“Nice, Small BYOB Restaurant”
Review of Cafe Zinho

Cafe Zinho
Ranked #325 of 2,159 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Shadyside
Pittsburgh
“Nice, Small BYOB Restaurant”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We visited Zinho on a Thursday night. We had early reservations for 4. Restaurant was not busy when we got there, but full by the time we left. Chicken liver appetizers were excellent. A friend ordered the roast duck and I ordered the special soft shell crabs, which were in a sauce with capers. I requested minimum capers as I find they can overwhelm things. The chef did just as I asked. The duck customer and I shared our dinners - both were excellent, although I'd give the edge to the duck - a half duck with all bones intact, which is the way duck should be.
We brought wine which they promptly opened and served for us. Service was excellent and friendly. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Visited June 2012

Houston
“Tasty BYOB”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Had a nice dinner there and enjoyed our own bottle of wine. Wait time was about thirty minutes as we did not have a reservation. Service was attentive but I could tell that the wait staff was overwhelmed with inside and outside tables. Mariscada (shellfish stew) was excellent. Best scallops and shrimp I have had in a long time. Sardine dish was excellent as well. Bread was pretty good - not as fresh as I would have liked but tasty. Overall solid choice and not too expensive - dinner for two came in at $55 and again, we brought our own wine.

• Visited May 2012
Kempten, Germany
“simply great!”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

a very nice place, unusual but very nice, comfortable and relaxed. The people are all extremely friendly and the food is incredibly fresh and delicious. Love it! so far the best especially at that price! by the way, its BYOB so bring a nice bottle of wine to enjoy with the great food)

• Visited January 2012
Pennsylvania, Usa
“Lovely Dinner at Cafe Zinho”
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Cafe Zinho is a small, European bistro-like restaurant in a former garage, just off of a shopping street in a neighborhood of Pittsburgh. The menu offered a variety of interesting entrees, and an oral specials menu was also presented. All of the food we ordered was excellently prepared and delicious. The restaurant was BYOB with a $5 corkage fee. The nicely decorated atmosphere of the restaurant was warm and inviting, but it was unfortunately too cold to enjoy the outdoor dining offered in the summer. We felt the service was appropriate for this type of venue, being not overbearing but always attentive. Two potential negatives are the possible difficulty of parking and the fact that they only take cash or checks, but neither of these were a problem for us. After waiting far to long to try this restaurant in our hometown, we will return hopefully many times.

Pittsburgh
“Worst meal I have ever had!”
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I can't believe that anyone would give this restaurant 5 stars; it doesn't deserve even one! Without a question, this is the worst restaurant that I have ever eaten at and I will never return. It should have gone out of business a long time ago.
I ate there for the first time 1 year ago on Valentine's Day. It was crowded and I attributed the poor service and mediocre food to the holiday. I returned recently on a Saturday night and the place was almost empty. We were offered the specials for that night but they didn't have enough for our table even though we were the first customers of the evening. The grilled sardines (appetizer "special") were awful and tasted like they were last week's garbage. My salad tasted like it was fished out of a vat of vinegar and was not edible. The dinner special (quail) was smothered in a suffocating sauce but was at least edible. The dessert was a thick glop of chocolate pudding that tasted like it came from an instant box recipe. The creme brulee (only one left) was just as bad.
The service is inattentive and my first wine glass looked like it had dried boogers on the side- it wasn't subtle.
I am amazed that I didn't end up with food poisoning. I get sick just thinking about the meal.

2 Thank snidePittsburgh