“Incredible view - decent food.”

The Grandview Saloon
Ranked #249 of 2,194 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located on scenic Mt. Washington, we are Pittsburgh's premiere restaurant and USDA Prime chop house. In addition to providing a spectacular view and ambiance, we feature delicious meals prepared by passionate and dedicated chefs, served to you by a cour-teous and knowledgeable waitstaff. We also offer carefully selected wines and fresh fruit martinis. Whether you are looking for a relaxing dinner experience or just getting together for drinks with friends, the Grandview Saloon & Coal Hill Steakhouse is the perfect place to go. We offer a unique dining experience like no other restaurant in Pittsburgh. There are several options to consider when choosing to dine with us. Our outdoor patio and upper deck overlooks the city and provides an amazing view of the Point, Heinz Field and PNC Park. The main dining room offers the same beautiful view but with a fine dining ambiance. Our Mezzanine is perfect for private dining and special occasions. You can always catch the game in our bar area while enjoying the view of the city. Reservations are encouraged if you are interested in dining with us. Please visit the contact us or special occasions section of our site for more information.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The view is unbelievable - we sat right next to the window overlooking Pittsburgh. We took the El up there and that was cool as well. Be advised that there are TWO of these and one is a mile away from the restaurant. We took that one and was okay with that as we'd been eating plenty and needed a good walk. Plus the walk is spectacular.

The food was pretty good to very good. The prices were way too high given the quality. One of our party ordered the porterhouse for 50$ - which is a little criminal that they'd even offer that. Another got the ribeye for 35. I got a Tijuana burger for 14. I could tell pretty early that this is not the place to order a prime steak. The steaks were actually okay - they had a brown sauce smothered over them - a bit like gravy. I would not have liked that. A good steak should not come smothered in anything from the kitchen. I got to taste both and they were pretty good. Not at all commensurate w/ the price. We had a nice calamari and hummus for appetizer - both fine. Kinda a bit olive garden like. Nice beers on tap. No desserts in our party of four.

Young lady who served us was great - very attentive. She seemed to be the best in the place. I gave high marks below for service - but might have just been the young lady we had. The front lady hostess kept busting out to the sidewalk in front of place to sneak a smoke...lol. Matter of fact a waiter had to go get here from outside to seat us.

The decor in the place is NOT the decor of a nice upscale restaurant. Closer to cafeteria-like.

I think I would go for lunch and get sandwiches/burgers/beer - view is great. Would not go for a fine dinner - I'd hazard a guess that the view/night lights at night might be pretty special. Just not matched by the decor and quality of the restaurant. And, BTW - glad that no one under 6 is allowed.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went there with my whole family of 8 on a trip to Pittsburgh trying to get a nice view from the restaurant, we took the Duquesne Incline up on Mount Washington and planned to dine at Granview Saloon based on review from travel guidebook.

When we arrive around 6pm, they asked if we have kids under 6 years old. My son is 5 years old. They said the manager said they can't allow kids under 6 as they had bad experience with young kids before.

Well, I know they have the right to refuse anyone to dine there but it doesn't seems like a high class restaurant but more like a family restaurant. I am very disappointed that they have such a policy, I have never had problem bring my son to a restaurant before. They just lost business for a party of 8.

Just want to warn you that don't go there if you have kids younger than 6.

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

High prices with cheap table cloths and a polite but dirty server with armpit hair exposed. Noisy staff with cold food. Bypass this place. There are much nicer places to dine.

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a couple times now, as I work close to the restaurant. The only dish I get is the Pittsburgh Chicken Salad. Grilled chicken, seasoned french fries, fresh greens and veggies and RANCH dressing! The salad is very good, and they give you a huge portion of it! However $20 might be a little crazy for a salad. If you're visiting from out of town this place would be the place to get "Pittsburgh Chicken Salad."

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We had reservations for New Years Eve Dinner at the Grandview. We were seated early and served promptly. The meal was outstanding with the ribs and steak. We enjoyed the casual atmosphere. The view was spectacular on a snowy night a top of Mt Washington. Riding the incline added to the special evening. We will be returning in a few months and a trip back to the Grandview is on the agenda.