“Sometimes great/sometimes terrible”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Sometimes great/sometimes terrible”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We usually get good food at this Outback (sometimes steaks are overdone). However, depending on your wait staff you can have a nice experience or you can pull your hair out! Our worst experience was when our family (including kids and grandkids) dropped in for a birthday celebration. We waited over an hour to get our meals after placing our order (there were 6 of us). No one apologized or offered any compensation. On other occasions my husband and I (just the 2 of us) received prompt service. So you just never know. Are you willing to take a chance? Make sure you have the time.

• Visited September 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“not what it used to be”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We used to like this Outback Steakhouse, but it's gone downhill. My son, daughter in law, baby grandson and I went for dinner today. We arrived at 4 p.m., and we were seated right away. We had a very slow waitress, waited a long time for one cocktail and one beer. We ordered a blooming onion, and it was very crispy and overcooked.
My daughter in law and I both ordered the grilled salmon. It was awful! Overcooked, dry and no flavor. They looked like frozen fillets.
We waited 50 minutes for our food, and there were lots of empty tables.
The prices are too high for mediocre service and bad food. We will not return.

• Visited May 2014
Rockville, Maryland
“Very Good Dinner”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Due to a blizzard, my husband and I had to stop for the night at a hotel by the freeway. We didn't want to drive anywhere for dinner (the weather was THAT BAD), so we walked to an Outback Steakhouse that was right next to the hotel, sharing the same parking lot. What luck!

We wondered if we could find anything to eat there. A restaurant with the word "Steakhouse" in its name might not have anything for fish-loving vegetarians. However, we were delighted to find several fish entrees on the menu. I ordered the "Perfectly Grilled Salmon" and my husband, the "Simply Grilled Mahi." Both entrees were delicious! They came with sides of seasonal vegetables that were crisp, fresh and tasty.

With his dinner, my husband ordered a "Newcastle Brown Ale," which he enjoyed and pronounced quite good. I asked the waitress for Midori Melon on the rocks, and she said, "Would you like a melon ball?" Unfortunately, I thought she meant that the bartender would include a melon ball, an actual piece of a honeydew or cantaloupe, in my drink, which I thought would be a very nice touch, so I said yes. Somehow, my husband realized that "a melon ball" was probably a mixed drink, so he stopped the waitress to clarify that. Sure enough, he was right! Nether of us had ever heard of this drink, so we made sure the waitress understood that I wanted a plain Midori Melon on ice, which I got.

A couple of times, a waiter or waitress walked by, carrying a "Bloomin' Onion" for another table. It smelled wonderful, and looked intriguing -- a whole cooked onion! We decided that on our next visit to an Outback Steakhouse (one closer to home), we'll try that dish.

This was a good restaurant with a varied menu, a pleasant atmosphere, and friendly, courteous waitstaff and hostesses.

• Visited February 2014
Mars, Pennsylvania
“Place is going downhill”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Sometimes you can go to outback and get a good meal and a good steak and sometimes its pretty awful..My Steak was full of salt....They asked if it was not seasoned properly?....it was full of salt and then to have to wait another 30 minutes??...and to spend $50 when you can just go elsewhere....Thats Outback for you..this location in particular used to be jammed packed but not so much anymore...You can see the parking lot from the highway and can easily tell from driving by...Well...they offer an appetizer or some other type of food for a salty $25 streak..its just not worth the hassle and time if you get a bad meal and our visit was with a light crowd

• Visited December 2013
Jackson, Michigan, United States
“Awkward Location- Great Service”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This restaurant is located to where you can see it from the road but then have to figure out how to get to it afterwards. Took my Mother and Son to eat here. Mom had the Salmon, I had the Petite Sirloin. Serviced on a Sunday during a Steelers game, steak was almost burnt, and a really Fatty Cut of Meat. The waitress was bored so she ended up OVER attending us to the point where I had to ask for the check in the middle of the meal just to be able to eat my meal and carry on a conversation without her interrupting. Mom loved Salmon.. but improvements can be made here.

Visited September 2013