“Never Again!”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Never Again!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were attending the 2 o'clock show and had plenty of time for lunch. My sister and I both ordered salads. After 1 hour, they still hadn't arrived. The hostess said the shows never start on time!!! She then starts showing me how many people they had seated. She claimed there were 3 cooks in the kitchen, however, others were waiting over an hour for their food. When I said the seating was not my problem the hostess said "Don't you dare talk to me that way" as if she was my mother! Obviously, this woman must be the owner's mother or she would have been fired a long time ago after reading other reviews.

The sad thing is, this place is a great location for the theater and they will continue to get business however, I'm sure they lose a lot of return customers due to how long it takes to be served and particularly, they rude hostess.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Barbara M

Pittsburgh
“Bravo Franco - Not so much!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Recently stopped by Bravo Franco before a show downtown on a Friday evening. The place was packed. We did not have a reservation,but we were seated pretty quickly in the bar area at the counter that wraps around the outer wall. This is not an ideal seating location as the space is small and one feels the need to 'duck' evertime someone passes by. Our server was friendly enough, but, she seemd quite distracted by her dual bartending/waitress duties. Our appetizer was delivered without plates or silverwhere, had to find another server to assist. Also, our server never brought us bread, even though we asked her twice.
Could overlook the bad service as a onetime fluke, if the food were spectacular, but alas, that is not the case. Food is only average.
My pasta dish was floating in a sea of tomato basil sauce, and the pasta was overcooked to the point of being mushy. This could have been a great pasta dish becasue the tomato basil sauce was reallu very tasty. My companion had the Chicken Romano, which was served in a portion sized to feed 2-3 people. The chicken was very dry, and a bit tough to cut/chew. Have had better chicken romano is some of the local italian chains.
We probably will not return to this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank LoriFPittsburgh
Seattle, WA
“Bland”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I went out to dinner at this Ialian restuarant while in town for a convention. I went with 3 others, and we were looking for a nice, upscale restaurant, and since we were on expense account, weren't overly sensitive to price. Overall, the portions were larger than expected, and less tasty than expected. I had wild pacific salmon along with 6 raw oysters for an appetizer. The piece of fish that I received was about twice as big as I expected. It was served with a crumb crust and some sauteed vegatables. The salmon was OK. It was a bit dry, and the crumbs made it seem even drier. It was a little overcooked, perhaps because it was such a large piece of fish and in order to warm the center, the edges were overdone. A good chef should know how to overcome this issue, but apparently such a chef was not present that night. I am from the Northwets, and used to eating wild Pacific salmon, whether at a restaurant or fresh caught by friends. This was not a very flavorful piece of fish, it was just dry and bland. The vegatables were OK as well, good, but not great. Prices were what I expected to pay for an upscale restuarant.

The woman greeting us at the door was very nice and pleasant, and gave the restaurant a personal touch that I enjoyed. A companion tried both the red and white house wines, and was not overly impressed, in keep[ing with the theme that they were OK or a little better than OK, and the price was fair, but nothing spectacular. Too bad.

• Visited May 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“An Old Standby”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

While the orignial Franco is long retired they remain a good choice for pre or after performances in the Cutural District. Directly accross from Heinz Hall.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Bob S
Moon Township, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Running a bit late for dinner and opera, my daughter and I stopped into Bravo Franco with less than an hour until the show started. We told the hostess of our dilemma and she wisked us to a table, grabbed a waiter and gave him instructions to hasten our meal. He came promptly with water and fresh bread and took our order. The atmosphere was inviting and our dinners were excellent. Can't wait to return with enough time for dessert!

• Visited April 2013