettes, and really tasty Home Fries.

A couple of complaints: The Hostesses are so unprofessional here. They always try to seat you in the Bar area first, no matter how empty the Dining Room is; and they will put a single couple-- obviously out on a date-- right next to a booth with 2-3 little kids whining and crawling around even if there are 5-6 empty booths all over the Dining Room. Seriously, every time we eat here, I have to "discuss it" with the Hostess. The rest of the Staff is very friendly, though.

The back part of the Dining Room is way too cramped with tiny little 2-seaters, and tables running perpindicularly against the opposite wall. When people are seated there, it crowds the 2-seaters in so badly that last time our Waiter had to lean over the railing by the coat rack in order to serve us; and when we left, 3 diners had to actually get up and stand in the middle aisle, so we could exit. (Believe me, we're NOT that big!) The upstairs Dining Room should be opened up so that people aren't on top of each other downstairs.

Sometimes the Bathrooms are really a mess! They should be policed several times per shift.

Anyhow, I do like Bado's because it feels like "our place." We've had a couple of parties here, in that upstairs Dining Room, and they did a very nice job for us, but I must caution that it's really nothing special. One last note: Fight the tempation to sit out on the Patio upstairs in the summer. The garbage cans are right below you and not only does it stink in the hot weather, but you could also be attacked by bees and flies!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Been here many times. Good pizza - not great. Beer list more than makes up for any food questions. Margherita pizza is pricy but very tasty

Reviewed August 20, 2011

My son and I dropped by Bado's after a Pirate game. Great atmosphere, convenient location south of the city, and a history of having decent pizza is what made me decide to give it a shot after not having visited in years.

The atmosphere is still terrific! Bado's is a nice, little place. And their other food might be good, but what I had was NOT.

I asked for a light beer. Server said they don't really have any light beer on draft, and gave me the lightest one they had on draft. It was NOT good. I don't even know what it was. It was quite bitter. What's the deal? How hard is it to have Miller Light on tap?

I ordered a personal pizza. In the mood for seafood, I ordered it with crab and shrimp. It noted in the menu that they charge 2 times as much for shrimp as for a traditional topping, and 2 and a half times as much for crab as for traditional toppings. "GREAT," I thought. That means they're probably using real crab, so I'll pay the extra amount.

The dough was good, the sauce was also good, as was the cheese and the shrimp, but they use FAKE crab meat! Last time I was in the grocery store, the difference in price between fake crab meat and pepperoni is negligible, and doesn't really justify charging 2 and a half times more for fake crab meat than for pepperoni. I don't mind paying even MORE than 2 and a half times more for crab than for pepperoni. But don't give me FAKE crab meat. It should be noted on the menu that it is NOT real crab meat. I never would have ordered it if I had known.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Good pizza, but definitely not a good place to watch a sporting event.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
ProfileMockup
Reviewed November 19, 2007

If they screw up your delivery and put anchovies on your supposedly vegetarian pizza, they may just send the Meet Joe Schmo guy out with a replacement pizza and an apology! Whoo-hoo! The bar has a good variety of beers on tap and will do takeout growlers.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook