“Great little Pittsburgh secret”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is an awesome restaurant! I feel like not enough Pittsburghers know about this little gem. It is right near the incline on Mount Washington and the food is amazing. High quality Italian food and it is BYOB. The servers are kind and very good at their job.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a group of 12. Some had been there before and for most it was their first time. The food was excellent but the service was outstanding

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I"m going to make this as quick as i can and give readers an idea what you're in for here. Do you want trendy? Not here. Do you want an hour long meal? Not here. Do you want a very affordable place where you can kick back a few bottles of wine and relax and let your anxiety roll away? Then keep reading.

You're going to be here a while. Go with another couple or two for the evening and just chill out. I've lived on Mt Washington for more than 10 years since i moved to pittsburgh after college so i've pretty much had the whole menu. My recommendations are to light up the Appetizers, they are very good and comparable to more expensive restaurants. I also think anything that is pasta-based here is excellent. Excellent. Anything that's not pasta based, say a veal or fish with vegetables, is more hit or miss. sometimes very good, sometimes so so.

Sure, the decor is definitely blah. Cheap tables, seats are comfy but not artistic, kind of a too-open floor plan. But look, there's a reason this place allows you to eat your fill, drink all the wine you can carry in the door, hang out for two hours with friends and put a smile on your face when you leave and when you look down at your bill you see you signed for something like $60 with tip for you and the little lady. That's not a bad night out at all.

And to me, the service is pretty good. Yes it's slow, but i've never been one that equates good service with bringing your food out as fast as they possibly can. (And i generally try not to dine with people who think that way). But they are very knowledgeable of the menu and will point you in the right direction if you ask them.

There's a reason you come to this place, and it's not the white glove treatment. If you want that, go to Grandview Ave for overpriced food/service, but you'll have a great view. For La Tavola, you're going to a BYOB people. And I certainly think it's a little gem tucked in Mt Washington.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Have been here a number of times and the food and atmosphere are outstanding. Best Italian in Pittsburgh. My wife usually gets the Hawaiian fish special which is great. I had the fish specials from the Christmas time menu and it was outstanding. One of our favorites.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My fiance and I lived around the corner from La Tavola and we absolutely loved it! It's the perfect date night restaurant. Bring your own bottle of wine and enjoy the delicious Italian cuisine.

The calamari is truly the best I've ever had - and I have had a lot of calamari! My favorite item is Jolina, named for the chef. The waiter said it was a good choice as she takes a lot of pride in her dish and puts a some extra love into it :)

One thing we discovered late before leaving the 'burgh :( , was their carry out pizza that you pick up through a side entrance to the restaurant. It is priced similarly to other pizza chains, but is significantly better quality. There are many other items on their take-out menu, but we never branched out from the pizza. That's also where we met Joe, one of the owners, who is charming and pretty darn funny. He chatted with us for awhile about his family and their restaurant. It is a truly wonderful family-run institution.

Regarding service: We have certainly had some waiters that are better than others, but we have never experienced any rudeness or anything to deter us from going back.

We'll be back in town soon and La Tavola is on our list of places to eat!

Buon appetito!