“Still the best!”

Neighborhood: North Oakland
Rochester, New York
“Still the best!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I first had dinner here with an adventurous friend in 1972 while we were working on our undergraduate degrees at Pitt. It was great!!! This past weekend, my wife and I took my daughter and her friend here for the first time and I can say that Ali Baba's still has the best Middle Eastern food in Pittsburgh (and perhaps Pennsylvania). The hummus, stuffed grape leaves and baba ghanouj each have a unique flavor and are absolutely delicious. The salads have a wonderful lemon -based dressing that will delight your tongue. The lamb shish kabobs don't quite have the same seasoning they did forty years ago, but they are just as good! Save room for some arabic coffee, that is so rich it tastes like chocolate, and definitely save room for dessert (it comes with your dinner)! The kanafi is heavenly and the baklava drips with honey! If you've never tried these.... do so!

As all of the other reviewers have noted, this is not a fancy restaurant. Typically, it would not rate five stars. However, it is the best restaurant of its type in Pittsburgh! It is also family run, the atmosphere is pleasant, it's prices are very good, the service is nice and it's a BYOB. So make it a special night. Leave the jacket and tie at home, grab a couple of friends, pick a good bottle of wine, bring it with you, and be daring! Order some things you've never tried before and share! You won't regret it.

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
“Good stuff!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Favorite place for a gyro in Pittsburgh. I like better than mike and Tonys. They have great hummus also.

Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great Middle Eastern Food”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Nothing fancy inside, but well worth going there because the food is excellent. My favorites are the tabouli, hummus, and chicken kebob dinner which includes a salad with a delicious lemon dressing.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank lsscancun
New York City, New York
“One of the best restaurants in Pittsburgh”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Not pretentious at all, just a regular family owned restaurant. Very authentic. Lets just accept it, there's no many options to eat out in Pittsburgh, one ends up paying a lot of money to eat just "ok" in a fancy place. That's why I recommend Ali Baba, it has saved our lives: good food, good price.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Submai
Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
“Great meal and service”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We are a family of five, including three kids ages 7 to 14. Two of my kids and I are vegetarian. (My husband and one child are occasionally omnivores.) We had dinner here on a Friday in July.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and my husband and I both attended college in Pittsburgh. Ali Baba was always a favorite of mine, and while we usually go to Pittsburgh at least once year to visit, it had been quite a while since we were able to eat here. (It isn't the first choice of the relatives we visit, whose kids prefer more typical American fare.)

Since we cook vegetarian at home, my kids generally like middle-Eastern food and were happy to go here. The atmosphere, food ,and service were great. There is a wide selection for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians, and we had lots of left-overs for lunch the next day. Dinner for 7, with some appetizers and dessert, came to just over $100 including tip.

Hope to get back there on future trips!

• Visited July 2013