“Just walked in off the street...” 4 of 5 bubbles

La Cucina Flegrea
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Southgate, Michigan
“Just walked in off the street...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Arrived here about 11:30AM on a Monday and were seated immediately. It is a nice little place. The food was excellent. Salad was fresh and quite different. Service was very good even as the restuarant started to fill up. Price was suprisingly reasonaable.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Hugh C

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Usa
“True Italian Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

La Cucina Flegrea is the real thing. I travel to Italy often and the chef is truly gifted in her renditions of favorites and original recipes. When I'm in Pittsburgh this is my choice for Italian food.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Monique V
“Good Italian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

A google search for Market Square restaurants led us to this one. We drove down to the square and took advantage of the valet parking ($7 + tips after restaurant validation). The restaurants is upstairs just off the square with a nice bar area. There was live music with a duo playing piano and double bass.

The pace of service was relaxed but we were not in any hurry. My son and I split a couple of appetizers and an entree (Calamari, Cozze e Vongole and Linguini di Scoglio). We were very happy with our meals and the food was very well prepared. If the bread had been warmer and the Calamari seasoned a little bit more it would have moved it up a notch.

It is a little on the pricey side due to its location, but it is worth a visit. However, don't be in a rush.

“Excellent authentic Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I ate at the spur of the moment at La Cucina Flegrea, and we were glad of our choice. Having travelled in Italy many times, we know how hard it is to find authentic Italian food in the U.S., but the selection here was wonderful. I had the Linguini al Scoglio, in a light tomato sauce with baby clams, crabmeat and shrimp. The sauce and the seafood were perfect. My husband had the veal al limone, and it was also cooked perfectly. The wine selection was good, but a bit pricy. I would like to return just to have drinks in the comfortable bar.

“Authentic Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Not sure why the reviews are poor on Yelp and Urbanspoon.....this place albeit quite expensive for Pittsburgh, was quite wonderful. Being served by the owner's son straight off the boat was a plus. Service was very good. Pasta tasty, spinach and garlic and olive oil, the best I've ever had......roasted red peppers were well balanced. Bread could have been warm.......tiramisu, good but not great.....Coffee strongly brewed :)

• 2 of 5 bubbles