“food o.k., nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carlton

The Carlton
Reserve with OpenTable
The Carlton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 2,150 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 5th
Transit: T-Stop & bus stop
Description: Conveniently located in downtown Pittsburgh, within walking distance of the Convention Center & four major downtown hotels. A Pittsburgh favorite for over 20 years. Recipient of the Wine Spectator of Excellence 1995-2006 and The Dirona Award 2000 - 2006 (Distinguished Restaurants of North American). The Carlton has a spectacular cuisine, complimented with an extensive wine list served by polished waiters in a beautiful atmosphere. Pittsburghers know the value of the Carlton making it the spot for business meetings to celebrations.
“food o.k., nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2008

food o.k., nice atmosphere

Maryland
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

You'll walk in and notice the formal atmosphere, and it will seem stuffy, and you might notice that the patrons', on average, seem to be above the age of eligibility for social security. However, you may be pleasantly surprised at how good the food actually is. Nothing too trendy --rack of lanmb, steaks, chops, pasta, fish. but there are some creative items too. Good wines. Extensive list of deserts.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best house salad I've ever had!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

Best house salad I've ever had!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

Our party of seven ate here April 26th. It was the Univ of Pittsburgh graduation weekend, with our Daughter the graduate as guest of honor. The food was so excellent that we were taken aback....the cuisine and WINE list at the Carlton stands head and shoulders above all others we've tried in Pittsburgh over these 4 years, including Grand Concourse, Monterey Bay and Isabellas. We had drinks, appetizers, entrees and several bottles of wine, followed by after dinner drinks and coffees (with a limo standing by for the driving). Everything down to the complimentary dessert for the table to share, was wonderful. The only issue I had was with the service...The head waitress was great - but I felt we were being rushed, no, RACED, from the table by the servers. The appetizers were whisked away within seconds of a fork hitting the dish. Entrees started to appear with appetizers still on the table. Each entree dissappeared as soon as the person eating swallowed the last morsel. When the bus boy went to grab my plate as I was still eating - I ACTUALLY had food still on my plate and utensils in my hand cutting- I held up my palm and sternly said "NO". I specifically made our reservation for 7:45 figuring they would not be looking to turn over a large table at 9:45 but maybe I was wrong. Due to the excellence of the menu, this complaint did not ruin a great night. I would go back to give the Carlton another try.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good food. but too formal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

good food. but too formal.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to The Carlton? Share your experiences!