“This place used to be a favorite and go to for us. Then we saw the news...”
Review of India Garden - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Central Oakland
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We love Indian food, and this was one of our ALL TIME favorite restaurants in the city. We had gone many times over several years for the lunch and dinner buffet.

We more recently saw on the news that they had the health department investigating them. At first, we thought every restaurant can have problems...but this was disgusting. The news article spoke of rodents and roaches, food at unsafe temperatures, and drinking water scooped from a barrel....still water like that is beyond unsafe and just honestly sick.

India Garden had our full trust and we WERE repeat customers, but we truly felt that we were played as they obviously do not care about the safety of their guests. We are thoroughly disappointed and saddened in their lack of concern and professionalism as restaurant owners. We tried to comment/email them through their website when this news broke, but they had disabled it - another example of them not wanting to deal with this issue that they brought on themselves.

Although I wish I could recommend this place, I strongly recommend that you know the health concerns they have dealt with recently. There are other Indian restaurants in the city that we have not heard issues about - try one of them first. Looking back, I hate to think about what I was truly eating and exposed to in this restaurant.

2  Thank ScottFamily814

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This restaurant was just shut down by the health department. Apparently they have cockroaches on their buffet, food temperatures too high and are washing dishes with dirty water.

It is too bad, I have gone their a lot in the past. Not anymore.

2  Thank Kathyj0612
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Everything I love about Indian food, aromatic, rich, creamy, tender, clean. Generous proportions, friendly staff, fun atmosphere... favorite part is when they play Indian music videos.

I love to cook and do so often. Many times I go to a restaurant and leave thinking, why did I waste my time & money? I could have made this at home at a better quality & price. Going out to eat should be a treat. There is no way I could replicate the delicacies of India Garden!!!

I would take 1st timers here. They have a buffet that offers a wide variety. They give an option for how spicy you would like a dish.
Vegetarian options, not sure about vegan options. Interesting place for a date. 50% off at certain times!!!

Parking might be an issue due to their location on Atwood St, right in the middle of Oakland, a dense college & medical campus. Streets are generally safe to walk, so don't feel intimidated if you need to walk a block or 2 over. General caution is always a plus. ;0D

This is my 1st restaurant review & I am glad to write it for one of my fave foodie places located in Pittsburgh. There are a lot of great Indian cuisine places here in Pittsburgh but India Garden remains my fave.
Don't change a thing!!!

1  Thank Danielle L
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I paid around $11 for an open buffet. The food is not superb but good. Feels like visiting India. The place is clean and very nice.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I had a chance to go there for their Sunday buffet and I can say without doubt that the food was poor (and this is from an Indian) . The buffet was extensive but none of the items tasted good. Even the bread (nan) was dry and tasted bad.

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Monkey-in-town