“Was pleasantly surprised”

Dining options: Reservations
Winchester, Virginia, United States
“Was pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This restaurant used to be located in Squirrel Hill/Shadyside area and moved here about a year ago. We were very pleasantly surprised at what we received considering we all thought we were still stuffed from the brunch at the Grand Concourse. Veal with lemon sauce and three pastas rounded out our table and the only one who couldn't finish was me! I had the pasta a la rucola--spaghetti pasta with arugula, pine nuts, golden raisins. To die for. Desserts are homemade/housemade. My friend has tiramisu and I had the gelato. Save room for some.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth Q

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect, as this restaurant doesn't look too impressive at first. Fortunately, my initial thoughts were proven wrong. The restaurant is a bit dark, but overall it has a pleasant atmosphere. It is good for families and groups. The food was quite good and everyone at my table really enjoyed their meal. The portions are quite large, but you can take the remainders home. Overall, we had a nice time and a good and memorable meal.

Visited February 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Still a good restuarant!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We are so happy that La Cucina Flegrea is back! Had dinner there last night, and the new location is great! I love their mushroom ravioli, and so glad it is still on the menu! Our only dissapointment was our waiter. He was terrible! He acted terrified to tell us there was a $20 corking fee, which we knew and still brought a bottle of our own. We ordered the bruschetta appetizer, and we were not even half way through it when he brought our salads. No personality whatsoever. I waited tables all though school, so it has to be pretty bad for me to complain. The tiramasu is still just as delicious as it used to be! We will be back, but Anna needs to get her waiters in order!

• Visited January 2013
Denmark
“REAL and good cooked food”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is a real restaurant with cooked food AND an Italian restaurant and not a pizza-outlet as most "italian" restaurants in the US seems to be.
A reasonably long and varied menu with OK prices - no pizzas, wraps or sandwiches, a single steak and the rest is varied food.

A large (italian) winelist where many are served by the glass. Wines from most of the good regions in Italy.

Recommended when you are tired of "restaurants" that either are serving fast-food or steaks only or are very, very costly (and arrogant).

• Visited October 2012
Pittsburgh area
“Good but not Special”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We tried this restaurant when downtown recently. I like Italian food but had a hard time finding something on the menu. Most of the meals were either too spicy for my taste or contained seafood which I wasn’t in the mood for. I ended up getting the grilled sausage over rapini which was rather good, expensive for sausage, but good. My friend had the whole grilled jumbo shrimp which she liked but thought required too much effort to get out of the shell. We enjoyed our meals but not well enough to make a special trip into the city to eat here again.

Visited July 2012