“Old Workd Charm- thanks to a Trip Advisor”
Review of Cafe Zinho

Cafe Zinho
Ranked #256 of 2,178 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shadyside
“Old Workd Charm- thanks to a Trip Advisor”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We were in Pittsburgh for Carnegie Mellon parents weekend. Having failed to make dinner reservations, things were looking grim- every popular restaurant was booked all Saturday night. This is where Trip Advisor saved the day. Found highly rated Zinho, a Portugese restaurant with an award winning chef. And it had availability, which, along with the patrons (few parent/college kid groups) suggests this is local secret. Though close to Walnut Street shopping, A bit hard to find. Non-descript, even disappointing little building (I read once a service station). But decor, while a bit old world, charming. Family owned and the service was very attentive. Food was dynamite. My wife had Chilean sea bass special- very pleased. I had a very tasty liver, onion and bacon appetizer, and excellent duck dish (though a bit dry) in Grand Marnier sauce. My somewhat picky 13 year old raved about the salmon. Oh, almost forgot, the Portugese corn bread was Da Best! a bit pricey with Entreed $25-$30, but maybe that is Pittsburgh prices. We heartily recommend.

San Francisco, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“neighborhood gem on charming street in Shadyside”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I just returned from Pittsburgh, visiting there from San Francisco. We were 5 and each dish served was better that the last. The chicken livers were my favorite of the appetizers and the whole grilled dorade was beautifully presented and delicious. I love fish served whole and there are few establishments that serve it. We sat outdoors, around small tables right on the sidewalk and felt like we 'elsewhere'. And watched as people came and went, and chatted them up as they did. Very unique, warm atmosphere. It's one of my Pittsburgh favorite. go-to's.

• Visited September 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“As good as it gets in Pittsburgh”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Tony Pais is the best chef in the city. He has been for years. I love the casual atmosphere, you feel that you are in a small European bistro, Try the shrimp and crab gazpacho. I have had so many great dishes here over the years, I dont know where to start.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Djrbikes
Pittsburgh
“Fabulous Small Neighborhood Gem”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We arrived with a reservation and our own bottle of wine, and were treated to an exceptional meal. It's a small place with 2 outdoor tables on the sidewalk, and the food and service was absolutely first class. The gazpacho with crab and shrimp was perfect for a hot summer evening and the trout special with capers was wonderful. We absolutely recommend Cafe Zinho. Reservations are recommended and on-street parking is available (generally within a block) near this sidestreet location just off Ellsworth Ave. in Shadyside.

• Visited July 2012
Pittsburgh
“Nice, Small BYOB Restaurant”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We visited Zinho on a Thursday night. We had early reservations for 4. Restaurant was not busy when we got there, but full by the time we left. Chicken liver appetizers were excellent. A friend ordered the roast duck and I ordered the special soft shell crabs, which were in a sauce with capers. I requested minimum capers as I find they can overwhelm things. The chef did just as I asked. The duck customer and I shared our dinners - both were excellent, although I'd give the edge to the duck - a half duck with all bones intact, which is the way duck should be.
We brought wine which they promptly opened and served for us. Service was excellent and friendly. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Visited June 2012