“Special Night”

Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Well, we went early so we could find a parking lot close to the Benendum Center-to see Jeresy BOys. We wanted to eat before the show and we saw Bravo Franco, went in and said we did not have a reservation, they were booked but the hostess was very gracious and seated us at the bar, Dan and Nick waited on us. My guy ordered a steak and I ordered stuffed shrimp and I want to tell you they both were great. This was the best steak my guy has had so far. Dan and Nick made sure customers were all taken care of and very nice.I would recommend this place again and oh one more thing, we had dessert, oh my gosh - apple crisp was devine...thanks Bravo Franco, you made our night....Lin

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We arrived and were seated at 5:30 pm. Certainly enough time to make the 7:30pm show. Or at least you would think.
The waitress was rude, The service was terrible and the food overpriced.
By 7:05pm when the manager finally came to address the problem that we had not been served and the show time was quickly approaching we were given nothing but attitude and more excuses. When the food did arrive (and it was cold) we were told to stop talking and we would make the show. The bill was brought at the same time, slapped in our face plus it included an 18% tip!
My meal was supposed to be the 'special'. It included plain pasta with tomatoes and pine nuts, a very small side salad with a coke...........................$35.00!!!!!!!
Live and learn. What I learned was I could not wait to get home to write this review.
I will never, under any circumstances, return to this 'restaurant' again.

1  Thank Jackie P
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was in Pittsburgh for a conference at the Grand Wyndham. Looking for a place to eat and the conceirage recommended this place. we got there on a tuesday night and were able to be seated. Warning: the place is tight, i was bumped several times by wait staff. i also noticed that the two tables in front of us had the same issue. People had to squeeze by to get to the tables by the wall, customers and waitstaff. Saw many chair bumps and table shakes. Not sure why this place was crowded the food was only average. Why did i give it a 3? the house dressing was very good and they special made me onion rings. My chicken parmesian (spelling?) was ok and there was not a lot of flavor in the pasta or the sauce. according to my dinner companions the calamari was good. one of them ordered the shrimp al fredo and the other one ordered the lasagna. neither one finished their meal, they said the food was okay. now the lasagne was on special but it cost 24.95! i kid you not. i live in DC and very few if any places charge that much for a piece of lasagna. if they do charge that much they are one of the higher end italian places to eat and they can get away with it. the ambience was okay but i will not make a special trip back here. will try somewhere else next time.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I had never been to this place before but my husband and I decided to go because we were seeing a show at Heinz Hall which is right across the street. The food was delicious, however the waitress was rude and griping and swearing about her personal problems while standing behind the bar with customers around. She tried to overcharge us for our drinks. She charged my husband for 4 drinks when he only had 2 and tried to charge me for 3 drinks when I only had 2. She didn't even check on us enough to give us that many drinks. She served my husband the wrong food and she didn't even check on us to make sure we liked it and everything was ok.
We are a young couple and very laid back and we never complain unless it's really bad and this was. For how much it costs to eat there the service should be spectacular but it stinks. We also stood at the bar waiting to pay after the waitress snapped at us to go to the bar and pay. About 4 different waitresses went behind the bar and didn't even acknowledge us.
Overall, soooo not worth it. I'd pick somewhere like the Grand View Saloon instead.

1  Thank desi321
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Our party of 7 had an 8pm reservation on Saturday night prior to the Pittsburgh Marathon....we were not seated promptly, but it was a busy night due to the theatre crowd and other race participants so we were not too put out. By the time we were seated most of the crowd had cleared and the place was about half full. Our server immediately warned us that she might be a bit busy as they'd just seated 3 of her tables. (The neighboring tables were a party of 5 and a party of 2, which I would not expect to be challenging for a server with any experience.) Our orders were taken within a reasonable time, however our food was not delivered for nearly an hour. During our wait, requests for drink refills and more bread were met with a range of attitudes from helpful to surly, depending on the additional needs of the patrons around us.

When our pasta dinners finally did arrive, they were cold and it was apparent that at least half of them had been sitting out for some time--and all present rated their meal as mediocre at best.

The highlight of the evening came as a young girl at our neighboring table felt something crawling on her leg and jumped up--her father used a napkin to capture the offender, which turned out to be a healthy-sized cockroach!! The hostess/manager(?) did come to their table and apologized, said that they had just had an exterminator in 3 days before, but offered the excuse that "these buildings are so old". She offered little more apology than that, nor did she even offer them a discount on their meal!! As she walked away, she turned to us and to the couple seated at the next table, and said, "I'm so sorry you had to see that."

Me too, lady.