“Dirty place, rotten food....”
Review of Georgetowne Inn - CLOSED

Georgetowne Inn
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I recently went with a large group of people to the Georgetowne Inn while we were in Pittsburgh. Walking in I immediately knew that it was going to be bad. It was one of those moments that should be on a Kitchen Nightmares episode. If I was Gordon Ramsey I would probably have been spewing out vulgarities the second I walked through the door. Since I was not in charge of the group I reluctantly followed the (very annoyed) hostess upstairs to our table. I examined the place-everything was outdated, and disgustingly dirty. Stained chairs, and carpet that i'm thinking was probably from the 1980s stood out the most. After sitting, we ordered and it took at least thirty minutes just for our "soup," "cheese plate," and "salads," to arrive. The soup was way too watery, cold, and had no flavor whatsoever. The cheese plate had dried cheese, and stale crackers. The salads were wilted, and browned with what seemed to be out of date dressing just globbed on the top of it.

This was only the beginning, they forgot completely to put my and other diners order in-I got to sit for an extra 20 mins on top of the hour and a half wait for the food, to even receive my meal. When it came out, I was not surprised at how bad the quality of food was. I was served a sad, over salted, RUBBERY, chicken marsala. Luckily, I didn't get the worst of it, others in my party had ordered filet and were brought not only undercooked filet but ROTTED filet. It wasn't even slightly bad, it was one of those pieces of meat where you KNOW its bad. I could smell it across the dining table! To top it off-the wait staff were incredibly rude and slow. Yes the view is pretty but I would have rather stood out in the freezing rain of that night to see that view, then have to sit through that meal again!

TERRIBLE.
TERRIBLE.
AVOID AT ALL COST.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went here recently for our anniversary. We had a coupon from Living Social, I believe. It was not like the ones from Groupon that everyone has mentioned. This one gave us $50 worth of food for $25 and allowed us to choose whatever we wanted from the menu. It is really hard to judge for me to judge this place because we don't normally eat in expensive restaurants. But based on what I saw walking down the street and online, I would say this is the poor cousin of the other restaurants on Mount Washington. The decor was really weird, sort of like eating in a cave on a mountainside. The meal started with the cheese plate as other people have said, then we had stuffed pepper soup and salad. They were both very tasty. They also brought a loaf of bread which was good but not excellent. We both ordered the prime rib done done medium. It was more medium-well when it arrived, but still tender and juicy so we didn't complain. It was also huge and very good. The Yorkshire pudding was overdone. I ordered pasta and my husband had a baked potato, both were nothing special. I thought portion sizes were more than adequate, and I am a big eater. We both had iced tea, and the waitress was very good about keeping those and our water glasses filled. However, we did wait a long time for our entrees and the waitress came and asked if we wanted dessert before we had even gotten our meals! As everyone has said, the view was incredible, but a table of obviously intoxicated patrons ruined whatever atmosphere the place might have had. As others have said, this place is obviously hurting because there are always coupons available for it on some website or other. That is because it doesn't fit in with the other restaurants on Mount Washington. If you insist on wine pairings, tuxedoed whispering waiters and strolling violinists, this is not the place for you. However, the other restaurants on Mount Washington don't offer coupons, so expect to pay twice as much. If you want a decent meal in a place that won't intimidate you or require a second mortgage, print yourself a coupon and try it.

1  Thank Beckybunny
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I made reversations a month early,when the day came..they could find my reservations..got seated anyway..there was not good about the food the view on the other hnad was really pretty..more than you could say about the ffod from the soup to the bread,,espicailly when it came to the popovers,,they were rock HARD and they were all brown and not cooked on the inside...very disappointed...would think twice before going again...could do better at home..for a lot less....money not worth it..go for the view.....

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife bought the Groupon deal for the Georgetown Inn as part of our trip to Pittsburgh. It's located in Mount Washington, and the view is absolutely spectacular. We went there for a Saturday dinner and got a corner table on the upper level which gave us views out two sides which was wonderful.

The Groupon deal has a set dinner with choice of shared appetizer, mains, and shared dessert from a set dinner.

The dinner started with a cheese course, some thin slices of cheese served on flatbread. It wasn't very good. Four slices and we didn't finish it. Then a loaf of bread showed up. It was about the size of a third of a baguette. The bread was okay but more than needed for two people.

For our appetizer, we chose the shrimp cocktail. I've seen some reviews complain about it, but we got four decent sized shrimp with cocktail sauce. Nothing special, just average.

It's the mains where it gets a little odd. My wife opted for the grilled salmon. It come with either pasta or broccoli, but not both. I opted for the 8 oz steak. It comes with a baked potato or broccoli, but not both. It seems rather incomplete as a meal when done this way. Well it was pasta and baked potato that was chosen. The salmon portion was a good size and was decently cooked and server with a hollandaise sauce. My steak came medium rare as ordered, but tremendously under-seasoned. The pasta was nothing special, and the baked potato is what it is, a baked potato. Each item (main, side) came on its own plate without any presentation. Let's just say the mains were aggressively mediocre.

We decided on the pecan crusted ice cream with chocolate sauce. It was a decent dessert.

Overall, the food was decidedly average. But the surprise for us was the bill. They showed what they consider the full value of the meal; I guess that helps with the tip for the wait staff. $93 before tax. Really!!!??? I've spent that before on a dinner for two and what we were served in no way represents a $93 dinner for two. It's barely passable at the price we paid for the Groupon.

Bottom line, the food isn't worth full freight and is barely makes the grade when discounted. Go for the view if you must, but you can get the same view from Duquesne inline platform next door and go elsewhere for dinner.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were a party of 20 celebrating a 70th birthday. The service was incredibly slow. My water glass was not refilled until halfway through the entree. I had a glass of wine before dinner and was never asked if I wanted anything else to drink. I had planned to order another glass with my entree. After I started my entree I asked for an iced tea, and the waitress never brought it until we asked for it. I was never offered a refill, even as both my water and iced tea glasses were completely empty when dinner was served. The French Onion soup was not warm enough. The salad was small. I ordered the prime rib-stuffed shrimp combo. I asked for medium and it came out closer to well. It would have been nice if it was served with a horseradish sauce. The side of pasta was very small. My son ordered the sirloin and crab cake special. The sirloin could not have been any smaller. We all left hungry. We were very disappointed by this experience, despite the amazing view of the city.